more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (05/12/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, December 05, 2011, 07:41:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

John Arne Riise backs Martin Jol's kids to end the slump at Fulham

When Martin Jol arrived at Fulham in the summer he made it a stated priority to reduce the average age of a squad whose members were in danger of being tagged Premier League pensioners.

It is a fact, however, that there is no substitute for experience at the highest level, as Jol has discovered after sprinkling his team sheets with teenagers and 20-somethings of the ilk of Kerim Frei, Pajtim Kasami, Marcel Gecov, Orlando Sa and Matthew Briggs.

Those may be unfamiliar names beyond Craven Cottage but make a note of them because one or two of these imports and academy graduates, particularly the adventurous defender Briggs, do possess sufficient confidence and talent to become regular starters further down the line.

Yet Fulham's precarious position just two points above the Premier League relegation zone, failure to progress beyond one game in the Carling Cup and stuttering form in the Europa League, serve as evidence that Jol has yet to achieve a successful blend of experience and youth.

Should the Fulham faithful be concerned? Not according to John Arne Riise, who goes into tonight's Premier League clash at home to his former club Liverpool insisting: "There is a sense that, with this group of players, Fulham have the potential to win something."

Despite stressing his sights were set on younger targets, Jol made the then 30-year-old Riise his first major signing after the big Dutchman succeeded Mark Hughes as Fulham manager last summer. It was a canny capture, with the Norway international left-back having enjoyed a welter of success with Monaco, Liverpool and Roma.

Desire has fuelled Riise's spectacular career and having such a potent force at Craven Cottage can only boost Jol's ultimate aim of giving youth its head.

Riise said: "I know the manager wants a young team but I like to think those players can learn from my example.

"Martin is an excellent boss and they can only improve under his guidance. If I can help in any way, I will. I'm a very honest player and, even at 31 now, I am always trying to improve.

"I'm usually one of the first to arrive at training and amongst the last to leave. That's a commitment I make, not just to myself as a player but to the club, too."

If Riise is happy serving as a mentor, he has his own role model in former Liverpool team-mate Danny Murphy, Fulham's veteran captain.

The pair combined to score one for the senior service in Fulham's last Premier League outing at Arsenal where Murphy picked out Riise, sprinting into the penalty area, with a chipped pass and in the ensuing melee Thomas Vermaelen put through his own net.

Vermaelen went on to atone for his error by scoring an equaliser and that leaves Jol with just two League wins from 13 games. Now Riise is looking for more of Murphy's visionary magic against a rampant Liverpool side seeking to equal the club record of seven successive away wins and who have banked more points on the road than at Anfield.

Riise said: "Craven Cottage is a place where players seem to thrive. Danny is a great example and, even at 34, he is showing how important he is. He's a real example and as long as I can keep myself fit I want to make a similar impact."

To an extent, Riise has already achieved that ambition. Only four other teams have conceded fewer than Fulham's 16 Premier League goals this season and that statistic says much for a defence that will tonight boast an average age of over 32 should Jol field his strongest line-up in goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer and a back four of Riise, Brede Hangeland, Aaron Hughes and Chris Baird.

However, only four other teams have scored fewer than Fulham's 15 League goals and that meagre total is bloated by the freak 6-0 win over Queens Park Rangers at the start of October.

A worried Jol has challenged Bobby Zamora to increase his strike rate and prove he is worthy of inclusion in England's Euro 2012 squad.

The Dutchman will also be looking for big summer signing Bryan Ruiz to start making more of an impact on the scoresheet. Jol said: "Sometimes we have showed in Europe and sometimes in the League that we can score goals - we have scored two goals away from home against Wigan and six against QPR. But it is not the consistent thing that I would like it to be.

"Even against Arsenal we scored a goal and it is always a nice cushion when you are looking for a result."

Fulham are likely to need a pile of those cushions against Liverpool opposition looking to maintain an unbeaten run of 11 games stretching back to their 4-0 loss to Tottenham in September.

But they will have to make do without key winger Damien Duff, who was forced off in the first half of last week's Europa League defeat at FC Twente after suffering a recurrence of a calf injury.

Mousa Dembele also got a knock in that game but should be fit, while Clint Dempsey is set to return from a thigh complaint.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/football/article-24017931-john-arne-riise-backs-martin-jols-kids-to-end-the-slump-at-fulham.do?

WhiteJC

Fulham defender wary of Liverpool threat

BREDE Hangeland is desperate to avoid another horror show against Liverpool tonight.

Fulham were thumped 5-2 by the Reds in the same fixture in May as Maxi Rodriguez hammered a hat-trick.

The Whites go into the game looking to bounce back from last Thursday's Europa League defeat in Holland against FC Twente.

And Hangeland knows Martin Jol's men must be on their guard.

He said: "We had a bit of a horror show against Liverpool last season, so we hope to do a little bit better than that.

