watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Gignac, Snodgrass, Maynard & Zamora

Started by White Noise, December 19, 2011, 02:41:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.goal.com/en/news/11/transfer-zone/2011/12/19/2809246/fulham-line-up-january-moves-for-marseille-striker-andre?

Fulham line up January moves for Marseille striker Andre-Pierre Gignac and Championship pair

Martin Jol is looking to reinforce his front line in next month's window by bringing in the France star or Maynard & Snodgrass, while the future of Bobby Zamora remains unclear

Dec 19, 2011 8:00:00 AM   

EXCLUSIVE

By Wayne Veysey

Fulham's chief January centre-forward targets are Marseille's Andre-Pierre Gignac and Championship pair Nicky Maynard and Robert Snodgrass, Goal.com can reveal.
Manager Martin Jol wants a goalscoring striker to reinforce his attacking options in next month's window as the Cottagers look to gradually overhaul their ageing front line.

The rift between Jol and Bobby Zamora, highlighted by Goal.com last month, has been brought into the spotlight after the England international was left out of the Fulham squad that lost to Swansea City nine days ago.

But it is understood that the club's January reinforcements are not dependent on Zamora's situation, despite a growing acceptance among senior Fulham officials that the striker, who turns 31 next month, is for sale at the right price, believed to be around the £5 million mark.

Jol wants a young, mobile centre-forward with a goalscoring pedigree and the potential for improvement as he looks to develop a more expansive style of play at Craven Cottage.

He remains a big admirer of Gignac, 26, who was at Fulham's Motspur Park training ground on transfer deadline day in August negotiating a switch to west London.

But Goal.com has learned that the pay demands of the Frenchman and his representatives scuppered the £7m transfer that had been agreed by the two clubs, and Fulham will look elsewhere in January for a centre-forward if leading target Gignac once again prices himself out of a move.

Gignac, who has earned 16 caps for France, has three-and-a-half years remaining on his Marseille contract but has slipped down the pecking order at the Stade Velodrome after falling out with manager Didier Deschamps and is available to potential suitors.

Red alert | Jol is closely monitoring Bristol City's front man Maynard

Bristol City's Maynard, 25, is being closely monitored by Fulham, who have been impressed by his strong scoring record in a struggling team (44 in 118 league appearances for the club), and there is also a strong interest in highly rated Leeds United forward Snodgrass, 24, who is versatile enough to play in a number of attacking positions.

Fulham's January strategy is believed to be only partly dependent upon Zamora, who has had a series of disagreements with Jol over the manager's use of him and is believed to be unhappy about the progressive overhaul of the team's tactics, which is centred on phasing out a system with a support striker and introducing a Dutch-style 4-3-3 formation.

Jol is expected to make greater use of Andy Johnson's pace and movement over the next month even though the former Crystal Palace forward is out of contract at the end of the season and is holding out for a better deal.

Zamora is one of Fulham's top earners on a £45,000-a-week contract that has two-and-a-half years to run but he is settled in London and does not want to leave the south-east.

Sunderland have expressed the most serious interest in the forward but Zamora rejected a move to Hull City in the summer of 2009 even though a deal had been agreed between Fulham and the Humberside club.

QPR, West Ham, Crystal Palace and Brighton and Hove Albion are more plausible options for a player who is not believed to be a serious option for Tottenham, another of his former clubs.

fulham1234

not too sure on maynard as i go to uni in bristol and been to a couple of games and he was booed by his own fans after being taken off!

TonyGilroy

ClarksOriginal

Quote from: fulham1234 on December 19, 2011, 02:43:04 PM
not too sure on maynard as i go to uni in bristol and been to a couple of games and he was booed by his own fans after being taken off!

Sure they weren't booing the substitution?
@sonikkicks on Twitter.

ElissonSnygg

this is like the best article I ever read,  i take'em all
Official board member of the Swedish Supporter Club - FFC Sweden.

