more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (05/12/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, December 05, 2011, 07:41:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Raiding Palace

After their magnificent win at Old Trafford in the Carling Cup in midweek, the playing staff of the Selhurst Park club are being put under the microscope.

Already there are rumours that several Premier League clubs are looking at young Zaha whilst it is also being suggested that Fulham are amongst a host of clubs, including Newcastle, West Brom Aston Villa and Queens Park Rangers, who are monitoring their exciting right back, Nathaniel Clyne

Clyne, an England U21 player, is out of contract this summer and Palace may be forced to move him on in this forthcoming transfer window to claim any sort of fee.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=264634#ixzz1fdyxUdoJ

WhiteJC

La Liga Raid?

Has there ever been a Sunday when we`ve been the focus of so much possible transfer activity?

It`s almost as if we`ve become a fashionable club!

The latest to be an apparent target is the Rayo Vallecano left back Manuel Casado

The 25 year old has impressed in La Liga this season and with his club not being in the best of health financially, could be on the market this January.

Unfortunately, there will be serious competition with it being reported that Sporting Lisbon, Atletico Madrid and Villarreal are also showing interest.

Anyone get the feeling we might miss out on this one?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=264635#ixzz1fdzA4fK9

WhiteJC

Destination Sunderland

The appointment of Martin O`Neill as the new Sunderland manager could have ramifications for Fulham Football Club.

The Sunday press is awash with the inference that O`Neill wants to take Andrew Johnson to Sunderland in the January transfer window.

Apparently, AJ, who has not agreed a new contract with Fulham, could go in the transfer window for as little as £1 million, somebody, in our opinion, will be getting an absolute bargain.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=264630#ixzz1fdzRLGPw

WhiteJC

Destination Sunderland - The Sequel

Not only does it look as if Sunderland are about to fleece us of the services of Andrew Johnson, but they could also be looking to take another of our players to the north-east.

The same tabloid that is promoting the AJ move is also championing the idea that Martin O`Neill`s apparent fetish for elder midfielders could see him turn to thirty-four year old Danny Murphy to add some guile to the Sunderland midfield.

Is it me or is today slowly going from bad to worse?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=264631#ixzz1fdzhaSOL

WhiteJC

Bring it On!

Amongst the various rumours appertaining to transfer movement is one that infers Martin Jol is looking to bring a big name to Craven Cottage in January.

One tabloid has gone out on a limb to infer that Jol is looking to bring the out of favour Dimitar Berbatov to London.

Now 30, Berbatov isn`t a regular starter at Old Trafford and has fallen behind Rooney, Hernandez and Welbeck in the pecking order.

The inference is that Sir Alex Ferguson is looking to move Berbatov on in January and if a permanent deal can`t be brokered then Fulham`s loan ambitions could be realised.

Bring it on I say!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=264632#ixzz1fdztdvTY

WhiteJC

£12 Million?

Is the price dropping?

It doesn`t seem too long ago that a figure of £15 million was being bandied around with regards t a potential sale price for Bobby Zamora.

Now, with Europe teetering on the brink of another major financial crisis as the failure of the Euro beckons, it looks like a figure of £12 million would be enough to relieve Fulham of the services of Bobby Zamora, if anyone is prepared to test the clubs resolve to keep a striker who it is rumoured has something of a fractious relationship with his manager.

Will there be any takers I wonder?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=264633#ixzz1fe06viZm

WhiteJC

Fulham defender John Arne Riise claims to have made peace with Liverpool striker Craig Bellamy
Norwegian defender says he is looking forward to playing against the Reds' forward, with whom he was involved in the infamous golf club incident that caused a stir at the time

Fulham defender John Arne Riise insists that he has no hard feelings towards Liverpool striker Craig Bellamy.

During Bellamy's previous stint at Anfield, he was alleged to have attacked left-back Riise with a golf club. At the time, both players were understood to have been fined two weeks' wages by the Merseyside club.

But now the Norwegian says that the pair have put the past behind them, and all that remains is some friendly banter.

