watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

why is Fulham always a stepping stone?

Started by horse1031, December 07, 2011, 04:24:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

horse1031

stinks that Moussa and Ruiz both have stated that this isnt the place they want to end up, just a means of how to get to where they want to go.  I dont blame them for reaching higher but how and will we ever be to the status of what they are looking for?  Do we need more history, more championships, more european finals?  I am sure the answer to this is a resounding yes.  I know we will probably never be the "Manchester United of the South" or have Liverpools championship history.  I dont necessarily even know if i want to be a bigger club but it would be nice if we could get a little more respect in the league.  what does everyone think, do you want Mohammed Al Fayed to make us as big as we can possibly be or do you like the size we are now.  Fulham can pay a pretty good wage, but at the end of the day there is no way we can compete with any of the big boys.  i guess keeping hold of the talented players for as long as we can and then selling them for a good price is what we will have to do.

Reindeer

When players are reported to have "said" these things, they are usually in response to leading questions from the reporter.  Players always keep their options open, even Modric thought he'd out-grown Spurs until recently.

Pay them well, win some trophies and keep a good team spirit about the place, then they'll have less inclination to get "itchy feet".

sipwell

I think that is logical. Everyone always wants to compete in the best of the best. It is the ultimate proof you have reached something. Players in the Belgian competition go to the German/Dutch competition because it is better, move on to the English competition because it is better and evolve either to a better team in the Prem or to a good team in the Spanish competition (for Latin Americans). It has always been like that and it will always be like that.

Take Ruiz: started in AA GENT (Belgium), a mid-sized top 5 team. He developed himself there until he was the ultimate playmaker for the team. He did not win any prizes though. He then moved to Twente FC and competed for the Dutch title. He further developed himself and now moved to a mid-sized Prem team. He will develop himself and hope, one day, one of the four big Spanish clubs will come and get him. End stage of the career, everybody happy. :)
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

epsomraver

Modern players aspire to playing international football in the champions league so it is not a reflection on Fulham if the younger players want to go to a club that plays in that league

aussierod

"do you want Mohammed Al Fayed to make us as big as we can possibly be or do you like the size we are now?"
Fulham is perfect the way it is, I would hate if Fulham started spending huge amounts of money like that lot down the road, as I'd hate all the plastic fans that come with it, and to be honest, I enjoy the underdog status we invariably have most seasons. The chances of us getting any bigger are diminishing anyway without really moving homes, as FIFA Fair Play will soon come into effect and ploughing MAF's money into the club will cease.

Fulham will be a stepping stone for most ambitious young players (the older ones should be more than happy here as they can still produce at this level without excessive expectations) and if they have anything special about them, they will invariably want to play in a stadium bigger than 25k, with work class team-mates, pushing to win trophies. Thankfully none of our players have left recently and we've managed to fend off interest for the likes of Schwarzer, Hangerland etc but I expect Moussa to leave for pastures new at the end of the season (if not before) and its just too early to tell with Bryan but he potentially will be coveted by much bigger clubs than us in a few years

So it does suck that we are a stepping stone but get used to it
Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts

Rupert

The only alternative to being a stepping stone would be to have players of our level (20,000+ supporters) rather than those potentially better than our level.
I'm happy to be a stepping stone so long as they give us honest service before they go, and preferably a big profit on their fee.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

BalDrick

I like the fact we are a stepping stone. The alternative is to have players like Kevin Davies, who'll never aspire to anything higher than elbowing defenders while playing for the Boltons of this world.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

LBNo11

...better nowadays to be a stepping stone than the silt we once were..!
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

dancrawford

Quote from: LBNo11 on December 07, 2011, 06:52:10 PM

Absolutely. We're exceptionally better off at the moment than we were when I first starting going to the Cottage.

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

I love Fulham because:-

it isn't a "so called" big club
because it respects it's history
because it is honest
because of the Cottage
because on our day we can beat anybody
because of it's real down to earth (mostly)realistic fans
the club knows who it is, what it is, and is proud of the fact
the fans know who they are, what they and can (and do)take pride in that

if the billions come in,and we move to a bigger stadium(hate that word), and we fill the club with rich mercenaries who are here only for the money, we will lose all of the above,who we are what we are and we will never get it back

WE ARE FULHAM,WE ARE THE UNDERDOG-AND I LOVE IT! :clap_hands: :clap_hands:

Basil

Not sure Hangerland (top 5 centre back in league) sees us a stepping stone or indeed Dempsey (one of the top scoring midfielders in league). Happy for Dembele to use us a stepping stone. We will make a fair few million out of it and been richly entertained by his skills, but dont think we are always a stepping stone. Very well respected Premiership players have built their reputation here without lookng to leave at the first opportunity of move a bigger stage. In fact I think we are about the most settled squad in the league over last 3 years.

Burt

Quote from: LBNo11 on December 07, 2011, 06:52:10 PM

:005:

Very true too.

Whilst we are now better than most now, we are not better than others so by definition we will always be a stepping stone for those who have the drive and ability to be a star player for a club that wins, or has aspirations to win, titles and cups.

Burt

Of course the likes of Sparky and Bullard got the wrong end of the stick and used us as a enots gnippets  :dft011:

sipwell

Quote from: Rambling_Syd_Rumpo on December 07, 2011, 07:18:18 PM

because it is honest
because of the Cottage

if the billions come in,and we move to a bigger stadium(hate that word), and we fill the club with rich mercenaries who are here only for the money, we will lose all of the above,who we are what we are and we will never get it back

I think this should be pinned somewhere! Well formulated! Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes and yes!
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

MisfitKid

Quote from: Rambling_Syd_Rumpo on December 07, 2011, 07:18:18 PM

because it is honest
because of the Cottage

Amen, "Brudda"!!   065.gif
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...

Berserker

I love Fulham for that very reason as well : )
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

ElissonSnygg

But how fun is it to be the mid-table/underdog team forever? I thought every clubs aim is to be one of the best? I mean, I will never give up the dream Fulham winning Premier League. Is Fulhams aim just to make profit every year? Or play nice football?
I will always support the team no matter what, but I just want to dream and feel that it is plausible.

COYW from a swedish dreamer.
Official board member of the Swedish Supporter Club - FFC Sweden.

Twitter: @ElissonSnygg

horse1031

Quote from: ElissonSnygg on December 08, 2011, 07:05:45 PM
But how fun is it to be the mid-table/underdog team forever? I thought every clubs aim is to be one of the best? I mean, I will never give up the dream Fulham winning Premier League. Is Fulhams aim just to make profit every year? Or play nice football?
I will always support the team no matter what, but I just want to dream and feel that it is plausible.

COYW from a swedish dreamer.

i wouldnt mind going for top 4 one of these years.  would be pretty crazy if we made a good run.