News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Which Season Have You Enjoyed More - This One Or The Last One?

Started by White Noise, May 04, 2012, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LRCN

Quote from: finnster01 on May 04, 2012, 03:20:13 PM
Quote from: sipwell on May 04, 2012, 03:14:15 PM
Quote from: finnster01 on May 04, 2012, 03:09:43 PM
last one because this season has been tarnished with the abysmal ejection from the europa league, as good as it's been otherwise.

How can you beat this season? I don't care if we even finish 17th (which we won't), we got 6 points from Liverpool and QPR :yay:

Not to forget we attracted a top notch manager in Martin Jol!

064.gif

BTW, Billy Mac and not Martin Jol, made history and beat Liverpool at Anfield which I am sure nobody takes note of.

:doh:

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: cottage cheese on May 04, 2012, 03:43:01 PM
Quote from: Berserker on May 04, 2012, 03:38:32 PM
Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on May 04, 2012, 11:10:38 AM
This one because it feels like more has been achieved.

Plus, I was not seriously contemplating relegation, unlike last season at 5pm on the 26th Dec

Agree totally, I was so depressed after the West Ham match, I couldn't see us beating Stoke away and thought we were doomed.

very fickle of you may i say.  We had no strikers. Was it no surprise to you that once we got our strikers fit again we shot up the league and finished on a high? I think we won most games 3/4 nil at the end of the season. People have very short memories.

But i would only go for this season as we beat qphahhaa by 6

Fickle? We were bottom of the league and had been awful for the last 2 months and had just lost to a team that would later go on to be relegated.

Love how people say 'no surprise that when we got our strikers back we were fine'. Hindsight is 100% isn't it?

Also note that I was one of the people who defended Jol.

Fickle my arse

cottage cheese

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on May 04, 2012, 03:52:41 PM

Plus, I was not seriously contemplating relegation, unlike last season at 5pm on the 26th Dec

Agree totally, I was so depressed after the West Ham match, I couldn't see us beating Stoke away and thought we were doomed.

very fickle of you may i say.  We had no strikers. Was it no surprise to you that once we got our strikers fit again we shot up the league and finished on a high? I think we won most games 3/4 nil at the end of the season. People have very short memories.

Fickle? We were bottom of the league and had been awful for the last 2 months and had just lost to a team that would later go on to be relegated.

Love how people say 'no surprise that when we got our strikers back we were fine'. Hindsight is 100% isn't it?

Fickle my arse

i do find it fickle.

the fact we had dempsey upfront on his own and eddie johnson..no wonder we were not scoring. However, our play did not change when we had zamora,aj,dembele and davies back. We just shot up the league as we had people who knew how to score!

i wasnt worried i just knew we had to ride out the storm....unlike Jol which we had to endure 3-4 months of crap until he actually figured out a system and right team.

cottage cheese

and for the record we lost to blackburn who won 3-1 when they had 10 men and they are on course to be relegated this season. That west ham argument does not work

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: cottage cheese on May 04, 2012, 03:59:25 PM

Fickle my arse

i do find it fickle.

the fact we had dempsey upfront on his own and eddie johnson..no wonder we were not scoring. However, our play did not change when we had zamora,aj,dembele and davies back. We just shot up the league as we had people who knew how to score!

i wasnt worried i just knew we had to ride out the storm....unlike Jol which we had to endure 3-4 months of crap until he actually figured out a system and right team.

As I said, hindsight is 20/20.

I assume you were praising Hughes to the heavens when we were bottom of the league?

I am not sure how worrying about relegation when we were bottom of the league is fickle?

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: cottage cheese on May 04, 2012, 04:00:22 PM
and for the record we lost to blackburn who won 3-1 when they had 10 men and they are on course to be relegated this season. That west ham argument does not work

?

We have had some poor results this season, but we had some awful ones last season as well.

Also, how long have we spent in the relegation zone this season compared to last? Care to enlighten me?

finnster01

Quote from: ~lork on May 04, 2012, 03:43:29 PM
last one because this season has been tarnished with the abysmal ejection from the europa league, as good as it's been otherwise.

How can you beat this season? I don't care if we even finish 17th (which we won't), we got 6 points from Liverpool and QPR :yay:

064.gif

BTW, Billy Mac and not Martin Jol, made history and beat Liverpool at Anfield which I am sure nobody takes note of.

WTF? Am I wrong? Check the lineup card for the match and see who the manager was. You should know better young man.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

cottage cheese

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on May 04, 2012, 04:03:18 PM

very fickle of you may i say.  We had no strikers. Was it no surprise to you that once we got our strikers fit again we shot up the league and finished on a high? I think we won most games 3/4 nil at the end of the season. People have very short memories.