"We shook hands and settled it very quickly," Riise said, according to The Sunday Mirror.

"I came up against him earlier this month when Norway played Wales. We were winding each other up about it all. It's always good to catch up with 'Bellers'."

He added: "Liverpool have signed a great player for nothing."

Liverpool travel to London to take on Fulham on Monday at Craven Cottage, as they look to build on an unbeaten streak that has stretched to eight games.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/12/04/2787170/fulham-defender-john-arne-riise-claims-to-have-made-peace?

WhiteJC

Jol eyes Berbatov move as Fulham boss looks for attacking reinforcements in January

Fulham boss Martin Jol could offer Manchester United striker Dimitar Berbatov a route out of Old Trafford with a January loan move. 

The Bulgarian striker, 30, has become sidelined as Sir Alex Ferguson favours Wayne Rooney, Javier Hernandez and Danny Welbeck.

Berbatov has started just one Barclays Premier League game for the club this season and has scored only two goals: including one against Aldershot in the Carling Cup.

Outcast: Berbatov is no longer guaranteed regular first-team football

And his below-par performance against Crystal Palace in the 2-1 League Cup defeat has only hastened his exit from the club, according to The People.

United would rather find a buyer, but if none can be found Jol – who signed Berbatov for Tottenham in 2006 - will attempt to snap him up.

Fulham are also preparing to lose some of their attacking strength with Bobby Zamora, Andy Johnson and Moussa Dembele all attracting interest from other clubs.

Spurred on: Jol and Berbatov first linked up at Tottenham

Zamora is unsettled, Johnson looks set to leave and Dembele's first season in England has been so successful a number of bigger clubs are interested. 

Russian club Anzhi Makhachkala are also tracking Berbatov, but he would rather stay in the English top flight.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2069772/Martin-Jol-wants-Dimitar-Berbatov-loan-January.html#ixzz1fe0zvIS5

WhiteJC

The view from Craven Cottage

Fulham fan Matt Doherty provides the view from Craven Cottage ahead of Monday night's clash.

How are Fulham fans feeling about our visit?

I think Liverpool are in good form (nice to see you beat Chelsea twice) and whilst we're always threatening at home, our players are showing signs of fatigue. It's a small squad. I'm not optimistic.

One song we're bound to hear?

Craven Cottage is one of the quieter grounds, though there's usually a decent atmosphere at night games. You will certainly hear 'Take Me Home, Al-Fayed'.

Where can travelling fans get a pint?

Putney High Street, 3/4 mile away, has lots of pubs and takeaways.

Best and worst thing about a trip to Craven Cottage?

The best thing about a visit to Craven Cottage is watching football in such pleasant surroundings. Best appreciated at 3pm on a Saturday unfortunately. Worst thing: by South of England standards, it's bloody freezing in winter on the Putney End.

Players we should be worried about?

We haven't scored for hours so the biggest threat to you might be Mark Schwarzer.

And players you'll be worried about?

On your side I fear Suarez and Downing. We're a bit short of pace at the back. Kuyt has a habit of doing well against us.

Best way to beat Fulham?

To beat Fulham you need to put a man tight on Danny Murphy. Almost all our attacks are crafted by him. If Dan gets space, we do better.

Best and worst thing about being a Fulham fan?

Fulham is a great club with a community/family feel, we have a natural enemy to focus on, and after decades of mediocrity, we are moving steadily forwards. Worst thing: years on end of shocking away form. Successive managers and teams have been terribly unambitious away.

Prediction?

I'm optimistically predicting a 1-1 draw.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/the-view-from-craven-cottage-1?

WhiteJC

Fulham v Liverpool: Reds a massive 6/5 to keep recent run alive
Omens encouraging for Liverpool ahead of fifth capital visit of the season

Liverpool have a flawless record in west London since Kenny Dalglish's return to the dugout in January and are a handsome 6/5 to maintain it with victory away to Fulham on Monday night.