Twitter: @ElissonSnygg

zzamora

Yes.

Please.

and el hamadoui? fallen in love with him on fm 2012.

twang

Quote"But Goal.com has learned that the pay demands of the Frenchman and his representatives scuppered the £7m transfer that had been agreed by the two clubs, and Fulham will look elsewhere in January for a centre-forward if leading target Gignac once again prices himself out of a move."

Ah, good old Goal.com never fails to make poo up.

Gignac was not signed because OM couldn't get the player they wanted (Amauri) in before the deadline, so they pulled the plug on our agreed deal to take Gignac on loan.

MJG

Quote from: ClarksOriginal on December 19, 2011, 02:56:50 PM
Quote from: fulham1234 on December 19, 2011, 02:43:04 PM
Sure they weren't booing the substitution?
Because he's playing out his contract and not signing a new one, some fans feel he is just marking time.

cmg

Is this the same Gignac who is out for six weeks following a thigh operation?

ElissonSnygg

Quote from: cmg on December 19, 2011, 03:23:18 PM

Is this the same Gignac who is out for six weeks following a thigh operation?

Yes, but should be back in january
Official board member of the Swedish Supporter Club - FFC Sweden.

Twitter: @ElissonSnygg

Steven Ageroad

Re Cignac, we do not need another Ruiz who was injured and not fit when he joined the club and is only starting to come good halfway through the season. We need a striker who would be up and running when he joins the club.

Mr Fulham

Quote from: Steven Ageroad on December 19, 2011, 06:36:38 PM
Re Cignac, we do not need another Ruiz who was injured and not fit when he joined the club and is only starting to come good halfway through the season. We need a striker who would be up and running when he joins the club.

Ruiz wasn't injured.

Oh, and I thought we were clear about the fact that long term is more important than short term these days??

Gignac would be a very good signing. We won't go down so we don't need short-term solutions for long-term problems.

I'd go with all of them plus Nat Clyne.

HatterDon

Quote from: Mr Fulham on December 19, 2011, 07:10:26 PM

Ruiz wasn't injured.

Oh, and I thought we were clear about the fact that long term is more important than short term these days??

Gignac would be a very good signing. We won't go down so we don't need short-term solutions for long-term problems.

long-term doesn't keep us in the Prem for next August. Just sayin'
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Mr Fulham

Quote from: HatterDon on December 19, 2011, 07:22:18 PM

Ruiz wasn't injured.

As I said: We won't go down this year and not next year.

ImperialWhite

Quote from: Mr Fulham on December 19, 2011, 07:32:15 PM
Quote from: HatterDon on December 19, 2011, 07:22:18 PM

Ruiz wasn't injured.

As I said: We won't go down this year and not next year.

Exactly. The bottom three as is are much much much poorer than us.

AlFayedsChequebook

I have my reservations about Gignac - is he really what we need? Will he be able to adapt to the prem? Is he just a one season wonder?

If we get him, he will no doubt be a starter, but can he get the goals that we are looking for?

Mr Fulham

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on December 19, 2011, 09:19:47 PM
I have my reservations about Gignac - is he really what we need? Will he be able to adapt to the prem? Is he just a one season wonder?

If we get him, he will no doubt be a starter, but can he get the goals that we are looking for?

Worth a try.

ImperialWhite

Quote from: Mr Fulham on December 19, 2011, 09:29:02 PM

Worth a try.

I think we should try for Gignac. I think he isn't simply a one season wonder and has exactly the qualities we need.

BUT - he's too expensive to merely try. He'll probably cost us €10m.

os5889

Quote from: ImperialWhite on December 19, 2011, 09:36:29 PM

Worth a try.

I think we should try for Gignac. I think he isn't simply a one season wonder and has exactly the qualities we need.

Just PM you Dom

Mr Fulham

Quote from: ImperialWhite on December 19, 2011, 09:36:29 PM

Worth a try.

I agree. I think we should try to make a loan deal + an option to buy for ~8m.