more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Music Thread

Started by sacffc, December 07, 2011, 08:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sacffc

Top 10 songs on my iPod

For me, musicianship is the most important factor in determining what songs I listen to a lot.  I listen to the voice as an instrument - how does it sound with the other instruments - more than what the words have to say.

I received an iPod as a gift last Father's Day (June 2011).  I loaded our (wife and I) CD collection, bought a few more, and now have over 9000 songs and 30 days of music.  What follows is the 10 songs I've listened to the most in the last 6 months (I really like the Top 25 Most Played screen).

I wouldn't say these are my 10 all-time favorite songs.  In loading the CD collection I ran into some old favorites that I hadn't listened to in a while.  I also bought 2 albums around the same time, on recommendation from my daughter, that contribute 4 of the top 10.  So here are 10 great songs.

1.  Doors Unlocked and Open - Death Cab for Cutie
This is my favorite song from the Codes and Keys album.  I'm always interested in finding great new music, and my daughter introduced me to Death Cab.  I understand that Ben Gibbard is seen as a romantic singer by many; I like this band because the four of them play so well together.  The rhythm section provides a solid foundation for Ben and Chris Walla to play on top of.  I like the way they work their way into this song, adding layers of sound before the singing starts.  The video was filmed in London at the O2.

2.  Revival - The Allman Brothers Band
The Allman Brothers Band is one of my all-time favorites.  I've probably listened to disc 2 of their live album At Fillmore East more than any other, but I listen to that in the car so much that none of those songs made the iPod top 10.  This song is an excellent example of their tight ensemble playing, without the long solos of the Fillmore album.  The video is just a slide show, so close your eyes and listen.

3.  Goin' Against Your Mind - Built to Spill
My daughter's boyfriend gets credit for introducing me to Built to Spill.  A musician's band, like the Meat Puppets and NRBQ before them - not great commercial success, but popular with musicians and cited by them as an influence (like Death Cab for this band).  The build-up in this song is terrific - two minutes of adding layers of sound before the singing starts.

4.  Conventional Wisdom - Built to Spill
Another song from their You In Reverse album.  I love the fuzzy chords in the main riff for this song.  The video is odd but interesting - Knights at Tournament - in Idaho.

5.  Power and the Passion - Midnight Oil
This was the first Midnight Oil song I ever heard, long before they were well-known, and is still my favorite of theirs.  I was struck by the intensity.  The video also proves once and for all that Peter Garrett can't dance.  I'll admit I know nothing about Garrett's political career, which may influence your view of the song.

6.  Backwater - Meat Puppets
My wife found the Meat Puppets 30 years ago; not sure how.  Terrific band.  Curt Kirkwood is one of the best guitarists I've heard, and I like their low-key vocals (no hystrionics).

7.  You Are a Tourist - Death Cab for Cutie
Another great Death Cab for Cutie song.  You don't see dancers like that in rock videos too often.

8.  Rockin Stroll - The Lemonheads
The band never received much attention, but I like this song as 1:47 worth of straight ahead rock and roll.  Another video where you can just close your eyes and listen to the song.

9.  Fat Man in the Bathtub - Little Feat
Little Feat were headed for the very top as a band, until Lowell George left over musical differences and died shortly thereafter.  This is the best video of the 10 - the band were really hot that day.  It appears that their entire set is available on YouTube - this appears to have been the opening number.  The song shows off their interest in the seamier side of life.  The first verse:

Spot Check Billy got down on his hands and knees, he said 'Hey mama hey, let me check your oil alright?' and she said 'No, no, honey not tonight - you come back Monday, you come back Tuesday, and then I might.'

10.  Forever - Little Steven and the Disciples of Soul
The best rock and roll love song nobody knows about.  Steven Van Zandt has, among other things, (1) played in Bruce Springsteen's band for most of the last 40 years, (2) received an award from the United Nations for his work organizing Artists United Against Apartheid and making the Sun City video, (3) played Silvio on The Sopranos, (4) had Percy Sledge sing When a Man Loves a Woman at his wedding, and (5) in his solo career, recorded this song.

The band includes drummer Dino Danelli of the Rascals and bass player Jean Beauvoir of the Plasmatics (the only black man with a white Mohawk I've ever seen).  Fans of the Conan O'Brien show will appreciate seeing a very young La Bamba passing out carry-out food near the end of the video.

If I give you my heart would you love me forever?
Pick up the pieces when I stumble and fall
When my world falls apart could you keep it together
If I can't have you I don't want noone at all
My music blog:  If you just Stand There and Play, is it worth listening to?

WhiteJC

interesting selection, I must look at my iPod to see what I've listened to

McBridefan1

zzamora

Quote from: mr_ska on December 08, 2011, 08:29:14 PM
Hot Chip - Over And Over

T to the U to the N to the E

and mine: cannot wait for them in Feb at Ally Pally,possibly one of the best bands to come out of America in recent years

The Black Keys - Gold On The Ceiling (Saturday Night Live)