Match odds

The Reds claimed their third win in ten months at Stamford Bridge in the Carling Cup on Tuesday and their last trip to Craven Cottage ended in a 5-2 rout, so odds greater than evens on them delivering once more should prove difficult to resist.

It hasn't just been in the posh part of the capital that they have impressed of late either, having gone 11 games without defeat in all competitions since being humbled by Tottenham in December and enjoyed four straight travelling triumphs.

Their chances of extending that sequence are boosted by Fulham's uncertain form, which sees them heading into this encounter in 16th place.

Whereas the Cottagers entered their last home tie with Liverpool unbeaten in seven Premier League fixtures as hosts, they have won one in eight since. Dalglish's side have prevailed on three of their last four visits and have to be fancied again.

Other markets

Though the last meeting between these two featured seven goals, Liverpool's success on the road in recent months has come in a far more conventional way: keeping things tight at the back and acting decisively on the break.

They have kept clean sheets in half of their league outings and on each occasion achieved a 2-0 win, with that also being the margin that they saw off Chelsea by in the Carling Cup.

Odds of 4/5 on under 2.5 goals, 7/4 on the Liverpool clean sheet and 12/5 on them winning to nil therefore all appeal, as does the 9/1 on 2-0 again being the final score.

Maxi Rodriguez got a hat-trick in this clash last season and has broken the deadlock in his team's last two away matches so looks the value bet in the first goalscorer market at 10/1.

http://news.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/football/premier-league/fulham-v-liverpool-reds-a-massive-65-to-keep-recent-run-alive_084070.html

WhiteJC

Etuhu loving life at Fulham

Dickson Etuhu is once again enjoying life at Fulham after enduring a "very difficult time" at the club he loves.

The 29-year-old has been a regular for the Cottagers since joining from Sunderland three years ago, playing a key role in their run to the 2010 Europa League final.

But Etuhu has been used more as a squad player by manager Martin Jol this season and his frustrations saw him recently admit a January move could be on the cards.

Etuhu is happier after a recent run of starts and is enjoying his football again.

"I've always been happy at the club," he said. "Fulham is a great club and I'm not saying [I am unhappy here].

"The chairman gave me a very good contract and I could easily keep my mouth shut and collect my money, but that's not me.

"I like to play, I enjoy playing with my team-mates. If I'm not, and I'm on the bench, I'll obviously have to look elsewhere.

"But the club has always been good to me, the staff have been great to me and the players have bonded. We've been together so long and we've achieved so much together at this club.

"It's a lovely place, it's my home. I love this club."

Etuhu has been one of the west Londoners' most impressive performers in recent matches and admits he is reaping the rewards of an extended run in the team.

"Obviously my confidence is up at the moment," he said.

"It is nice to get a little run. Obviously Siddy [Steve Sidwell] is injured at the moment and I am sure he will be back next week sometime, but it is nice to be playing and to be part of it again.

"I've been at Fulham a long time, I've played a lot of games and it has been a very difficult time for me, but I'm enjoying it now.

"People expect you to play at your best after two or three months, but that is not the way.

"It does not work like that, it takes a few games. Luckily I've had the chance to see some action and it is helping me."

The Nigeria international will be hoping for another start in Monday's Premier League match against in-form Liverpool at Craven Cottage.

Fulham head into the match on the back of a last-gasp 1-0 defeat to FC Twente in the Europa League, although Etuhu is confident the disappointment of that result will not have an impact.

"Monday is Liverpool at home," he said. "They are a great team but we've got nothing to lose, have we?

"When you play the top teams you just go out and play. They are expected to win so the pressure is on them, not us.

"We will just go out and play as well as we can at home, where we always do well so it will be an exciting night.

"Thursday wasn't a great day and it was very disappointing to lose the goal at the last minute.

"But we will still qualify if we beat Odense at home, so it won't make a difference."

http://www.teamtalk.com/fulham/7352265/Etuhu-loving-life-at-Fulham?

WhiteJC

Fulham v Liverpool FC: Kenny Dalglish has selection headaches

Liverpool FC manager Kenny Dalglish says his man-management skills are being been tested to the limit by the performances of some of his players, and he admits it is the hardest aspect of his job.

