News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Someone's just told me that a guy has been throwing hand grenades in Liege...

Started by Burt, December 13, 2011, 12:49:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burt

Ron Sheepskin

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16161746

A gun and grenade attack in the centre of the Belgian city of Liege has killed at least two people and wounded about 10, Belgian media say.

They say several men threw grenades and fired on a crowd at a bus stop.

Some reports say one of the attackers is among the dead. Local media said another had been seized by police but gunfire was continuing.

The area has been sealed off. There is no word on who carried out the attack.

"Do not affix anything to this wall" - sign that was affixed to wall above turnstiles at Hammy end before someone with a clipboard replaced it with a large Fire Exit sign.

finnster01

Talk about cowards? Hand grenades against civilians at a bus stop?  :035:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

sipwell

Everything is in a state of panic at the moment. Civilians are asked to remain indoors since 1 (or 2) of the attackers are on the run. There have been heard several gunshots, 2 men escaped from the Palais de Justice and 2 have been captured. It is all very unclear what this is at the moment.
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

Ron Sheepskin

Please forgive my ignorance Sipwell, but whereabouts in Belgium are you based?
"Do not affix anything to this wall" - sign that was affixed to wall above turnstiles at Hammy end before someone with a clipboard replaced it with a large Fire Exit sign.

Burt

Blimey... Not good news. I was hoping that what I had heard was a wind-up, but obviously not.

Hope you are safe and sound Mr Sipwell sir.

sipwell

I am in Brussels, so nowhere near the crime scene. The heavy policemen are sent in to chase the lone assailant, all civilians are ordered to stay indoors or go indoors. Very weird. No indication of the origin/reason of the attack.

The Doctor

Deary me, is there no end to this sort of lunacy?  Hope the Police manage to end this quickly by finding (and preferably killing) any remaining nutters

sipwell

Quote from: The Doctor on December 13, 2011, 01:40:47 PM
Deary me, is there no end to this sort of lunacy?  Hope the Police manage to end this quickly by finding (and preferably killing) any remaining nutters

One blew himself up (it is believed) and one other was shot dead by the police. They are still chasing the third one, in the belief there is a third one (and not more).

LBNo11

...so sad to hear wherever these things occur, I have a particular interest as my Mothers side of the family were from Wavre which is about an hour away by car. As with every decent person, I hope the situation is resolved quickly, and my thoughts are for the families affected by these mindless murderers...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

sipwell

It is going from bad to worse. According to official sources, 64 people are injured of which 7 heavily (deadly?) injured. Still no trace of the last attacker or the motives.

sipwell

sipwell

Tom Magee

some people are just mucked up

sipwell

At least 4 people died already (including the attacker). Apparently the motive has to do with revenge - of sorts I guess - as the criminal in question had been serving time in prison (for possession of weapons and a cannabis plantation).

sipwell

Seven confirmed death now, 5 still fighting for their lives. First police investigation considers the attacker had fatally wounded himself with his last grenade. He still had plenty of grenades in his possession and would presumably have continued his killing spree. We escaped a far greater tragedy than the one we had now, fortunately.

finnster01

Feel sorry for the country of Belgium. My condolence to the families and prayers to the injured.

We live in a mad, mad world unfortunately

luckykat

Almost used to hearing of this sort of thing in America, but not Belgium. Very sad.

TheDaddy

Just cant understand why these idiots/cowards do this !
thoughts and prays go out to the the families of the people killed and hurt and also to the whole of Belgium .
"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "

finnster01

If anyone has thrown a hand grenade they can confirm how messed up that is. You can do some real serious damage in a crowd

Now doing that to civilians at a bus stop is sick. Glad the perp died in the process. Or if there are more, they should be taken to task in a big way. No tar and feathers for that lot, but I am not sure what Belgian legislation permits. I have some ideas what should be done, but I am equally sure they will not ask me.