Main Menu

NFR - Suarez banned for 8 games: Report Released 31 December 2011

Started by The King, December 20, 2011, 08:12:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

os5889

Quote from: finnster01 on December 21, 2011, 11:52:55 AM
Quote from: os5889 on December 21, 2011, 11:46:00 AM
Quote from: ClarksOriginal on December 21, 2011, 11:35:57 AM
Agree with the previous post about Russian & Spanish leagues, their concept of racism is totally off and even in the most high profile of games there are incidents that are disgusting.

So the question is posed, should we punish others for not being as educated or enlightened as us?

I'm sure the rest of the world looks at us as a bunch of weak undecisive oversensitive prudes.

If the World Cup is anything to go by, I think the rest of the world has got us pretty much right.

If I qualify in my qualification cue the secondment abroad to get away from this nonsense of a kingdom!

ClarksOriginal

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on December 21, 2011, 11:50:03 AM
Quote from: os5889 on December 21, 2011, 11:46:00 AM
Quote from: ClarksOriginal on December 21, 2011, 11:35:57 AM
Agree with the previous post about Russian & Spanish leagues, their concept of racism is totally off and even in the most high profile of games there are incidents that are disgusting.

So the question is posed, should we punish others for not being as educated or enlightened as us?

I'm sure the rest of the world looks at us as a bunch of weak undecisive oversensitive prudes.

Yes, because Racism is all about being an oversensitive prude  :doh:

TBH, I dont really care what other countries think of us, and neither should you. We have our own moral compass and one of the things that is great about being british is that we are far more tolerant of others than in other countries.

Indeed, Mr Chequebook, I agree with you.

In my viewpoint, the fact that we are punishing Suarez heavily (without evidence, with or other) sets us apart from other bodies and is a good example to set. My main arguement being that during the Bulgaria vs England game there was a significant amount of racist chanting, UEFA fined the Bulgarian FA £35,000. £35,000 to a national governing body is peanuts and in my eyes, pathetic. UEFA, FIFA, CONCACAF etc should surely follow this example, especially seeing as all the governing bodies support and regularly re-iterate their stances of support, an anti-racism campaign throughout the sport.

Racisim, in any form, should not be tolerated - off the football pitch, as in if dealt with by the police, had Suarez been found guilty he may well have been given a jail term. Surely this is the football equivalent?
@sonikkicks on Twitter.

finnster01

If Suarez had said that where I live, he would not be alive today
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

ImperialWhite

Quote from: finnster01 on December 21, 2011, 12:00:01 PM
If Suarez had said that where I live, he would not be alive today

The same is probably true of the gesture made (reminding us what the score was...) by Suarez!

Logicalman

Great comments made by everyone, on both sides.

I can easily see that things are 'lost in translation', and perhaps in SA such a comment would not carry the same racial overtones, but then again, if one lives/works/vacations in a foreign country, then adherence to their laws is something that is of personal interest, and needs to be observed. Ignorance of such an issue is not an acceptable defence, just ask those in the middle east that have received lashes and prison for consuming alcohol, for example.

epsomraver

Also, the Evra crying wolf thing was started by Liverpool fans after he accused him. He does not have 'form' for alleging racial abuse against others.

Indeed he has, he played the race card at Chelsea and tried to get a groundsman on £400 a week the sack by lying and he was found out.

os5889

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16282405.stm

Luis Suarez racism case most difficult of modern times - Davies

Suarez signed for Liverpool in January from Ajax in a deal worth up to £22.8m

The Luis Suarez racism case is "one of the most difficult of modern times", according to former Football Association chief David Davies.

The Liverpool striker has been given an eight-match ban for racially abusing Manchester United's Patrice Evra.

"This has been one of the most difficult disciplinary cases of modern times because of language and cultural issues," Davies told BBC Radio 5 live.

"The FA has got to be consistent, but it has also got to be fair."

Former executive director Davies said the FA was "way ahead" of Uefa and Fifa, the European and world governing bodies for football, when it came to tackling racism in football.

"The FA has been at the forefront of fighting racism over more than a decade, and using football to do so - perhaps way ahead of Uefa, let alone Fifa," he added.

Lord Ouseley, chairman of Kick it Out, football's equality and inclusion campaign, said it did not follow from the guilty verdict that Suarez was a racist but that the FA's decision had to be arrived at on the basis of the comments made.

"All players playing in our jurisdiction know what standards are expected," said Lord Ouseley.

"No-one is saying he's a racist - he's probably a very nice guy. He's alleged to have made abusive comments and that's the basis on which [the case] was considered."

Professional Footballers' Association chief executive Gordon Taylor said: "It's important that when players come to this country they appreciate that while we are very culturally diverse, very cosmopolitan, that's it's also a job for the PFA and the FA and the clubs themselves to educate them.

"That means not just the rules of the game but what's acceptable as the law of the land, and what isn't acceptable both on and off the pitch.

"This is about treating people equally."

Taylor also revealed how attempts by his organisation to mediate between Luis Suarez and Patrice Evra failed.

"I didn't want [the case] to escalate, but I wasn't able to get the players together," Taylor said.

In addition to the ban, Suarez has also been fined £40,000. Liverpool have 14 days to make an appeal.

os5889

Yesterday was Suarez. Now it's D-Day for John Terry: CPS to announce whether it will launch prosecution for alleged racial abuse today

os5889

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/885483-luis-suarez-hit-with-eight-match-ban-for-racially-abusing-patrice-evra?ITO=socialm

Poll

Is the FA's punishment for Suarez fair?

Yes, a precedent needed to be set  23.42%

No, he's been victimised  65.61%

Eight games is not enough! It should be more!  10.97%

Logicalman

Quote from: epsomraver on December 21, 2011, 12:10:57 PM
Also, the Evra crying wolf thing was started by Liverpool fans after he accused him. He does not have 'form' for alleging racial abuse against others.

Indeed he has, he played the race card at Chelsea and tried to get a groundsman on £400 a week the sack by lying and he was found out.

er, perhaps this story  and this one might help in uncovering the Evra claims .... seems that the 'previous claims' claims are not all they were supposed to be.

Jack Fulham

If a football fan is found guilty of racial abuse, they're banned from football grounds for 3 years.

epsomraver

Quote from: Logicalman on December 21, 2011, 12:18:28 PM

er, perhaps this story  and this one might help in uncovering the Evra claims .... seems that the 'previous claims' claims are not all they were supposed to be.

??

ImperialWhite

Quote from: epsomraver on December 21, 2011, 12:31:08 PM

??

Basically all this "Evra has played the [so-called] race card before" stuff is nonsense.

Jack Fulham

Some Dignity, Please

Liverpool FC were founded in 1892. They've been in existence for nearly 120 years. One would expect a club of such history and tradition to react to even the biggest setback with a degree of dignity, maturity and responsibility.

However, their statement in response to the Luis Suarez verdict read like it was written by a nine-year-old child whose ice cream has just been knocked out of their hand.

Let's take it point by point:

'We find it extraordinary that Luis can be found guilty on the word of Patrice Evra alone...'

Well, we'll stop you right there. Thanks to interviews given by the man himself and information very well leaked to the media by we don't know who (but can take a decent guess), Suarez admitted calling Evra 'something his team-mates at Manchester call him', so the use of the word was never in question.

'It is also our opinion that the accusation by this particular player was not credible - certainly no more credible than his prior unfounded accusations.'

Jesus, we thought this was just the domain of ill-informed idiots on the internet. For what is hopefully the final time, Evra has been caught up in racism rows twice before this incident. On neither of those occasions did Evra make the accusation.

'It is key to note that Patrice Evra himself in his written statement in this case said 'I don't think that Luis Suarez is racist'. The FA in their opening remarks accepted that Luis Suarez was not racist.'