Kenny Dalglish's problem does not revolve around solving issues in relation to improving the way Liverpool FC play.

For him, at the moment, it is letting down those Liverpool FC players whose displays probably warrant inclusion but who cannot be accommodated.

Liverpool midfielder Maxi Rodriguez is the prime example.

The Argentinian has started just one Barclays Premier League match this season and that was at Chelsea a fortnight ago when he scored the opening goal in the 2-1 victory.

A week later and the 30-year-old did not even get off the bench in Liverpool's 1-1 draw at home to Manchester City as Stewart Downing returned on the left of midfield.

However, he was back in the team on Tuesday for the Carling Cup quarter-final at Stamford Bridge and was again on target.

Two goals in his last two starts, and 10 goals in his last nine starts dating back to last season, would normally give any player automatic selection but that is not the case for Kenny Dalglish.

"It's never easy to leave anybody out - it's the hardest part (of management)," Dalglish said.

"They train all week and want to play but until somebody allows us to put 20 on the pitch we're going to have a problem.

"I don't think they really understand (being left out) but that is football, you have to pick a team.

"I don't get any enjoyment out of leaving anybody out of the team.

"Every individual is different and you can sympathise with them if they feel disappointed but you would be disappointed if they weren't disappointed."

Dalglish does have sympathy with many of his players - Craig Bellamy is another example - who are not making the final cut, especially when they played so well against Chelsea in midweek.

But he takes positives from the depth of talent he has, which is becoming increasingly important with the on-going absence of captain Steven Gerrard as he recovers from an ankle infection and the loss of midfielder Lucas Leiva for the rest of the season with knee ligament damage.

"The strength of your squad is the ability of the ones who don't play as often as the others," he added.

"There are some of the lads who started the other night who would like to have played more often than they have done but there is strong opposition here for places.

"It's great credit to them they can go out and put in a fantastic performance like that.

"It does make it more difficult (to select a team) but it makes it more pleasant as well when you watch them play.

"All they can do - and they've done it to their great credit - is keep themselves fit and prepared.

"If they keep themselves prepared, they give themselves the best opportunity of impressing and they certainly were impressive on Tuesday night."

Jay Spearing, one of those Liverpool FC players who has been on the fringes this season, looks like being given his chance as the one to replace Lucas on Monday at Fulham - where Maxi scored a hat-trick in a 5-1 win back in May.

The 24-year-old has been restricted to Carling Cup starts this season, having made one league appearance as a substitute, but Dalglish has plenty of faith in the former reserve-team captain.

"We trust every one of them. Everyone will make a mistake, we ourselves make mistakes and we've got a week to prepare for the game," he added.

"They've got a spontaneous decision to make - they won't always make the right one but as long as their heart is in the right place, we'll stand by every single one of the players.

"For some of the lads who haven't played as often as the other boys it's more difficult than the ones who are playing all the time so for them to keep their spirits and desire up is a great compliment to them."

Fulham: Schwarzer, Etheridge, Baird, Riise, Kelly, Hangeland, Hughes, Dembele, Briggs, Kasami, Duff, Murphy, Gecov, Etuhu, Ruiz, Dempsey, Frei, Johnson, Zamora, Sa.

Liverpool FC: Reina, Johnson, Agger, Skrtel, Enrique, Henderson, Adam, Spearing, Downing, Kuyt, Suarez, Doni, Kelly, Carragher, Coates, Shelvey, Coady, Rodriguez, Carroll, Bellamy.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport-news/liverpool-fc/2011/12/04/fulham-v-liverpool-fc-kenny-dalglish-has-selection-headaches-55578-29892392/?

WhiteJC

Charlton face Fulham trip in FA Cup

Charlton will travel to Premier League Fulham in the third round of the FA Cup.

Sunday's draw at Wembley paired the Addicks with the Cottagers, with the tie due to be played on the weekend of January 7th and 8th.

