News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Lets devise a formula to devise a players value (one for you Mathematicians?)

Started by Jimpav, December 13, 2011, 03:12:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimpav

Following the reports valuing Zamora at 10 million, I was wondering if the FoF community could put their brains together (plenty of bright sparks on here) and see if we can devise a formula to determine the worth of a player.

i.e. Age of player * number of goals scored * original value = x

If you think this is possible then get involved, I would love to see what we can come up with.

Here are some factors that I have thought up - but feel free to add or detract from these if you think otherwise.

Age of player
Number of goals scored (in last year)
Number of club appearances
Selling clubs transfer budget (approximate)
Buying clubs transfer budget
Number of international appearances
Number of international goals
Buying clubs squad size
Selling clubs squad size
Cost originally paid for player
Length of time left on players contract
Nationality

AlFayedsChequebook

sipwell

Nationality surely will be an important factor.

Also, the main problem with such an idea is that you also need to take into account the characteristics of the one buying. For instance, a club in dire need of a striker (bottom of Premier League, hence massive income loss if they would demote) will overbid for a player if it wants him. The market value/player value becomes less important then.
The reverse is equally possible: a team that wants to offload a player will ask less than his value.

Even though this is only indirect to your main question, it somehow makes the exercise less meaningful (or it should be reoriented to compare between player value and price paid).
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

The Doctor

Decibel level of crowd when players name is read out in teamsheet is a fundamental indicator of worth

Jimpav

Let's start with a striker.

I based it on strikers as BZ was the target subject but you could do it for defenders too. A little trickier as you a defenders clean sheets are as good as their team mates. Also a defenders goals would arguably add more value, when combined with clean sheets.

I agree with nationality too. This is where the Maths comes in in terms of creating a viable formula. Perhaps English/British players would have a surcharge or higher points value.

The clubs need/players desire to leave are definite factors. I tried to factor this in with squad size but maybe number of injuries and length to run on contract need to be included too.

richie17

Colin Baker (richardhkirkando) sort of does this already, taking everything a player does on the pitch (from Opta stats), establish the (monetary) value of a league point, establish what the above actions do to contribute to points, throw it all into a computer and see what comes back.  He adjusts these numbers based on other data (e.g. whether players are takng difficult shots, whether players are in attacking or defensive teams, etc).

The results are at the back of the last Fulham Review.  Colin did this player value as a weekly wage, but I'm sure could do so as a transfer value.

White Noise

Ease with which their name can be incorporated into a song.

Friendliness on Twitter.

Attractiveness of other half.

Ability to look good in a rubbish shirt.

Use of unconventional modes of transport.

Nightclubability.

Willingness to 'put in a shift'.

Colour of boots.

Regularity with which love of present club is expressed.

Record of coming over to applaud the travelling fans after an away game at least once a season.

finnster01

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

MJG

Whatever i edit their value in Football manager to be is what we buy or sell at...sorted.
Oh and give ourselves £200M.

The Doctor

Quote from: White Noise on December 13, 2011, 03:35:56 PM

Just think of the grief Etuhu could save himself if only he'd come onto the pitch on a Segway once in a blue moon

Jimpav

Quote from: richie17 on December 13, 2011, 03:30:54 PM
Colin Baker (richardhkirkando) sort of does this already, taking everything a player does on the pitch (from Opta stats), establish the (monetary) value of a league point, establish what the above actions do to contribute to points, throw it all into a computer and see what comes back.  He adjusts these numbers based on other data (e.g. whether players are takng difficult shots, whether players are in attacking or defensive teams, etc).

The results are at the back of the last Fulham Review.  Colin did this player value as a weekly wage, but I'm sure could do so as a transfer value.

Sounds very interesting Richie - would be interested to read that. Where can the good people of FoF purchase a Fulham review from (cue shamless plug!)....?

ron

How about a striker's value being calculated as;

Number of Goals per season                                            X                 £1,000,000
                    ----------------------------------------                                                         ---------------
Size of Head during press interviews  X  Size of mouth during same                                        1

aussierod

Quote from: White Noise on December 13, 2011, 03:35:56 PM
Ease with which their name can be incorporated into a song.

Friendliness on Twitter.

Attractiveness of other half.

Ability to look good in a rubbish shirt.

Nightclubability.

Willingness to 'put in a shift'.

Colour of boots.

Regularity with which love of present club is expressed.

Record of coming over to applaud the travelling fans after an away game at least once a season.

Lol

Experience in league
Assists
Perceived attitude on field
Pass completion
Need for player
Other available 'like for like' options
Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts

cebu

Quote from: MOR : on December 13, 2011, 03:24:46 PM

When I was young, I never understood what the old geezer was waffling on about, but now you've made it crystal clear for me. Thanks!   :54:

Horse

Strike rates would be important:
Goal strike rate:  number of goals / number of minutes on pitch
Assist strike rate: assists / number of minutes on pitch
etc..

Burt

Fitness levels are important. Goals to games ratio is all well and good but if you score a hatrick in one game and spend the rest of the season in the physio room...

Burt

Other factors that may come in to it include:

1. What their favourite cheese is.

2. Who in their opinion is the best looking woman over 40.

3. Whether they think Sanchez is a little bit of a plonker.

horse1031

Quote from: Burt on December 13, 2011, 08:50:34 PM
Fitness levels are important. Goals to games ratio is all well and good but if you score a hatrick in one game and spend the rest of the season in the physio room...

AJ :doh:

jarv