News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Your Suggestions For Alternatives To MOTM Champage Please?

Started by White Noise, May 06, 2012, 09:01:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

League consider switching man of the match award to take in variety of faiths

By Sportsmail Reporter

PUBLISHED: 00:36, 6 May 2012 | UPDATED: 02:10, 6 May 2012

Comments (7)

The Premier League considered changing their man-of-the-match prize of champagne to acknowledge the multi-faith diversity of top-flight players.

A League spokesman said: 'We sought advice from religious groups before concluding that the champagne was treated as  a highly-coveted award.'

Changing times: The Premier League are considering changing their man of the match award

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2140178/Premier-League-consider-scrapping-champagne-man-match-award.html#ixzz1u4fi21xQ

MJG

Nothing like the FA dealing with the burning issues in the game.

Ron Sheepskin

What a waste of time and effort the FA are, if this is not a mad up filler for a tabloid.

Show me the rule that says the recipient has to drink the champagne, and I'll agree that there may be occasions where something else should be in the bottle. And why just religion - there are some very good kids in first teams. I'm pretty sure Rooney would have been man of the match once or twice when he was in Everton's first team at 17.

In Formula 1, rose water is used instead of champagne in certain countries. I have no problem with that - it's about respecting your host. Let's stick with that idea, and bury this story and the Daily Mail jurnalist who wrote it.
"Do not affix anything to this wall" - sign that was affixed to wall above turnstiles at Hammy end before someone with a clipboard replaced it with a large Fire Exit sign.

Blingo

I need a drink  :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

The Equalizer

May I suggest that we move from champagne to a pound of pork and beef sausages?
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

PokerMatt

Quote from: Ron Sheepskin on May 06, 2012, 09:26:22 AM
What a waste of time and effort the FA are, if this is not a mad up filler for a tabloid.

Show me the rule that says the recipient has to drink the champagne, and I'll agree that there may be occasions where something else should be in the bottle. And why just religion - there are some very good kids in first teams. I'm pretty sure Rooney would have been man of the match once or twice when he was in Everton's first team at 17.

In Formula 1, rose water is used instead of champagne in certain countries. I have no problem with that - it's about respecting your host. Let's stick with that idea, and bury this story and the Daily Mail jurnalist who wrote it.

The Rooney example I specifically remember happening. They 'awarded' it for show but had to give it to the captain instead as he was underage.

No talk of changing it to apple juice then, so let's just leave it as is. Sure it doesn't get drunk anyway.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

HatterDon

I would think 1000 quid donation to the Princes Trust in the players name would be the right way to go.

10,000 for the BPL player and manager of the month.

All of it funded by a pool of money donated by players, coaches, and board members.

I know, I know. Dare to dream.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

finnster01

The Indy 500 winner gets a bottle of milk and drinks it.
I'd like to see John Terry, Joey Barton and Craig Bellamy do just that  :005:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

sipwell

Quote from: finnster01 on May 08, 2012, 02:32:52 PM

Milk? For grown-ups? Is the idea to make them sick enough not to be able to ride the next race?
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

finnster01

Quote from: sipwell on May 08, 2012, 02:38:24 PM
Quote from: finnster01 on May 08, 2012, 02:32:52 PM

Milk? For grown-ups? Is the idea to make them sick enough not to be able to ride the next race?

From Wiki:

Louis Meyer requested a glass of buttermilk after winning his second Indy 500 race in 1933. After winning his third title in 1936, he requested another glass but instead received a bottle. He was captured by a photographer in the act of swigging from the bottle while holding up three fingers to signify the third win. A local dairy company executive recognized the marketing opportunity in the image and, being unaware Meyer was drinking buttermilk, offered a bottle of milk to the winners of future races. Milk has been presented each year since then apart from 1947 to 1955. Modern drivers are offered a choice of whole, 2%, and skim.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead