https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thoughts Of The Addicks

Started by White Noise, December 04, 2011, 05:58:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: CorkedHat on December 05, 2011, 09:53:13 AM
Quote from: LBNo11 on December 04, 2011, 09:07:49 PM
...thanks for the links WN; I had to laugh at the poster 'tangoflash's comments:-

"I'm sure, despite what their idiot fans say, their manager and players won't take us so lightly. If they do then they'll get what's coming to them. I know 2 Fulham supporters and both are complete idiots"

Well he has me at a disadvantage - I don't know ANY Charlton fans - does anyone on here..?

Here you go LB:

Glenn Tilbrook - Musician.
Dave Berry - TV presenter on MTV UK and CD:UK.
Gary Bushell - Journalist.
Jim Davidson - Comedian and TV presenter
Steve Davis - Snooker player,
Michael Grade - Chief Executive of ITV.
Charlie Connelly - Travel writer and broadcaster.
Karl Howman - Actor,
Steve Rider - ITV Sport.
Alan White - Drummer, formerly of Oasis.
Steve White - Drummer for Paul Weller.
Lee Ryan - Singer from boy band Blue
slapper Minger - Famous Racist

Hardly a list that would swell your chest with pride!
And Rodney Charlton trotter.

Vinnieffc

Add my missus to the list. She was raised in Greenwich and lived 5 minutes around the corner from the Valley. Should be an interesting few weeks in the Vinnie household  :011:

ClarksOriginal

Quote from: LBNo11 on December 04, 2011, 09:07:49 PM
...thanks for the links WN; I had to laugh at the poster 'tangoflash's comments:-

"I'm sure, despite what their idiot fans say, their manager and players won't take us so lightly. If they do then they'll get what's coming to them. I know 2 Fulham supporters and both are complete idiots"

Well he has me at a disadvantage - I don't know ANY Charlton fans - does anyone on here..?

I know one fan, he is thinks Charlton have been given a dis-service and the fact that they ended up in League 1 is undeserved. He is very arrogant about his team and has the impression they are still a massive club, sort of similar to spam fans.

I have seen Charlton play once, against Blackburn as part of my GCSE P.E course, it was freezing and we saw a game that was thoroughly dire. I think it ended 1-1 with el Kakouri scoring with a howitzer of a free kick in about the 94th minute. That was the year they were relegated.

On the plus side the Valley is a fairly nice ground.

I think we will do them, 3-0 or so.

COYW.
@sonikkicks on Twitter.

TonyGilroy

The Valley used to be the biggest League ground with almost no seats and the steepest terracing (by far) that I ever experienced.

A wonderful bowl to watch football in and Charlton have usually seemed to me to be a very likeable club.

Airfix

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on December 05, 2011, 09:55:46 AM
And Rodney Charlton trotter.

No, it was his mum who was the fan, he just got the name.

Edwatch_Winston_Malone

I remember us going to Villa in the cup, affraid  of nobody and expecting to win and we did...

CorkedHat

It is strange to think that in the fifties Charlton lost a lot of their grassroots support when they had the temerity to sign three or four South Africans. Many old Charlton fans couldn't tolerate this "foreign" invasion and never went to the Valley again. Imagine what they would think today when, sometimes, English players are the minority at some clubs. 092.gif
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: CorkedHat on December 05, 2011, 10:39:10 PM
It is strange to think that in the fifties Charlton lost a lot of their grassroots support when they had the temerity to sign three or four South Africans. Many old Charlton fans couldn't tolerate this "foreign" invasion and never went to the Valley again. Imagine what they would think today when, sometimes, English players are the minority at some clubs. 092.gif
Weirdly enough last time i saw us at the Valley i bumped into a load of South Africans supporting them (i think they had a SA player, Fish??). They certainly give the brummies a run for thier money in most disgusting accent in the World award.