We'll say this slowly - the FA did not charge Suarez with 'being a racist'. They charged him with using racist language. A man does not have to be 'a racist' to use racist language.

Luis himself is of a mixed race family background as his grandfather was black...He has played with black players and mixed with their families whilst with the Uruguay national side and was Captain at Ajax Amsterdam of a team with a proud multi-cultural profile, many of whom became good friends.'

Seriously? The 'some of my best friends' argument? And as some have already pointed out, claiming a man cannot be racist because his grandfather was black is a little like saying he cannot be misogynist because he had a grandmother.

'We would also like to know when the FA intend to charge Patrice Evra with making abusive remarks to an opponent after he admitted himself in his evidence to insulting Luis Suarez in Spanish in the most objectionable of terms. Luis, to his credit, actually told the FA he had not heard the insult.'

Ah, the classic trick of trying to flip around the blame. Are you trying to defend your man or simply say the other guy was just as bad? Also, we're handing out credit for 'not lying about hearing something you didn't' now, are we?

Football365 has not taken a stand on this matter because we have no idea what actually happened and without all of the evidence, it's a far too complex issue to take lightly.

Liverpool are a fine football club, but please, have some dignity. It's hardly a surprise when an element of their support reacts in a certain manner when the club behaves in this way.

f365 mediawatch

epsomraver

Quote from: ImperialWhite on December 21, 2011, 12:42:11 PM
Quote from: epsomraver on December 21, 2011, 12:31:08 PM

??

Basically all this "Evra has played the [so-called] race card before" stuff is nonsense.

No it is not, he claimed racial abuse in the punch up with the ground staff at Chelsea, the facts were no one else heard anything of the sort.he was the one banned.

dishEJtheRock!

i just dont understand what the big deal is. i mean racism isnt a good thing. but the way i look at it racism these days is not what it used to be. Racism is definitly bad, for example, when one race is discriminated against or not given certain freedoms and privelidges that other races are. Slavery, not letting black people vote, the holocaust are examples of how bad racism can be.

But name calling? Are you kidding me? Both Suarez and Evra are rediculously overpaid to play a game. Honestly, is being called a name so hurtful to evra? Who really cares? You could call me any name you want it would not bother me or effect me at all. Was Evra denied a service and murdered because of his skin color? No. He was called a name. Last time i checked it was children who cried over name calling not grown adults whose lives are better, and will always be better than all of ours. Now if evra was getting red cards and beaten up after games for being black, thats an issue. Some name calling while playing a game? Its just not that big of a deal. If you let words get to you that easily, maybe your the problem.

TonyGilroy

How do you feel about white supporters taunting and insulting black players?

Is that OK? Not nice but not too serious - to be frowned on but allowed? Something meriting punishment just as ejection from the ground? Something meriting criminal sanction?

Whatever your view on those options surely players should be held to at least the same standards of behaviour.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: dishEJtheRock! on December 21, 2011, 12:56:36 PM
i just dont understand what the big deal is. i mean racism isnt a good thing. but the way i look at it racism these days is not what it used to be. Racism is definitly bad, for example, when one race is discriminated against or not given certain freedoms and privelidges that other races are. Slavery, not letting black people vote, the holocaust are examples of how bad racism can be.

But name calling? Are you kidding me? Both Suarez and Evra are rediculously overpaid to play a game. Honestly, is being called a name so hurtful to evra? Who really cares? You could call me any name you want it would not bother me or effect me at all. Was Evra denied a service and murdered because of his skin color? No. He was called a name. Last time i checked it was children who cried over name calling not grown adults whose lives are better, and will always be better than all of ours. Now if evra was getting red cards and beaten up after games for being black, thats an issue. Some name calling while playing a game? Its just not that big of a deal. If you let words get to you that easily, maybe your the problem.

So....causual racism- no big deal?

Yeh, these bloody black players should be thankful for being singled out because of the colour of their skin.