more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Those of you who slated martin jol

Started by wadey, May 06, 2012, 09:40:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SG

Quote from: Jambo on May 06, 2012, 11:03:26 PM
Really surprised by some of the comments on this thread.  Since Christmas we have been outstanding and have played the best football I have ever seen us play, scoring more goals than ever and even looking like getting rid of our poor away form.  Weather we manage to keep Demps and Dembele I would suggest is out of his control by for me after a start that had to be expected as players get used to yet another change we have been great to watch.  Definitely finishing at least 9th and a possible record points total.... not sure what else the remaining doubters want or expect.

Agree entirely. There was some lovely play out there yesterday and it could perhaps should have been a cricket score but for Mignolet. Whether we keep D & D is really out of his control as the negotiations are completed by Alistair Mac.
We have improved progressively through the season as his ideas and tactics have taken hold and this is despite playing 50+ games and the associated tiredness and injuries that arise from this. There clearly is no pleasing some people.

Me-ate-Live, innit??

Quote from: ImperialWhite on May 06, 2012, 10:23:24 PM
Quote from: epsomraver on May 06, 2012, 10:00:28 PM
still not impressed, we play very boring backward passing football at times, but yes today in front of my very eyes at the cottage we actually broke out of defence and went right down the other end without one backwards pass.

There's a club in Staffordshire I think you might like mate! (Stoke I think they're called)

:dft009:

Smiley  face aside............Imperial White,  your reply is more peasant than  pleasant
and there is nothing imperial  about it. 
the question is :   what do you think of Jol  Now ??
and you tell a poster who has supported  FULHAM  Boy and man,  to Support Stoke

Oakeshott

I was critical of Jol before Christmas and I remain as critical now.

Yes, we have seen some excellent play - mixed in between lots of rubbish. Yes, his signing of Pog. paid immediate dividends and in a matter of three or four games removed any concern about relegation. But the three players on whom we seem to have spent (for us) a lot of money - Ruiz, Gekov and Kasami - have been very disappointing. Obviously none of them should be written off quite yet, but I'd have expected to see rather more of, and from, them.

I believe Jol is slow on the uptake. It took him a long time to realise that, despite Senderos's qualities, our best centre back combination by a mile remains Hughes and Brede, and he seems very slow to react during a game when tactical changes are needed. I think his man management stinks - he lost us the best centre forward we have had for years, a very much better all round player than Pog. I deplore his tendency to criticise players publicly, and despite some evidence to the contrary I suspect that overall morale within the camp is not good: this may yet cost is Danny and Demps.

Unfortunately from my perspective Jol is almost certain to be our manager come August. I can only hope that my concern that Danny will leave because of him proves unwarranted and that we start next season in a way that convinces me that I am wrong about Jol generally, ie we see an obviously comfortable-in-themselves team playing more often as well as they have sometimes this season, and a manager who keeps his criticisms within the changing room. If we do, then Jol will have won me round. If not, I shall continue to look forward to our next manager.

In the meantime, at least we can take comfort in the fact that the national team is in safe and dignified hands, and there is no worry about waking up to press headlines about the manager having an affair with a member of staff or being charged with criminal offences.

TonyGilroy

Slow on the uptake?

Throughout the season there's been steady improvement. The football played yesterday was breathtaking lacking only a cutting edge.

25 points from the last 13 matches, a third of a season, is Champions League form and that run included two very poor performances.

Fitness levels have improved dramatically as is clear from Diarra and Riise in particular.

Whatever the problem was with Zamora, Jol sorted it ruthlessly and effectively.

Tactics change as lessons are learned and pairing Diarra and Murphy is inspired as is the change of role for Dembele.

Jol clearly experiments and takes risks but he learns quickly from those that don't work out.

I do not understand how anyone can fail to be impressed.

sipwell

Quote from: TonyGilroy on May 07, 2012, 08:47:33 AM
Slow on the uptake?

Throughout the season there's been steady improvement. The football played yesterday was breathtaking lacking only a cutting edge.

25 points from the last 13 matches, a third of a season, is Champions League form and that run included two very poor performances.

Fitness levels have improved dramatically as is clear from Diarra and Riise in particular.

Tactics change as lessons are learned and pairing Diarra and Murphy is inspired as is the change of role for Dembele.

Jol clearly experiments and takes risks but he learns quickly from those that don't work out.

I think this sums it up very nicely and I fully agree with it. I also fail to see why Gecov, Kasami and Ruiz have been disappointments. Apart from Ruiz, who had some difficulties to settle in (but contributed nonetheless), the other two are youngsters training with the best of Fulham at the moment. They'll be ready when Jol needs them. 
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

White Noise

The interview with Jol is worth watching. I particularly like the fact the man is far from happy and insists 'we will improve' -

Martin Jol reacts to Sunderland win

RidgeRider

Slow on the uptake?

Tony, I found myself all too often completely agreeing with your every word, and this time is no different. Perhaps I will continue to just reply to your posts and type 'I agree' rather than write something myself since it would be amatuer compared to your observations.

Oakeshott, you are a Fulham fan and thats all that matters but I struggle to see the 'Jol world' through your lenses.

ImperialWhite

Quote from: KCat on May 07, 2012, 08:20:26 AM
Quote from: ImperialWhite on May 06, 2012, 10:23:24 PM
still not impressed, we play very boring backward passing football at times, but yes today in front of my very eyes at the cottage we actually broke out of defence and went right down the other end without one backwards pass.

