watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Everton

Started by Jimpav, December 17, 2011, 10:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimpav

Below us in the table, no transfer budget and a string of very average results. It's not looking great for them is it?

I can't see them going down but it puts our recent form  into perspective. They are a big club, have an illustrious history and were the last club to break into the top 4 before Spurs and Citeh.

I would love to see us sign Cahill. I like Fellaini also but he can be a bit of a liability.

zzamora

No no no no no cahil. too old.

Take Vellios, Jagielka and Drenthe

finnster01

Everton a big club? Not so sure about that really. Likeable club with a lovely old stadium, but is it a proper big club? Leeds used to be a big club. Southampton used to be a big club (coming back to life mind you). Everton I wouldn't call a big club anymore. Perhaps medium?

Haven't won anything since the FA Cup in 1995. That is coming up 17 years ago in May.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Burt

Depends how you define "big"...

Tom

I would say Everton is a medium club like ourselves.
Fulham for life!

finnster01

Quote from: Tom on December 17, 2011, 11:23:45 PM

Although to be fair to them Tom, they actually have a few items larger than an egg-cup in their trophy room

Tom

Quote from: finnster01 on December 17, 2011, 11:25:56 PM
Quote from: Tom on December 17, 2011, 11:23:45 PM

Although to be fair to them Tom, they actually have a few items larger than an egg-cup in their trophy room
True and Everton is a nice club.
Fulham for life!

MrCheviot

I've always admired the job Moyes has done with that club. Never fields a pushover squad, top players frequently tapped up & picked off.

Like us they've had slow starts of late and have managed to climb the table as the season progresses. In a few ways I consider our clubs measuring sticks for one another, along w/ perhaps Newcastle these days.

edit: I know his name is Moyes, phone autocorrect must've thought I was referring to Chris Moyles. Anyway..
"Zamora!! What About that? We have seen some brilliant football from Shakhtar Donetsk tonight, but nothing.. nothing quite as good as that!"

Tom

Quote from: MrCheviot on December 17, 2011, 11:32:57 PM
I've always admired the job Moyles has done with that club. Never fields a pushover squad, top players frequently tapped up & picked off.

Like us they've had slow starts of late and have managed to climb the table as the season progresses. In a few ways I consider our clubs measuring sticks for one another, along w/ perhaps Newcastle these days.
I agree and think you are right on the money.
Fulham for life!

PaulUMD

Moyes does a fine job with a small budget, but he has no room for error.  Looks like he's bringing in Landon Donovan again on loan to try and shake things up. He got them out of a slump two years ago, interesting to see if he can do it again. 

The Bronsons

Big = however you define it. They're smaller than us if you look at owner's resources, bigger if you look at trophies, equal on history.

Always liked Everton: a good club, with genuine non-glory-hunting supporters and perhaps the most loyal manager in the modern world. Can't see them going down, whether or not Donovan's second coming succeeds.

Jack Fulham

Everton always start the season poorly. They always finish strongly though. Made a good loan deal in Donovan as well, he will offer them something different. As for Jagielka and Fellaini, we'd never be able to get them.

HatterDon

Quote from: The Bronsons on December 18, 2011, 01:27:06 AM
Big = however you define it. They're smaller than us if you look at owner's resources, bigger if you look at trophies, equal on history.

Manchester United
Manchester City
Newcastle United
Aston Villa
Liverpool
Chelsea
Tottenham Hotspur

All clubs that have been relegated from the top flight since the last time Everton were. "Big" just doesn't mean money.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

YankeeJim

As long as we have destined them for the Fizzy Pop & are picking the bones, how about Howard to take up for mister sore neck?
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Burt

Part of the equation for me is also fan base, which is why I view them as a big club.

There is a difference between big and successful, after all.

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

Last time I checked Goodison Park held 40,157 and they sell out against the big clubs and average 37,000, that makes them a big(ish) club

finnster01

Quote from: Rambling_Syd_Rumpo on December 18, 2011, 08:51:00 PM
Last time I checked Goodison Park held 40,157 and they sell out against the big clubs and average 37,000, that makes them a big(ish) club

And they have to sell all their young talent which just goes to tell you how little bums in seats count anymore. Just ask Sunderland as well.

Media has indeed messed up football. Rupert Murdoch and his pals has a lot more than a few wiretaps to account for  092.gif

BalDrick

Bigger than us I'd say, but that whole thing is so subjective it's impossible to say.

More importantly, they're certainly joining a growing list of clubs I think we can reasonably expect to finish above this season:

Bolton
Blackburn
Wigan
Sunderland
Wolves
Villa

And that's before you even think of the promoted clubs - not seen any of them extensively but Rangers were v poor in the bits I saw yesterday. Thank god we never signed SWP.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

dancrawford

Everton always start slowly, though don't they? Fancy they'll make the top half - or thereabouts - by the time the season's out.

elgreenio

they're a big club to me, and i've no real idea why nobody has come along and bought them. Could go a long way with a bit of investment.
touch my camera through the fence