Fickle my arse

i do find it fickle.

I assume you were praising Hughes to the heavens when we were bottom of the league?

I am not sure how worrying about relegation when we were bottom of the league is fickle?

no what i was saying everyone seems to remember that bad patch around xmas (which is was but we had reasons, injury crisis etc) the teams around us had fit squads and we were just suffering up front. As sooon as we picked up we shot up the league and finished 8th. Yet people only remember the bad patch when in fact under hughes we finished in top 3 for form in 2011, best home record, we were amazing away under him last few months as we attacked from the word go....
I like jol but we did have to endure 3-4 months of absolute rubbish at times and so both season have their faults and positives

sipwell

Quote from: finnster01 on May 04, 2012, 04:04:24 PM

064.gif

WTF? Am I wrong? Check the lineup card for the match and see who the manager was. You should know better young man.

Doesn't matter who got the points then or who was first, you will have to admit that our current manager got the 12 points now (his tactical genius and all that).  :hook:  yee-haw!
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

finnster01

cottage cheese

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on May 04, 2012, 04:04:13 PM

?

We have had some poor results this season, but we had some awful ones last season as well.

Also, how long have we spent in the relegation zone this season compared to last? Care to enlighten me?

this season  
draws with villa and blackburn at home
losses at villa (they have won 1 in 14) blackburn, swansea
the first half performances against arsenal,everton,spurs,city,

that is a fair share

im not arguing that hughes was better but you cant highlight one game last year when we have had a few embarrasing results this year as well

MJG

Quote from: finnster01 on May 04, 2012, 04:04:24 PM

064.gif

by saying that, you lay no blame at all on Jol for the Everton result?

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: cottage cheese on May 04, 2012, 04:07:08 PM

very fickle of you may i say.  We had no strikers. Was it no surprise to you that once we got our strikers fit again we shot up the league and finished on a high? I think we won most games 3/4 nil at the end of the season. People have very short memories.

Fickle my arse

i do find it fickle.

no what i was saying everyone seems to remember that bad patch around xmas (which is was but we had reasons, injury crisis etc) the teams around us had fit squads and we were just suffering up front. As sooon as we picked up we shot up the league and finished 8th. Yet people only remember the bad patch when in fact under hughes we finished in top 3 for form in 2011, best home record, we were amazing away under him last few months as we attacked from the word go....
I like jol but we did have to endure 3-4 months of absolute rubbish at times and so both season have their faults and positives

I dont think many people solely focus on the poor form under Hughes. In fact, our form at the end of last season was repeatedly used as a stick to beat Jol this year.

Our away form did improve, but we hardly became amazing on the road, picking up 3 away wins. There is a certain amount of revisionism that we suddenly solved our away day blues, but the numbers do not strictly add up.

MJG

Quote from: cottage cheese on May 04, 2012, 04:11:12 PM

?

this season  

that is a fair share

im not arguing that hughes was better but you cant highlight one game last year when we have had a few embarrasing results this year as well
I will add City & liverpool at home last season as the two worst displays by us over the last two seasons.

finnster01

Of course.

We could have been managed by Sir Winston Churchill that day and still lost.

cottage cheese

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on May 04, 2012, 04:13:25 PM
Quote from: cottage cheese on May 04, 2012, 04:07:08 PM

Fickle my arse

i do find it fickle.

I dont think many people solely focus on the poor form under Hughes. In fact, our form at the end of last season was repeatedly used as a stick to beat Jol this year.

Our away form did improve, but we hardly became amazing on the road, picking up 3 away wins. There is a certain amount of revisionism that we suddenly solved our away day blues, but the numbers do not strictly add up.

so what the hell are we arguing about then?

cottage cheese

Quote from: MJG on May 04, 2012, 04:14:13 PM

?

this season 

that is a fair share

I will add City & liverpool at home last season as the two worst displays by us over the last two seasons.

to be fair we did not play that bad against liverpool last year actually. It was a poor mistake by Mark for one goal and two wonder goals by maxi and suarez that makes the scoreline worse .

AlFayedsChequebook

?

this season  

that is a fair share

That is not what I am arguing. I am saying it is unfair to label me as fickle because after losing to West Ham at home, we found ourselves at the bottom of the premier league with an away game to Stoke next on the list, and I was worried about relegation. Considering we were a) yet to win away and b) unsure as to when Bobby would be getting back I think it was fair to worry and was certainly not a fickle, knee jerk reaction.

MJG

MJG

Anyway we all know it was the players (who after the west ham game met Hughes and changed the style slightly) that got us out of the mess we were in last season.