There's a club in Staffordshire I think you might like mate! (Stoke I think they're called)

:dft009:

Smiley  face aside............Imperial White,  your reply is more peasant than  pleasant
and there is nothing imperial  about it. 
the question is :   what do you think of Jol  Now ??
and you tell a poster who has supported  FULHAM  Boy and man,  to Support Stoke

I was joking, of course, because I find it incomprehensible that anyone could possibly find this Fulham side dull.

But then beautiful passing football isn't everyone's cup of tea I suppose.

leonffc

I don't think Admins biting Wadey :-)

SG

Quote from: RidgeRider on May 07, 2012, 09:58:17 AM
Slow on the uptake?

Tony, I found myself all too often completely agreeing with your every word, and this time is no different. Perhaps I will continue to just reply to your posts and type 'I agree' rather than write something myself since it would be amatuer compared to your observations.

Oakeshott, you are a Fulham fan and thats all that matters but I struggle to see the 'Jol world' through your lenses.

I entirely agree !!!

Rupert

Can I ask, what is the point of this thread?

Yes, those who had a go at Jol, claiming he was not good enough or whatever other objection they had, it all got a bit tiresome and repetative, and frankly I thought it made them look small minded and stupidly short-sighted as they were not giving the man a chance (personal opinion, gents, don't get upset by it), but at the end of the day they were expressing an opinion.
Do you want them to grovel in the dust as recompense because, as of May 7th 2012, it looks like they were wrong?

My attitude towards Jol has not changed. I was willing to give him until Christmas 2012 to see what sort of team he fashions, and until then he has my support, regardless of results and performances, good or bad. So far he has made a very encouraging start, but this summer is very important, and a lot of good work will either be reinforced or undone. Obviously I hope for the former and will be gutted if it turns sour.

The original poster really ought to beware, if Jol does fall flat on his face, those who were a little too bellicose in their condemnation of Jol will likely want a pound of flesh from you too. Would you be willing to grovel to them under those circumstances?
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

Fulham1959

Brilliant video, White Noise, especially for me who lives in . . . yes, Stoke-on-Trent.

Quote from: White Noise on May 07, 2012, 09:41:32 AM
The interview with Jol is worth watching. I particularly like the fact the man is far from happy and insists 'we will improve' -

Martin Jol reacts to Sunderland win

NogoodBoyo

Lovely video up above courtesy of the legendary Mr. Noise.  Looking at the emotion, Murphy and Dempsey looked as if they were struggling a bit - fond farewells perhaps. 
Lots more daughters than sons too.
Nogood "at goodbyes, isit" Boyo

LRCN

Quote from: Rupert on May 07, 2012, 11:43:01 AM
Can I ask, what is the point of this thread?

Yes, those who had a go at Jol, claiming he was not good enough or whatever other objection they had, it all got a bit tiresome and repetative, and frankly I thought it made them look small minded and stupidly short-sighted as they were not giving the man a chance (personal opinion, gents, don't get upset by it), but at the end of the day they were expressing an opinion.
Do you want them to grovel in the dust as recompense because, as of May 7th 2012, it looks like they were wrong?

My attitude towards Jol has not changed. I was willing to give him until Christmas 2012 to see what sort of team he fashions, and until then he has my support, regardless of results and performances, good or bad. So far he has made a very encouraging start, but this summer is very important, and a lot of good work will either be reinforced or undone. Obviously I hope for the former and will be gutted if it turns sour.

The original poster really ought to beware, if Jol does fall flat on his face, those who were a little too bellicose in their condemnation of Jol will likely want a pound of flesh from you too. Would you be willing to grovel to them under those circumstances?

this season has been a lesson in patience and not being rash, and goes to show that 'transition' is not a cliche but is very much truth.

AlFayedsChequebook

If at this point, you remain unconvinced about Jol, I give up.

Jack Fulham

for me, we only pass backwards when there is no decent pass forward is on. What is more frustrating, passing forward to the opposition or passing backwards to our own players?

sipwell

Quote from: Jack Fulham on May 07, 2012, 02:30:51 PM

for me, we only pass backwards when there is no decent pass forward is on. What is more frustrating, passing forward to the opposition or passing backwards to our own players?

I agree here. The only bit I dislike about the current Fulham is the free kicks/corners to a fellow player. There is barely a long ball in (to be headed) but always a short pass to a player standing close (or that free kick in the Sunderland game to Dempsey, the free kick in the Liverpool game to Duff). It is also what cost us the victory against Odense.
But I do find it logical that you try to build up your attack from defence onwards and that you quickly try to get the ball across to the other side of the pitch without risking a counter attack (because of a bad pass).

The King

To add to the set piece discussion, I find our corners extremely stupid. Murphy passes it short to Dembélé, who doesn't have the skill to cross it and therefore just dribbles around and eventually loses it.

sipwell

Quote from: The King on May 07, 2012, 02:37:32 PM
To add to the set piece discussion, I find our corners extremely stupid. Murphy passes it short to Dembélé, who doesn't have the skill to cross it and therefore just dribbles around and eventually loses it.

Yes. Every single time. I wonder why all the tall lads have to run all across the field if they know this will happen. Must be immensely annoying!

Burt

Happy with Jol, for the reasons I have repeatedly stated, particularly during October and November.

I appreciate that he isn't everyone's cup of tea, and that people are entitled to their own views.

Some of our ills from earlier this season (inconsistency, conceding late goals, poor away from home, etc) seem to be on the mend. Not there yet, but certainly a lot better than they were.

And there is no getting away from the fact that this has been one of our more successful seasons, we could yet end up with a club-record points haul, and he (and the players) deserve credit for that.