News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Mark Schwarzer or Edvin Van De Sar (or even Maik Taylor)

Started by Travers Barney, December 06, 2011, 09:23:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EVDS  or SCHWARZER

EDWIN V D S
15 (26.3%)
SCHWARZER
31 (54.4%)
Macedo
6 (10.5%)
Maik Taylor
5 (8.8%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Travers Barney

Lots of polls today I know but whilst enjoying a Grolsch with Scrumpy and his ladies after the Twente game this subject came up and I was very much in the Schwarzer camp.

Obviously EVDS was no slouch--obtaining his services from Juventus was a surreal moment in modern Fulham history and displayed a proper show of intent but for me MS dominance especially when we are under the cosh gives him the nod.

Be interested what fellow FOF'ers reckon?

We are the whites
We are the whites

mrska

Thought i'd add a poll...  Personally  id go for Schwarzer..  but its only just. EVDS was a brilliant keeper for us..  but Mark is making save after save at the moment..  its like we're not suprised anymore..  Brilliant keeper..  the clean sheet count just keeps building!  i think its 7 now? 

sunburywhite

Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Burt

Both were good shot-stoppers.

Both commanded the box well.

Agree with Mr Sunburywhite that Edwin was better at distribution, both in terms of speed of launching a counter-attack, and in terms of accuracy.

Best thing about Schwartz though is that he won't be joining Man U!!

cebu

I'm not voting, I think both are/were outstanding. Now you can  086.gif  by including Macedo in the possible selections!   :005:

LBNo11

...even though Schwarzer's distribution sometimes leaves us with our hearts in his mouth, and his punches likewise, but overall he is just the best custodian I have ever seen at Craven Cottage. He commands his box and defenders better than VDS in my opinion, VDS was equally capable of some amazing saves, but his lack of control over his defenders sometimes meant that saving the shot was the last, but preventable, resort.

With all that said, in the modern era he just beats Maik Taylor who I rated above EVDS, to me he was the complete package, shot stopping, commanding his defence and near perfect distribution, keeping the ball on the ground wherever possible - and thus keeping possession rather than the pointless hoof upfield giving the advantage more to the oppositions defence...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

mrska

I love Maik..  i thought he was treated pretty badly when he lost his place to EVDS..   but  he went on to do well at Brum..  great keeper..

SHADY1

we are Fulham stay realistic or be for ever disappointed ...

cmg

Yes, Maik Taylor was an unfortunate victim of what might be termed a 'political' decision.

In signing EVDS we not only got a terrific keeper, but also gave notice that we had 'serious' intentions. Van Der Sar was a 'name' player and his signing probably made it easier for us to sign other top players. But Taylor was very, very good  - as his subsequent career has shown

If we hadn't signed EVDS we might well have just celebrated Taylor's retirement as our greatest ever keeper.

At one time our three keepers were EVDS, Taylor and Marcus Hahnemann. Shouldn't think many clubs have had such depth of talent at one time.

Peabody

Strangely enough, I would'nt have included Tony Macedo, because most of you have never seen him play so, naturaly, could not assess him. Whilst he remains my all time favourite, you can only take my word for it. On that basis, my favourite modern goal keeper would be MS

CorkedHat

Quote from: Peabody on December 07, 2011, 05:41:10 AM
Strangely enough, I would'nt have included Tony Macedo, because most of you have never seen him play so, naturaly, could not assess him. Whilst he remains my all time favourite, you can only take my word for it. On that basis, my favourite modern goal keeper would be MS

Exactly right Mr P - 90 percent of the people who saw Macedo in his prime would automatically vote for him. Those who didn't - and that would be the majority on this forum - will vote for someone else. Tony is never going to win this poll even though he was our best keeper by a country mile 092.gif
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

JBH

VDS's performance v Arsenal in the 0 - 0 at Highbury was without doubt one of the finest pieces of Goalkeeping I have ever seen  :Haynes The Maestro:

TonyGilroy

Schwarzer wins for me because of sheer consistency.

