watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Our strike force for the first match of next season

Started by Brede Butter Pudding, March 28, 2010, 12:59:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brede Butter Pudding

We know that Nevland is leaving us at the end of this season so he is out of the equation and I can see Roy offloading Eddie Johnson at the end of this term. However, Elm appears to have signed a new contract and Kamara will certainly return from his spell at Celtic. In addition, AJ should be fit and Okaka may well sign a contract extension. If all of these things happen, what would be your front line for the first match of next season?

I think I would start Bobby and AJ up top with Kamara, Okaka and Elm on the bench.

However, it is pretty clear that our striking force needs strengthening. Are there any players you would like to see come to the club next season? I wouldn't mind a bit of Kevin Doyle or Steven Fletcher. Anyone else?

os5889

My personal feeling is that Doyle wont join us, he didnt want to play the role Roy had in mind for him in the summer and has settled at Wolves. I cant really see us dipping into the premiership barrel of forwards, perhaps Cant Control from the spammers would be the only player to be nabbed from relegated teams.

Id cast an eye abroad if Roy does look about. Gedo was one that was persistently linked with us, Scandanavian treats?? Italian defectors??

Also Gera must now surely be classed a more potent striker than anyone at the club bar Zamora, to me he has become a striker that occasionally plays on the wing!

Brede Butter Pudding

Yeah that's a good point, although I can't see Gera starting ahead of AJ next season... maybe Gera will be a versatile back up player for a number of areas around the pitch, including Striker, CM replacement for Murphy or on either wing. And you're right, he will probably look abroad, I'd be surprised if he doesn't bring in at least 1 more forward during the summer

Mr Fulham

According to The People Fulham will try to buy Landon Donovan out of his MLS contract.

Brede Butter Pudding

Absolutely no chance of that, he's smitten with Everton and if he was going to come to England it would only be to there and nowhere else. Although I think he's quality and would love to see him here.

LRCN

Bobby and aj will be our two forwards with elm, okaka and some new forward on the bench I reckon (unless one of them goes).

Quote from: Brede Butter Pudding on March 28, 2010, 04:12:59 PM
Absolutely no chance of that, he's smitten with Everton and if he was going to come to England it would only be to there and nowhere else. Although I think he's quality and would love to see him here.

he never really played much as a forward at everton, usually he was on the wing. I can see him coming here, if the MLS decide to let him go.

YankeeJim

No way Donovan comes here. While he is adecent striker his pace makes him  a very good winger. We don't need him there & he'd cost to much. We aren't rich. we need to spend on a player that compliments BZ.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Tom

Quote from: Mr Fulham on March 28, 2010, 03:28:30 PM
According to The People Fulham will try to buy Landon Donovan out of his MLS contract.
This would be a great move if we got Landon! Look what he did at Everton, made them a better team. Kamara will be gone.
Fulham for life!

Tom

Quote from: Lork on March 28, 2010, 05:29:18 PM
Bobby and aj will be our two forwards with elm, okaka and some new forward on the bench I reckon (unless one of them goes).

Quote from: Brede Butter Pudding on March 28, 2010, 04:12:59 PM

he never really played much as a forward at everton, usually he was on the wing. I can see him coming here, if the MLS decide to let him go.
I would take 3 of the 4. I would try and sell AJ and bring someone in that is better than him. AJ is a china doll and always hurt. We need someone who can actually be fit and play on the pitch.
Fulham for life!

Whiteroom

Slightly controversial, but I think that we should try to get rid of AJ in the summer. I don't think he will have the pace that he once did. He is not that young anymore. I think that there will be some silly team who would pay 5-6M for him. We really ought to try and get somebody new before next season.

Brede Butter Pudding

I too would love to sell him but Woy definitely won't, it was he who bought him for £12+ million and offloading him would be seen as a sign of failure, and Roy wouldn't want that. I'd love to get Carlton Cole up front with Bobatov, I think they would be a sensational pairing but he'll probably be snapped up by someone like Arsenal or United

ScalleysDad

Quote from: Brede Butter Pudding on March 28, 2010, 09:00:31 PM
I too would love to sell him but Woy definitely won't, it was he who bought him for £12+ million and offloading him would be seen as a sign of failure, and Roy wouldn't want that. I'd love to get Carlton Cole up front with Bobatov, I think they would be a sensational pairing but he'll probably be snapped up by someone like Arsenal or United

Would that admission of failure include Stoor, Andreasson, Kallio, Andranik, Litmanen, Greening and Riise who secured their definite failure tag on yesterdays performances, and Elm,KD and Okaka judging by their cameos thus far. I'm not so sure the "need time to settle" debate holds much sway either. I have watched the reserves and its not exactly sunday league stuff and these guys are supposed to know which goal to attack and which one to defend. Add to that the coaching, the training, the supporting cast and the opportunities given we should be losing key players and not hurting. The rise of BZ to legend status has had as much to do with AJ's absence as settling in and coaching and lest we forget he would have been on the failure list a year ago. Had AJ still been playing would BZ be the monster, most of the time anyway, he has become. I think LB quoted Roy as being "the one who cannot be questioned", (apoligise if inaccurate), but I would question at least 50% of his signings. I suppose Pants, Hangeland, Duff and Schwarz balance the scales a bit but two of those plus Murph and Davies are on the heir apparent required list and least one of the above should have accomplished that. Etuhu and Kelly ???? ................Different thread altogether.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: ScalleysDad on March 28, 2010, 10:53:59 PM
Quote from: Brede Butter Pudding on March 28, 2010, 09:00:31 PM

Would that admission of failure include Stoor, Andreasson, Kallio, Andranik, Litmanen, Greening and Riise who secured their definite failure tag on yesterdays performances, and Elm,KD and Okaka judging by their cameos thus far. I'm not so sure the "need time to settle" debate holds much sway either. I have watched the reserves and its not exactly sunday league stuff and these guys are supposed to know which goal to attack and which one to defend. Add to that the coaching, the training, the supporting cast and the opportunities given we should be losing key players and not hurting. The rise of BZ to legend status has had as much to do with AJ's absence as settling in and coaching and lest we forget he would have been on the failure list a year ago. Had AJ still been playing would BZ be the monster, most of the time anyway, he has become. I think LB quoted Roy as being "the one who cannot be questioned", (apoligise if inaccurate), but I would question at least 50% of his signings. I suppose Pants, Hangeland, Duff and Schwarz balance the scales a bit but two of those plus Murph and Davies are on the heir apparent required list and least one of the above should have accomplished that. Etuhu and Kelly ???? ................Different thread altogether.

Hmm. Of the first team signings that Roy has made, only AJ has really disapointed, and there is a caveat to that in that he has been injured for pretty much his entire second season. Etuhu us a very valuable player for us, dovetailing with Murphy very well in centre mid and creating a platform that has seen us finish 7th in the league and get to the Europa League Quarter Finals. Yes Etuhu has not been amazing this season, but he has certainly done his job, unlike Murphy on many weeks, who has for a while now consistently underperformed.

Now lets look at the other signings you mention. Andreasson, Kallio and Litmanen were 'we desperately need more players' purchases in the great escape season, before leaving or becoming backups.

Andranik, Greening, Riise, Elm, KD, Okaka and Kelly are all backups. Several of them have come in and done well as we have been hit by injuries others have not shined. Many were dirt cheap, free or loan signings. If we had a backup squad of superstars we would be chelsea/man utd/arsenal. As it is we cannot afford amazing backups and cannot find players who really want to sit on a mid-table premier league teams bench.

ScalleysDad

Mr Alf,
I'll start with an uhm then. I get your points with my own caveat. None of the so called back up players come close to maintaining the level set for the first team. Recent results show that without BZ up front we are toothless and without Demps or Duff in the team we lack guile. Duff could certainly replace Murph on the free kick role but who from "the backups" could/would pull the strings as it were . Would Hughes have been as caught out as Smalling was and does Kelly come even close to covering for the numerous options Pants offers. IMHO both Murph, Etuhu and Davies are way off this season but the options have been poorer. Of the original list many have'nt been used even when we have been hopelessly hopeless. My worry is that we get another unknown scandinavian who needs 18 months. Equally I worry about not being able to bring in the bigger name, or two, if our current slide continues and we end up consolidated in the bottom quarter. Juve and Manure aside the Matches and Tickets page on the web site does'nt made great reading post Christmas......................... yes I worry alot.   

However with no resevations I agree we do not want to become a Chelski and whine pitifully all the time. The Europa is costing us but I think we are safe............ ish. In a way I hope the Juve night is not repeated on Thursday as it was quite a rollercoaster that I was lucky enough to share with Scally and a whole bunch of Italians but a ground out two nil will do nicely.

AlFayedsChequebook

ScallysDad, I understand your frustrations, but I dont think that we can complain when a backup player is not good enough for an extended run in the first team. People would be up in arms if teams such as Blackburn, Stoke, Hull, West Ham, Bolton and even the likes of Tottenham and Everton were expecting to beat us with a largely second string squad away from home. Yes, Hull are a poor side, but they wanted it more and we played a fair few reserve players.

My point about Chelsea and Man utd was more that they are the only sides who can expect to field several reserve players and still expect to win. For pretty much every one outside the top four you have to play your first team because the reserves are not good enough to play at a consistently high level.

Apologies for the Hmm btw, no offense implied!

ScalleysDad

Fair enough. I don't suppose your chequebook has the odd 70 million quid in it ?