News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Which Season Have You Enjoyed More - This One Or The Last One?

Started by White Noise, May 04, 2012, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: MJG on May 04, 2012, 04:22:05 PM
Anyway we all know it was the players (who after the west ham game met Hughes and changed the style slightly) that got us out of the mess we were in last season.

I wish this was true, but I dont think Hughes's ego could have taken a player takeover.

They definitely met and discussed things, but Hughes was very much in charge of the team still.

cottage cheese

Quote from: MJG on May 04, 2012, 04:20:07 PM
Quote from: cottage cheese on May 04, 2012, 04:16:48 PM

to be fair we did not play that bad against liverpool last year actually.
Here's a website for you www.specsavers.co.uk

did you go to the game?  
we played poorly first 30 min just like we have this season against city,everton,spurs villa... and yes marks mistake made it 3.
But in the second half we scored to make it 3-1 and bobby nearly made it 2 with a sweet shot. We were on the up and i actually felt we could get a draw and then maxi and suarez struck with amazing wonder goals...so yes we played poorly for the first 30 min but we have for many games this season...

cottage cheese

Anyway we all know it was the players (who after the west ham game met Hughes and changed the style slightly) that got us out of the mess we were in last season.

what and the players didnt have a word ith jol during and after the newcastle game on tactics......get a proper reason to comment

MJG

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on May 04, 2012, 04:24:25 PM

I wish this was true, but I dont think Hughes's ego could have taken a player takeover.

They definitely met and discussed things, but Hughes was very much in charge of the team still.
I dont believe the stories of the players changing tactics on the pitch or Murphy taking charge at times. But in Bairds TV interview its clear they went to Hughes and said they wanted to change things.
Hughes tried to change things far too quickly (both on and off the pitch) and thats partly why we found ourselves in the bottom 3 on boxing day, not just the loss of Zamora.

Jack Fulham

Quote from: cottage cheese on May 04, 2012, 04:26:13 PM

what and the players didnt have a word ith jol during and after the newcastle game on tactics......get a proper reason to comment

Actually Jol changed it tactically when Sidwell went off injured in the 37th minute and brought Andy Johnson on. He then brought Baird on at half time for Ruiz and the game turned in our favour. Where is the evidence to suggest the players had a word with Jol? From the Hughes situation, we had actual quotes from players.

cottage cheese

Quote from: Jack Fulham on May 04, 2012, 04:34:54 PM

Actually Jol changed it tactically when Sidwell went off injured in the 37th minute and brought Andy Johnson on. He then brought Baird on at half time for Ruiz and the game turned in our favour. Where is the evidence to suggest the players had a word with Jol? From the Hughes situation, we had actual quotes from players.

tha fact every newspaper reported of unrest in our squad about tactics etc...whenever have we been in the press that often about team unrest and fallings out. Something was not right for the first few months. Just like last season.

This is why i find it funny when people complain about hughes yet Jol didnt have the best of starts did he considering he was in the job since june and hughes since august???

MJG

Quote from: cottage cheese on May 04, 2012, 04:48:42 PM
Quote from: Jack Fulham on May 04, 2012, 04:34:54 PM

tha fact every newspaper reported of unrest in our squad about tactics etc...whenever have we been in the press that often about team unrest and fallings out. Something was not right for the first few months. Just like last season.

This is why i find it funny when people complain about hughes yet Jol didnt have the best of starts did he considering he was in the job since june and hughes since august???
Unrest....leaks from the dressing room....Zamora gone....leaks stop....unrest goes away.....Conclusion?

MasterHaynes

No contest, forget Hughes treachery at the end, the first 4 months of the season were dire, some of the worst football I have endured watching at the cottage at times with hoofball tactics to a center forward who was a foot shorter than the players marking him, the Birmingham and West ham Home games started to get us believing our time may have come for the drop. We had no 5 plus goal home wins and ended up rock bottom of the london derby table for bragging rights.

So although we seem to go from sublime to awful at times even within the same game at least there is at least 45 minutes of great football in every home game this season and no thoughts at anytime that we were ever in trouble.

MasterHaynes

Quote from: cottage cheese on May 04, 2012, 04:11:12 PM
Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on May 04, 2012, 04:04:13 PM
Quote from: cottage cheese on May 04, 2012, 04:00:22 PM
and for the record we lost to blackburn who won 3-1 when they had 10 men and they are on course to be relegated this season. That west ham argument does not work

?

We have had some poor results this season, but we had some awful ones last season as well.

Also, how long have we spent in the relegation zone this season compared to last? Care to enlighten me?

this season 
draws with villa and blackburn at home
losses at villa (they have won 1 in 14) blackburn, swansea
the first half performances against arsenal,everton,spurs,city,

that is a fair share

im not arguing that hughes was better but you cant highlight one game last year when we have had a few embarrasing results this year as well
Our win against Blackburn at home last year was all luck , we should have lost that if Rodellega would have scored what was practically an open goal along with a load of other squandered chances they missed. WE GOT a very fortunate penalty, yes it was a penalty but how many times do you see a penalty given for pulling/pushing at a corner..practically never

MasterHaynes

Quote from: cottage cheese on May 04, 2012, 04:00:22 PM
and for the record we lost to blackburn who won 3-1 when they had 10 men and they are on course to be relegated this season. That west ham argument does not work
You mean the same team the beat Utd at Old trafford who put in a brilliant performance against with a player that evry one is queuing up to buy? They were brilliant against us definitely not the same as West Ham game last season who were still poor despite the fact they beat us. It was not the result it was they way we played against a very poor team that had no redeeming features.