The disastrous 15 minutes he had against Liverpool last season was shocking because it was so unexpected. Match after match Schwarzer plays exceptionally well with only very rare mistakes. We expect a keeper as good as him. We don't know how lucky we are.

Van Der Sar has been one of the world's great keepers but he gave me the impression that he knew he was wasting his career in our goal. His time with us won't be seen as his career peak.

Maik Taylor was desperately unlucky to be replaced and could have had 15 years as our first choice keeper.

Macedo? Those with false memory syndrome can cast their votes for him. Mr Greaves? Is that you Jimmy? If I roll the ball to you gently will you please slot it in that net thing behind me.

BalDrick

I've gone for Edwin, more for the sheer mentalness of him signing for us at that time than his keeping, which I'd say there's nothing between him and Mark.

Just remember seeing it on SSN, I was just dumbstruck (for those that don't know me, this is a rarity).
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

Peabody

Quote from: TonyGilroy on December 07, 2011, 08:29:29 AM

Schwarzer wins for me because of sheer consistency.

The disastrous 15 minutes he had against Liverpool last season was shocking because it was so unexpected. Match after match Schwarzer plays exceptionally well with only very rare mistakes. We expect a keeper as good as him. We don't know how lucky we are.

Van Der Sar has been one of the world's great keepers but he gave me the impression that he knew he was wasting his career in our goal. His time with us won't be seen as his career peak.

Maik Taylor was desperately unlucky to be replaced and could have had 15 years as our first choice keeper.

Macedo? Those with false memory syndrome can cast their votes for him. Mr Greaves? Is that you Jimmy? If I roll the ball to you gently will you please slot it in that net thing behind me.

You know what they say about sarcasm Tony? I just might introduce Ernie Beecham into the equation, I never saw him play, but my elders told me he was the bravest goalkeeper ever.

BalDrick

Quote from: JBH on December 07, 2011, 06:32:08 AM
VDS's performance v Arsenal in the 0 - 0 at Highbury was without doubt one of the finest pieces of Goalkeeping I have ever seen  :Haynes The Maestro:

Whilst nobody can have been happier than me (bearing in mind my feelings for our hosts that day), but in fact Edwin only made one really top drawer save that day, everything else was very savable simply because the defence worked so hard to stop giving them positions in which they could shoot with a decent chance of scoring. There were two brilliant chances to score that day, one Edwin saved and one Steed messed up.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

FatFreddysCat

Jim Stannard for his dedication to keeping fit  064.gif . I'd love to see a photo of him now, God knows how big he'd be. Maik is my favorite keeper, but Swarcher is the best. I never really took to EVDS, though he was quality.

cmg

Quote from: CorkedHat on December 07, 2011, 06:11:13 AM
Quote from: Peabody on December 07, 2011, 05:41:10 AM

Exactly right Mr P - 90 percent of the people who saw Macedo in his prime would automatically vote for him. Those who didn't - and that would be the majority on this forum - will vote for someone else. Tony is never going to win this poll even though he was our best keeper by a country mile 092.gif

I'd add my aged agreement with the views expressed by the gentlemen above.

It strikes me as a bit ironic that Maik Taylor was able to play for N. Ireland because, as a British passport holder born abroad (Germany) he was able to chose between any of the four 'home' nations. If this regulation had been in force when Macedo was in his prime then, had he not been picked by England, he could have chosen one of the other three. He might have had competition from Kelsey (Wales) and Gregg (N.Ireland) but as for Scotland...well I'm sure he was better than Frank Haffey. Tony Mac Edo has a nice ring about it.

TonyGilroy

Scotland had some top quality goalkeepers in the 60s - Bill Brown of Spurs, Tommy Lawrence and Adam Blacklaw are three who come to mind but they were averse to picking Anglos so incompetents like Haffey got the caps.

Macedo was better than Haffey.