As a result, Charlton's home League One match against Bury has been postponed and will be rescheduled for a later date.

Full details about the date of the cup game and tickets will be publicised this week.

The meeting with the Cottagers at Craven Cottage is a repeat of the fourth-round FA Cup ties between the two clubs in January 1981 and 2003.

In 1981, Peter Shaw and Derek Hales gave the Addicks a 2-1 win at Craven Cottage, but 3,000 travelling Charlton fans with Zorro masks were left sorely disappointed in 2003 when Fulham won 3-0 in a match at Loftus Road that saw a red card for Mark Fish.

Fulham defeated Charlton in the FA Cup fourth round in 1958 after a replay, and the result was reversed in the third round in 1950, again after a replay.

There was also a notable third-round contest between the two clubs in January 1946 which prompted a famous quiz question: which is the only club to have lost a match on the road to Wembley, but still reached the final?

In that season, the FA Cup was a two-legged affair, and although Charlton lost the second match 2-1 to Fulham, a 3-1 victory in the first leg saw them win on aggregate en route to finishing runners-up to Derby County.

Among the current Cottagers squad is former Charlton midfielder Danny Murphy, who is now the club captain of Fulham.

http://www.cafc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10267~2536954,00.html?

WhiteJC

FA Cup Draw

The draw for the Third Round of The FA Cup with Budweiser took place at Wembley Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

Fulham were drawn at home against Charlton Athletic. Ties to be played on the weekend of 7th and 8th January 2012.

Third Round draw in full

Middlesbrough v Shrewsbury
Nottingham Forest v Leicester
Manchester City v Manchester United
Dag & Red/Walsall v Millwall
Crawley Town v Bristol City
Doncaster v Sutton Utd/Notts County
Bristol Rovers v Aston Villa
Tottenham v Cheltenham Town
Sheffield Wednesday v West Ham
MK Dons v QPR
Hull City v Ipswich Town
Coventry City v Southampton
Brighton v Wrexham
Fulham v Charlton
Birmingham v Wolves
Norwich City v Burnley
Arsenal v Leeds United
Derby County v Crystal Palace
Fleetwood/Yeovil v Blackpool
Swindon v Wigan
Barnsley v Swansea
Chelmsford/Macclesfield v Bolton
Newcastle v Blackburn
Everton v Tamworth
Sheffield United v Salisbury/Grimsby
Liverpool v Southend/Oldham
Gillingham v Stoke City
Chelsea v Portsmouth
Watford v Bradford City
Peterborough v Sunderland
West Brom v Cardiff City
Reading v Stevenage

Confirmation of the fixture date, kick-off time and ticket details will follow.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/December/FACupDraw.aspx?#ixzz1fe3hxDKH

WhiteJC

Etuhu happy to be playing
Midfielder expresses his love for Fulham after regaining his place

Dickson Etuhu: Fulham midfielder is happy at Craven Cottage and is enjoying being able to play again

Dickson Etuhu insists he is happy at Fulham and is pleased he is now back in Martin Jol's starting line-up.

The midfielder struggled to establish himself during the early weeks of Jol's reign at Craven Cottage and recently hinted he could look for a move in January.

However, the 29-year-old has started the Cottagers' last three games since the international break and is enjoying the chance to play regular football again.

"I've always been happy at the club," said Etuhu. "Fulham is a great club and I'm not saying [I am unhappy here].

Bonded

"The chairman gave me a very good contract and I could easily keep my mouth shut and collect my money, but that's not me.

"I like to play, I enjoy playing with my team-mates. If I'm not, and I'm on the bench, I'll obviously have to look elsewhere.

"But the club has always been good to me, the staff have been great to me and the players have bonded. We've been together so long and we've achieved so much together at this club.

"It's a lovely place, it's my home. I love this club."

Etuhu has been one of Fulham's most impressive performers in recent matches and admits he is reaping the rewards of an extended run in the team.

"Obviously my confidence is up at the moment," he said.