"We have to get the balance right. We want to dominate games, especially at home, but we can't go gung-ho and leave too much space in behind.

"It will be another tough challenge."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/12/05/fulham-defender-wary-of-liverpool-threat-82029-29897354/?#ixzz1ffRhEv2l

WhiteJC

Jol chases consistency
by DAN on DECEMBER 5, 2011

Martin Jol says Fulham must become more consistent as they attempt to move up the league table – and wants his side to start by scoring more goals.

The Fulham manager knows his side must become more ruthless in front of goal but is not too worried by their poor start, believing his squad is full of offensive quality.

Sometimes we have showed in Europe and sometimes in the league that we can score goals. We have scored two goals away from home against Wigan and six against QPR, but it is not the consistent thing that I would like it to be.

Even against Arsenal we scored a goal and it is always a nice cushion when you are looking for a result.

Jol once again refused to blame Fulham's participation in the Europa League for their sluggish start, although he admitted that the likes of Liverpool are probably benefiting from not being involved this year.

That's what they say in England. They are quite clear about it, especially the big clubs and Liverpool are a big club.  Although they have big squads, it's a problem for other teams like Stoke, who play an away game in Europe and then an away game in the league.

But we can't complain about it because we are in Europe.  I think Liverpool are quite happy not to play in it, and maybe Spurs as well. I think Harry [Redknapp, Tottenham manager] said it could be quite a challenge.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/12/jol-chases-consistency/?

WhiteJC

Bet on Suarez to banish barren spell by the Thames
The Uruguayan striker has not scored in the Premier League since October 1st but looks primed to end that run against a wobbly Fulham defence.

Sitting just three points above the Premier League relegation places with a third of the season complete, Martin Jol's Fulham face a difficult task as they welcome a Liverpool side that has fared well at Craven Cottage in recent times.

Three of the last four meetings between the two sides in west London have ended with the three points returning north, including a cracker back in May as Kenny Dalglish's men put five past their hosts to record an emphatic 5-2 victory.

Since being on the wrong end of a 4-0 drubbing at Tottenham back in mid-September, Liverpool have responded with an 11-game unbeaten run and have managed to hit the back of the net in all but one of those matches.

With just two clean sheets at home in the league so far, and having conceded six goals in their last two games at Craven Cottage, Fulham will certainly have their work cut out, with the sides playing out a stalemate just twice in their last ten meetings.

The fact that the former Ajax man is without a Premier League goal for two months is frankly staggering, considering how dangerous he continues to look in every game, but a trip to the Cottage is a perfect chance to snap that barren spell.

In their 13 league games this season, Liverpool have taken the lead in nine of these matches, compared to Fulham, who have opened proceedings on just three occasions, and this is reflected in the first goalscorer market.

The obvious favourite to grab the first goal is Luis Suarez, who can be backed at a tempting 9/2, while the Uruguayan is priced at 6/5 to find the back of the net at any time to add to the seven goals he has in all competitions this season.

The fact that the former Ajax man is without a Premier League goal for two months is frankly staggering, considering how dangerous he continues to look in every game, but a trip to the Cottage is a perfect chance to snap that barren spell.

Punters who use their free £25 bet for joining bwin.com on Suarez to score first will win a cool £137.50 if the striker does indeed break the deadlock this evening.

One player who should be brimming with confidence is Maxi Rodriguez, whose opener in the Carling Cup victory over Chelsea in midweek made it nine goals in his last ten starts for the Reds.

Fulham will know Rodriguez's quality all too well after he turned in a man-of-the-match performance in this fixture last season, bagging a hat-trick to add to goals from Dirk Kuyt and Suarez.

Should he start, the Argentinean is certainly worth considering as an alternative to Suarez to score first, priced at 9/1, while he can be had at 5/2 to score at anytime.

Meanwhile, having played over 200 games for Liverpool, John Arne Riise will be desperate to find the back of the net against his previous employers and might be worth laying money on at 9/2 to score at any time.

http://bwinbetting.com/bet-suarez-banish-barren-spell-thames,10963.html?

WhiteJC

Hangeland: We must get balance right
by DAN on DECEMBER 5, 2011

Brede Hangeland wants to put the misery of last year's thrashing by Liverpool behind him with a strong Fulham performance this evening.

The Whites were beaten 5-2 by Kenny Dalglish's side at Craven Cottage last year as Maxi Rodriguez scored a hat-trick. Hangeland, who had a poor game that night, wants to replicate the kind of defensive display that earned a point at Arsenal last weekend and knows Fulham will need to be careful of Liverpool's attacking prowess.

The Norwegian centre back knows that manager Martin Jol wants his side to score more goals, but Hangeland insists it is imperative that Fulham retain the right mix of adventure and control if they are to secure a much-needed result tonight.

We had a bit of a horror show against Liverpool last season, so we hope to do a little bit better than that.

We have to get the balance right. We want to dominate games, especially at home, but we can't go gung-ho and leave too much space in behind.

It will be another tough challenge.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/12/hangeland-we-must-get-balance-right/?

WhiteJC

Lawro's prediction

Fulham v Liverpool (2000 GMT)
I remember this fixture from the end of last season when Luis Suarez absolutely annihilated Fulham defenders Brede Hangeland and Aaron Hughes. He completely took them apart and Liverpool were 3-0 up within the first 20 minutes.

Losing Lucas Leiva for the season is a big blow for Liverpool but Reds boss Kenny Dalglish has got competition for places and strength in depth too.

We saw that in the win over Chelsea in the Carling Cup on Tuesday and I think Suarez's form means the whole club is on a high at the moment. Andy Carroll has not been convincing but Craig Bellamy and Suarez have hit it off, and so has Maxi Rodriguez.

They are busy and quick players who can play one-touch football and that has made a big difference to Liverpool.

Having said all that, Fulham are at home and they can be a bit of a handful themselves, and their strikers will cause Liverpool a few problems too.

If I lived in London and could have a season ticket to any team, I would go and watch Fulham. Everything about Craven Cottage is really good - there is no pressure on them to win, and the atmosphere is great because it is a proper old ground in a nice area where you can get a beer.

They are a club who knows what they are and where they are - and I can see them getting a point on Monday night.

Prediction: 1-1

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/football_focus/15938308.stm

WhiteJC

Fulham    v    Liverpool

Barclays Premier League
Venue: Craven Cottage Date: Monday, 5 December Kick-off: 2000 GMT Coverage: Watch live on Sky Sports 1; live commentary on BBC Radio 5 live and local radio; live text commentary on BBC Sport website and mobiles

Fulham captain Danny Murphy was also a distinguished Liverpool midfielder

TEAM NEWS
Fulham's Republic of Ireland winger Damien Duff looks doubtful for the visit of Liverpool after suffering a recurrence of an old calf injury.

But forward Mousa Dembele could be fit and Clint Dempsey should return from a thigh complaint, while Bryan Ruiz is available for selection again.

Liverpool's Brazilian midfielder Lucas Leiva has a season-ending cruciate ligament problem in his left knee.

With Steven Gerrard still out injured, Jay Spearing may replace him.

MATCH PREVIEW
Eleven months after he returned to the club as manager following a 20-year absence, Anfield idol Kenny Dalglish is still thrilling Liverpool supporters with his canny guidance of their beloved club.

The stifling fear and numbing caution that briefly enveloped it under former boss Roy Hodgson has disappeared amid a tornado of positivity and energetic forward-thinking, both metaphorically and literally.

It's going to be a tough game...but we're at home and we have to try and win against every team, no matter who they are
Fulham forward Bryan Luiz

The Reds would be sitting pretty in the Champions League spots but for some inspired goalkeeping at Anfield of late, where five of their seven Premier League home games have been drawn. It's surely a matter of time before the searing form of Luis Suarez is properly rewarded.

Fulham are yet to really get going under former Tottenham boss Martin Jol. Just two wins so far this season testify to that, though the Cottagers did come away from Arsenal's Emirates Stadium with a 1-1 draw last weekend and have a stable squad packed with experienced players such as Danny Murphy, Brede Hangeland, Clint Dempsey and Bobby Zamora. Relegation, surely, is not a genuine worry.

After a late FC Twente winner on Thursday, Fulham - the 2010 Europa League finalists - must now win their final group game to guarantee progression to the last 32. Failure to do so may not be a disaster if the extra rest it would afford allows Fulham's Premier League form to seriously pick up next year.

MATCH FACTS
Head-to-head
Liverpool beat Fulham 5-2 at Craven Cottage in this fixture last season, Maxi Rodriguez scoring his second hat-trick in three games.

Fulham have failed to score in six of their last eight Premier League games against Liverpool.
In 20 Premier League games between the two clubs (going back to 2001), Fulham have won just three.
Liverpool beat Fulham 10-0 in a League Cup second-round match at Anfield in 1986.
Fulham

Fulham have won just one of their last eight Premier League games at Craven Cottage (W1 D4 L3), a run which started with that 2-5 defeat by Liverpool in May.

This is Fulham's joint-worst record, in terms of points gained, after 13 games. Their 12 to date ranks alongside their total in 2005-2006 and 2007-2008.

Headers account for just 7% of Fulham's goals. That is the lowest percentage in the Premier League.
Liverpool

Liverpool are unbeaten in 11 matches in all competitions.

They have allowed their opponents fewer shots on target against them than any other team in the Premier League (44).

Uruguayan striker Luis Suarez averages 8.2 touches per game inside the opposition penalty area, more than any other top-flight player.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15914767.stm