watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Why are we Scapegoating?

Started by os5889, March 25, 2010, 10:00:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

os5889

It has got me worked up no end this attitude of Blame Roy, Blame Kelly, Blame Etuhu

Kelly handled Bale fine, him and Duff kept Kranjcar and Bale quiet, It was only once the reinvigorated Bentley came on there was the difference.

Etuhu is a defensive midfielder who I recall scoring 1 goal ever, he's no marauding Fabregas and never will be, he does his job and does it well, anyone who expects a metamorphosis into an offensive machine really doesnt get our system!

We lost to a team who when they play like they did start of the second half can beat anyone.

Bentley Huddlestone and Pavlyuchenko would walk into most teams in the league and their fresh impetus was what destroyed us not Kelly.

As soon as it went 2-1 we took off a right back bringing on Demps, Okaka was on shortly after, earlier than most Roy subs, you could on the TV what the game meant to Roy and our magnificent away following (which I feel should be applauded much more than it has been)

Now if you look back through my posts I have said some harsh words about Kelly (Mercenary, **** and the likes) but I do feel by these posts about Roy reacting earlier and Kelly playing terible we are doing a Daily Star and scapegoating. There were no poor performances, we were just beaten! It happens!

We are not Chelski, Spuds or the Arse so  I feel bad the way we have reacted to this defeat, what prides me about Fulham is we treat our players and coaches better.

Lighthouse

It is not scapegoating but opinion born out of frustration. I agree with you about Kelly etc. But Gera was pretty quiet even when we were on top. So I would have expected our manager to react and try to do somethimg to counter Spuds in the second half. It is the modern way of looking at things to think that all criticism is counter productive. In dootball debate is important. Not insulting players but seeing how they could have improved or be brought into the game.

Not blame  and shame just why and who.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

WhiteJC

whilst I agree with what you've said, for me its the disappointment of not playing at Wemberly.
perhaps it was that I now believe my team to get a result, after Juve almost no matter what the odds? a few years ago I wouldn't have expected anything, now I'm disappointed that we're only in one cup

still, theres always next year  :54:

finnster01

Amen, Mr JC,
another year without going to Wemberley
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

TonyGilroy

No point in message boards if we can't express opinions. I can do without the angry, dogmatic, insulting know it all types of opinions but they are rarer here than on other boards.

I think we all know that Roy Hodgson has achieved more than we believed possible but he doesn't always get it right. Thing is that all the things we think he should do are never tested.

I thought Baird should have started instead of Kelly and it was Kelly's foul that led to the free kick that led to the goal but we can't rerun the game with Baird in place of Kelly. Presumably Baird was thought culpable for Man City's goals, Kelly did well against Juventus and Bale was a clear danger so Roy makes an understandable decision which may or may not have been correct. It'll be interesting to see who plays right back at Hull.

I maintain that we were blown apart by a devastating 20 minutes of football the like of which we haven't faced since ManU knocked us out of the Cup last season but each of the goals was preventable and you can be sure that these are being analysed today and the players told what went wrong and how to avoid it.

Sometimes though we meet a team playing better than us.

os5889

Yeah sorry I got riled up, I am just of the opinion that with the team we put out they all played to the best off their abilities but we just got done by a better team! I am so gutted about Wembley, I was close to tears last night!

The Doctor

I've had a go at Kelly over on TIFF, so its only fair I defend my assertions.  I felt he was weak last night from the off.  Very early on, he got done and nearly gave away a penalty for a desperate recovering lunge.  Then of course there was the penalty shout for the handball when him and Crouch were going for the ball (which ended up with Gudjohnson backheeling it goalwards).  He did bring his hand up as he approached it and I've seen those given.

Throughout the first half I felt he somehow managed to get the wrong side of the man every time Spurs played it into our RB area.  As Mr Gilroy has mentioned, there was the reckless lunge on Bale for the free kick from which Spurs scored their first and he didn't even seem to be aware of Pavulychenko for their second - a shocking lapse for a full-back IMO.

I don't blame him for getting done by pace as I believe that Baird would have been as well.  I just think that Baird's positional sense is a little better and we'd have benefitted from that last night with fewer scares.

AlFayedsChequebook

Fantastic post os5889. Common sense rather than just moaning!

Spurs first goal should really have been dealt with by the defence, the ball in wasn't *that* good!

Spurs second goal came from our left hand side yet nobody was saying that Konch is 'rubbish' or 'substandard'. Kelly was so close to getting the flick to deny Pav, and anyway not only was it a great finish, but there were question marks over Schwarzer. Does anyone remember Chelsea away? Similar goal scored and that time is was Baird at the back post in arguably a worse position.

Their third goal also came down our left, so Kelly is not to blame there.

I really like Baird, but I would have hated seeing him torn to shreds last night by the pace of bale! People who think that wouldn't have happened are deluding themselves!

I don't think Kelly is a great player, but he is a solid backup, one who has put his heart and soul into games and played out of position in come crucial wins in the europa league. Paintsil is miles better but Kelly will have to do for now. The loss last night was certainly not any one players fault!

Serotonin

Whilst it would be wrong to blame Kelly for the defeat, it strue he had a bad performance. I'm not sure why Roy had him in the side to be honest, Baird is a much more solid full back, and doesn't make the same silly errors. The thinking could well have been that Kelly is better going forward but since when did Roy look for marauding full backs in an away performance? Even Konchesky tempered his temptations to get forward. But Kelly wasn't the only one to have a bad game, or even the worst. Yes Etuhu was frustrating again and he needs some confidence (look what it did for Gera), but it seems to have gone almost without mention that Murphy also had a bit of a shocker in the second half, but just as its wrong to single out Kelly it would be wrong to single out Murphy (or Etuhu).