"It is nice to get a little run. Obviously Siddy [Steve Sidwell] is injured at the moment and I am sure he will be back next week sometime, but it is nice to be playing and to be part of it again.

"I've been at Fulham a long time, I've played a lot of games and it has been a very difficult time for me, but I'm enjoying it now.

"People expect you to play at your best after two or three months, but that is not the way.

"It does not work like that, it takes a few games. Luckily I've had the chance to see some action and it is helping me."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7352576/?

WhiteJC

Addicks Coming to Town!

The draw for the 3rd round of the FA Cup was made this afternoon and Fulham were awarded a home tie against London neighbours, Charlton Athletic.

Charlton are currently high-flyers in League One and will prove to be worthy opposition.

The tie, due to be played on January 7th or 8th, has all the makings of a thriller!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=264680#ixzz1fe4hutD2

WhiteJC

Charlton to face Fulham in FA Cup

CHARLTON will face Fulham in the FA Cup third round - their reward for a 2-0 victory over Carlisle United on Saturday.
Second-half goals from Michael Morrison and Jason Euell sent the Cumbrians out of the competition.
Boss Chris Powell said: "It was a pleasing second-half and I'm really happy we've progressed.
"It keeps that winning mentality and momentum going."
The Fulham tie will take place on January 7 or 8.
For a full report - and reaction to the draw - see Tuesday's South London Press.

http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/Sport.cfm?id=45231&headline=Charlton

WhiteJC

It's Fulham.

Ball number 64 came out, the Chinese fella misread it as 62 but luckily the safe hands of Jim Rosenthal were there to carry the fumble.

Charlton Athletic are away at Fulham in the 3rd round of the FA cup.

Yesterday I said I fancied an away tie against another London club and that's just what we've ended up with.

It's probably not as exciting a prospect as it might be for the majority of third division sides. Most of us can remember playing Fulham quite regularly only a few years ago.

The 'test' that Chris Powell was hoping for has been handed to him and we'll probably go over there and give them a good game.

I can't imagine many Fulham fans will be rushing to snap up tickets for the visit of Charlton.
(Remember how we all 'forced' ourselves to the Valley for the 3rd round when we were in the Premier League).
It will probably be a raucous day out with Charlton selling as many tickets as we can get.

There's always the, (snigger), 'neutral' section should anybody find themselves without a ticket.

Fulham are on a hiding to nothing. They should win with ease.
If we manage to grab anything from the day it'll be a bonus and if not, there's no shame in losing to a team 2 divisions higher before returning to our real job of trying to win the league.

I'm happy with the way things have turned out.

http://charltoncasual.blogspot.com/2011/12/its-fulham.html?

WhiteJC

'We are never going to be happy with a draw against anyone' - Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish calls for cutting edge ahead of Fulham clash
Reds manager says his side has drawn too many games this season and wants to see them punish their opponents starting with Monday night's trip to face Martin Jol's Fulham

Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish wants his side to turn their good performances into points ahead of their clash with Fulham.

Last week's draw against Manchester City was Liverpool's fifth in the league this season at Anfield and Dalglish wants more from his team as they prepare for Monday night's fixture.

The 60-year-old said that, while he is delighted with his team's form that has seen them go unbeaten in 11 matches, they will have to be more clinical if they want to put a winning run together.

"We are never going to be happy with a draw against anyone, we are happy with wins," he said

"We were delighted with the way we played but I think we set our standards a little bit higher than drawing against people.

"I think we deserve better than that, I think we are better than that, and it's up to us to stand up and be counted and start winning games.

"We've done fantastically well and in most of the games we've played at home I think we should have come away with three points.

"To their [the players'] credit their performances have been top notch."

Now, on the back of League Cup victory against Chelsea, Liverpool travel to their West London neighbours Fulham and are confident of another win at Craven Cottage having claimed a 5-2 victory there last season.

"We know it's going to be a very difficult game. We also know we went there and won 5-2 last year but we got our reward for that by getting three points," said the Scot.

"We'll only get what we deserve from the game and the effort we put in on Monday night.

