watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Penalities

Started by White Noise, December 13, 2011, 03:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnKovacs

Useful stats there WN. Roughly 2/3 of spot kicks converted this season, seems quite low to me. The goalies are definitely getting better at saving them. Right footers really seem to prefer the left corner (from kickers view), and vice versa for lefties. I also think the goalies are doing their homework and knowing the kickers preferred corner. To me, a good PK taker should be able to hit side netting with pace either side 90% of the time. Another good strategy is to smash it right down the middle about 5' high because you know the keeper is guessing one way or the other. A PK used to be an almost sure goal, but not so much anymore.

Burt

I must admit I get very nervous when we get a penalty. Particularly if that boy Clint Dempsey is stepping up...

HatterDon

I found it interesting that the announcers and commentators lauded Lampard's penalty kick against City. Strong, hard, "unsavable" -- except that it was right down the middle. Had Hart hesitated at all, he could have saved it with his shoulder.

Dempsey hammers a shot to the right of the keeper, Vorm guesses correctly by throwing himself to his right and makes a very good save. Result: Dempsey screws up.

Lampard hammers a shot DIRECTLY AT the keeper, Hart guesses incorrectly by throwing himself to his right and cannot get a finger on a ball hit right at him. Result: Lampard does brilliantly.

"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

finnster01

Fair point Mr Hatter.

However any time Chelsea scores: XXX is brilliant.

Anytime Fulham scores: Nobody gives a shite  :035:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

richie17

I was going to make this point: if Dempsey got another kick and scored he'd be par for the couse, having scored 3/5.

TonyGilroy

But be honest. When you saw it was Clint taking the penalty did you assume he'd miss? I certainly did.

With Murphy we all know he'll score.

I reckon the takers confidence or lack of is transmitted to the keeper.

richie17

Quote from: TonyGilroy on December 14, 2011, 08:42:29 AM
But be honest. When you saw it was Clint taking the penalty did you assume he'd miss? I certainly did.

With Murphy we all know he'll score.

absolutely.  If someone could've rolled the ball across the area so Clint could hit it  first time it'd have been a 'no doubter' but a stationary ball?  Never.

FC Silver Fox

Its all about body language and the look in their eyes just before they take the penalty.  I find its easy to say whether they'll score or not.
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

Burt

Quote from: TonyGilroy on December 14, 2011, 08:42:29 AM

And to the crowd...

Jack Fulham

Quote from: HatterDon on December 14, 2011, 05:06:47 AM
I found it interesting that the announcers and commentators lauded Lampard's penalty kick against City. Strong, hard, "unsavable" -- except that it was right down the middle. Had Hart hesitated at all, he could have saved it with his shoulder.

Dempsey hammers a shot to the right of the keeper, Vorm guesses correctly by throwing himself to his right and makes a very good save. Result: Dempsey screws up.

Lampard hammers a shot DIRECTLY AT the keeper, Hart guesses incorrectly by throwing himself to his right and cannot get a finger on a ball hit right at him. Result: Lampard does brilliantly.

Dempsey put it too Vorm's right at a perfect height for him to save it, it wasn't even in the corner. Vorm also has a reputation for saving penalties so yeah I'd say it was Dempsey's fault. As for Lampard's penalty, he usually goes for a corner so he was clever in the way he caught Joe Hart out.

richie17

Yep - a good penalty removes the goalkeeper from the equation.  None of Dempsey's penalties have been good penalties.

McBridefan1

I remember that pk he took against chelsea... we all knew he wasn't going to make it... it just had that feel to it. Can't explaine it, it was just a feeling but most of us felt it.

Mitch

He hit the exact same spot vs Chelsea...to the right of the keeper, but nowhere near the keeper. It's due to his run up and stance, you can't hit the bottom left like that as a right footer.