Next season when we get knocked out in the third round away at a Championship club (it could happen) we will remember this cup run fondly, and the night of the third round replay when the atmosphere was great and for 45 wonderful minutes the dream was very much alive.

Tonywa

I thought Etuhu had an excellent first half, winning most of his tackles (which is what he is there for after all) and passing it better than usual.  Kelly was poor throughout, but then Baird was dreadful on Sunday at right back so it is hardly surprising that the change was made.  The fact is that we played extremely well in the first half last night and it's a shame that we could not have put away the couple of half chances we made before half-time as that would have given the Spuds a mountain to climb.  It was only the advent of Spurs' substitutes that changed the game and we were pretty well outplayed for the second forty-five minutes.

finnster01

Kelly is ready for the glue pot. End of. poo is too good a word for it

The Rock

I didn't see the match, so I blame Kelly 100% becuase he's not up to it and we all know it. Glad Pants is starting training again.

blingo

I think you are all being a little harsh on a player who we KNOW not to be a top class prem player but he has done ok in europe for us and in the absence of JP has upped his game to probably the best of his ability. He should not be knocked for trying his best. It is all he can do.

bigalffc

It was great in the first half and I dreamed of Wembley, in the 2nd half we dozed off and were punished. Kelly is not up to the job end of. get well soon Pants! and lets have the Europa cup on the shelf!!
Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us we can learn to dance on a shifting carpet - Thomas Crum

richie17

Quote from: finnster01 on March 25, 2010, 05:02:37 PM
Kelly is ready for the glue pot. End of. s*** is too good a word for it

Isn't this where Tony's point comes in though?    Yes, there's no point in having message boards if people can't exchange opinions, but what on earth is this sort of opinion adding?   Sorry for singling out Finnster here - it happens everywhere - but Kelly isn't awful, and, as a fill-in full-back I think he's done about as well as might be expected, especially when you factor in Europe.   I would genuinely like to understand from people slating Kelly how good they expect a backup full-back to be, how consistent, etc.   

And don't get me started on the Etuhu bashing... very underrated player to my mind.   Claude Makalele didn't pass the ball more than 10 yards in his career, for crying out loud.  I'm not saying Etuhu's anywhere near that level of player, but again, he's not meant to be, is he?

finnster01

Quote from: richie17 on March 25, 2010, 10:34:59 PM
Quote from: finnster01 on March 25, 2010, 05:02:37 PM
Kelly is ready for the glue pot. End of. s*** is too good a word for it

Isn't this where Tony's point comes in though?    Yes, there's no point in having message boards if people can't exchange opinions, but what on earth is this sort of opinion adding?   Sorry for singling out Finnster here - it happens everywhere - but Kelly isn't awful, and, as a fill-in full-back I think he's done about as well as might be expected, especially when you factor in Europe.   I would genuinely like to understand from people slating Kelly how good they expect a backup full-back to be, how consistent, etc.   

And don't get me started on the Etuhu bashing... very underrated player to my mind.   Claude Makalele didn't pass the ball more than 10 yards in his career, for crying out loud.  I'm not saying Etuhu's anywhere near that level of player, but again, he's not meant to be, is he?
You can single me out as much as you want, doesn't bother me. If you are happy with Championship quality and style of football Mr Richie, why do you not follow Scunthorpe every week? I expect more from Fulham.

Etuhu underrated? Kelly doing a good job and a free get-out-of-jail card? Makes me wonder, have you ever watched Fulham son?

VicHalomsLovechild

For what it's worth I thought we played some of our best football this season in the first 45 minutes. I've had a long think about naming names and putting the blame at someones door but what good does it do? Mr Roy buys and signs them. Then trains them and sends them out to play. I guess they come out wanting to play well and get a result. Some weeks it works other weeks it doesn't. Sometimes they come up against teams who just can't lose or they have an absolute mare and nothing goes right for them. The one big plus for the current squad is good or bad Roy stands by them and points out to anyone listening that it doesn't always go to plan and it doesn't make them a bad squad of players.
So I'm going to follow that path. If Roy sends them out to represent the Club then they're the best eleven the Club has on that day. They saved us from certain relegation, they got us to our highest ever Premiership position and they've taken us across Europe.
I'd be dead chuffed to meet and shake the hand of any one of them.

os5889

Damn I wish I could find my anti Kelly rant, must have been on the old FoF, it was one of my proudest achievements

HatterDon

Quote from: VicHalomsLovechild on March 25, 2010, 11:26:49 PM
For what it's worth I thought we played some of our best football this season in the first 45 minutes. I've had a long think about naming names and putting the blame at someones door but what good does it do? Mr Roy buys and signs them. Then trains them and sends them out to play. I guess they come out wanting to play well and get a result. Some weeks it works other weeks it doesn't. Sometimes they come up against teams who just can't lose or they have an absolute mare and nothing goes right for them. The one big plus for the current squad is good or bad Roy stands by them and points out to anyone listening that it doesn't always go to plan and it doesn't make them a bad squad of players.
So I'm going to follow that path. If Roy sends them out to represent the Club then they're the best eleven the Club has on that day. They saved us from certain relegation, they got us to our highest ever Premiership position and they've taken us across Europe.
I'd be dead chuffed to meet and shake the hand of any one of them.

What Mr. Lovechild said!  :045:
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

finnster01

Sorry but I still think Kelly is absolutely s***e and singlehandedly cost me a trip to watch Fulham at Wembley again in 35 years.