ImperialWhite

Quote from: MasterHaynes on May 04, 2012, 04:59:34 PM
some of the worst football I have endured watching at the cottage at times with hoofball tactics to a center forward who was a foot shorter than the players marking him, the Birmingham and West ham Home games started to get us believing our time may have come for the drop. We had no 5 plus goal home wins and ended up rock bottom of the london derby table for bragging rights.

Yes, true on both counts.

For a while (granted not all season by any stretch) under Hughes we did become the worst hoof-ball team in history, it was awful.

And this season we've had some superb thrashings (as well as other high profile wins over Arsenal and Liverpool, twice).

Bassey the warrior

This one by a long shot. It's had everything: drama, excitement, huge disappointment, huge joy, lots of surprises, some great football and some terrible football. It's been a mixed bag but the highs far outshine those from last season and we're playing the best football I've seen since the Tigana reign. I may be wrong but I think we've already matched last seasons totals and given all that's happened I think it's right to say we've had a more successful season this season.

Berserker

Quote from: The Moose on May 04, 2012, 05:45:24 PM
This one by a long shot. It's had everything: drama, excitement, huge disappointment, huge joy, lots of surprises, some great football and some terrible football. It's been a mixed bag but the highs far outshine those from last season and we're playing the best football I've seen since the Tigana reign. I may be wrong but I think we've already matched last seasons totals and given all that's happened I think it's right to say we've had a more successful season this season.

Also I had a long weekend in Amsterdam so that I go over to the FC Twente match - loved the trip
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

LRCN

Quote from: finnster01 on May 04, 2012, 04:04:24 PM
Quote from: ~lork on May 04, 2012, 03:43:29 PM
Quote from: finnster01 on May 04, 2012, 03:20:13 PM
Quote from: sipwell on May 04, 2012, 03:14:15 PM
Quote from: finnster01 on May 04, 2012, 03:09:43 PM
last one because this season has been tarnished with the abysmal ejection from the europa league, as good as it's been otherwise.

How can you beat this season? I don't care if we even finish 17th (which we won't), we got 6 points from Liverpool and QPR :yay:

Not to forget we attracted a top notch manager in Martin Jol!

064.gif

BTW, Billy Mac and not Martin Jol, made history and beat Liverpool at Anfield which I am sure nobody takes note of.

:doh:

WTF? Am I wrong? Check the lineup card for the match and see who the manager was. You should know better young man.

it would have been jol with the line up/tactics/drillin gthe players etc... it is his team... dont let your dislike of him get in the way of whatever he achieves or doesnt mate.

finnster01

Quote from: ~lork on May 04, 2012, 08:27:58 PM
last one because this season has been tarnished with the abysmal ejection from the europa league, as good as it's been otherwise.

How can you beat this season? I don't care if we even finish 17th (which we won't), we got 6 points from Liverpool and QPR :yay:

064.gif

BTW, Billy Mac and not Martin Jol, made history and beat Liverpool at Anfield which I am sure nobody takes note of.

WTF? Am I wrong? Check the lineup card for the match and see who the manager was. You should know better young man.

it would have been jol with the line up/tactics/drillin gthe players etc... it is his team... dont let your dislike of him get in the way of whatever he achieves or doesnt mate.

Again, was Martin Jol on the lineup card as the manager that day? That is a simple yes/no question my friend. 
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

LRCN

Quote from: finnster01 on May 04, 2012, 10:03:41 PM

064.gif

Again, was Martin Jol on the lineup card as the manager that day? That is a simple yes/no question my friend. 

come on mate...

finnster01

Quote from: ~lork on May 04, 2012, 10:08:39 PM

064.gif

come on mate...

Just stating facts man. Could earn you a fortune in a pub quiz. "Who was the first Fulham manager to beat Liverpool at Anfield in the Prem?" Answer: Billy McKinlay

LRCN

Quote from: finnster01 on May 04, 2012, 10:12:42 PM

064.gif

come on mate...

Just stating facts man. Could earn you a fortune in a pub quiz. "Who was the first Fulham manager to beat Liverpool at Anfield in the Prem?" Answer: Billy McKinlay

he wasnt manager though mate. not once between 7:45 and 9:45 was mckinlay's job title 'manager of fulham'. just because jol isn't absent doesn't not make him manager.

finnster01

Quote from: ~lork on May 04, 2012, 10:15:18 PM
Quote from: finnster01 on May 04, 2012, 10:12:42 PM

064.gif

come on mate...

he wasnt manager though mate. not once between 7:45 and 9:45 was mckinlay's job title 'manager of fulham'. just because jol isn't absent doesn't not make him manager.
You have to list a manager on the lineup card for each match. And on that day, it wasn't Martin Jol. Tough Bristol Cities.

Travers Barney

Personal take

Crazy season.

Highlights winning at Anfield and overall day at Shepherds Bush.

Negatives Twente and Everton cup away...second half and e-t show at the dog track in the league cup not too special

For me MJ season more enjoyable than a MH season.

coyw
We are the whites