"Everything that comes out in a game is a reflection of what you've done in the lead up to it, whether it's two or three days or two or three months.

"I don't think there is any one of our players who lack fitness or desire. We've got the best of both worlds and it would be very difficult to analyse which is the greater component - fitness or desire.

"We're happy we've got both of them in abundance in our players.

"They also start games quickly as well and the tempo of their play is quite high."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/12/04/2787733/we-are-never-going-to-be-happy-with-a-draw-against-anyone?

WhiteJC

Fulham vs Liverpool Match Preview

Liverpool kick off December with a Monday-evening matchup against struggling London side Fulham, as Craven Cottage hosts a meeting that is sure to be fiercely contested with both teams desperate for points. The Reds are coming off an impressive Carling Cup win at Stamford Bridge, and appear to head into this game in fine form. Heavy-spenders Fulham have been somewhat unlucky early on this season, with untimely injuries marring what was meant to be a breakout season. The Cottagers fell to FC Twente in the Europa League in midweek, and will be desperate to leave this game with at least a point.

History:
Total Appearances: 51
Liverpool Wins: 35
Fulham Wins: 10
Draws: 16

Last Premier League Meeting: Fulham 2-5 Liverpool (Maxi 3, Kuyt, Suarez)

Form:
Liverpool: Kenny Dalglish's men enter the game playing some of their best football of the season. The aforementioned midweek victory over Chelsea was a clear marker of just how far this team has come in recent months. Liverpool had already won a Premier League game at Stamford Bridge 2-1 nine days before, those games sandwiching a 1-1 draw with Manchester City at Anfield last weekend. Liverpool currently sit in seventh, but a big win could see them rise to fifth.
Fulham: Fulham have not had the best season, and their recent performances have exemplified that. Martin Jol's men have taken just two points from the last three games, and only five from the last six. However, a draw against Arsenal at the Emirates last weekend was an encouraging sign, and they will be looking to 'Park the Bus' against Liverpool as well. Fulham lie in fifteenth, but a win will take them up to twelfth.

Injury News:
Liverpool: The big news in the Liverpool physio room is the significant loss of defensive midfielder Lucas. His ACL tear will keep him out for the rest of the season, dealing a major blow to his club's top four aspirations. It is unclear who will take his place for now, but Jonjo Shelvey has been recalled from his Blackpool loan spell to help carry the burden. Steven Gerrard remains out with an ankle injury.
Fulham: Fulham have been hit a lot harder than Liverpool by their injuries. Defender Zdenek Grygera, midfielders Simon Davies, Damien Duff, and Steve Sidwell, and striker Orlando Sa, all important first team players, will miss the Liverpool match-up with injuries. As mentioned, these losses are a major reason for Fulham's difficult start to the season.

Key Battles:
Jose Enrique vs Bryan Ruiz: Costa Rican attacker Bryan Ruiz has been one of Fulham's key players since joining from FC Twente in the summer, and, though he has scored just one goal, he has been a contributor in almost all Fulham attacking moves. Jose Enrique will need to be at his best to shut down the Cottagers' offensive catalyst.
Charlie Adam vs Dickson Etuhu: This battle will determine who takes control of the midfield in this game. Adam will go up against defensively-minded midfielder Dickson Etuhu, and if he comes out on top Liverpool will likely come away with a win.
Andy Carroll vs Brede Hangeland: Expected to start, Liverpool striker Andy Carroll will lock horns with massive Norwegian defender Brede Hangeland. If Carroll can get the better of the Fulham defender, it will open up room for the likes of Luis Suarez and could be a major factor on the outcome of this game.

Bet365 Odds:
Liverpool: 11/10
Fulham: 5/2
Draw: 12/5

Anfield Red Score Prediction: Fulham 1-2 Liverpool

http://anfieldred.co.uk/fulham-vs-liverpool-match-preview/2216?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+anfieldred+%28AnfieldRed+-+Kopites+unite+-+Liverpool+FC+News+and+discussion+-+Have+your+say%29