watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Those of you who slated martin jol

Started by wadey, May 06, 2012, 09:40:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jarv

I am not up to date on stats. re: corners but the reaosn short corners are taken, I believe, as follows:

Evryone is in the box, pushing, holding while waiting for ball to be pumped in....for the most part it is a lottery.

Take a few short, ball now in open play so opposing defenders have to quickly change shape and pressure player with ball. (Particularly if that player with the dribbling skills of Dembele). At the same time, defenders have to mark opponents off the ball.

The theory is, it is intended to create a little more open space. Does it work? Who knows? Apparently not in our case. :dft002:

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: jarv on May 07, 2012, 03:08:45 PM
I am not up to date on stats. re: corners but the reaosn short corners are taken, I believe, as follows:

Evryone is in the box, pushing, holding while waiting for ball to be pumped in....for the most part it is a lottery.

Take a few short, ball now in open play so opposing defenders have to quickly change shape and pressure player with ball. (Particularly if that player with the dribbling skills of Dembele). At the same time, defenders have to mark opponents off the ball.

The theory is, it is intended to create a little more open space. Does it work? Who knows? Apparently not in our case. :dft002:

As far as I am concerned, only the top teams can consistently use  short corners to any effect.

When we have Hangeland/Pog/Dempsey in the box, it is always worth putting the ball in the mixer.

cebu

Our league position at the end of the season tells the story, just as it did last season. The manager has done his job. Now let's see how it all pans out next season!

bigalffc

True I am a lot happier now some more results went our way. It did take him too long to restore the Thames barrier  our best centre back combination. Hughes and Hangers,  I think his man management skills are poor he criticises players publicly and censures them if they try to speak up. Word was morale within the camp was not good: If he can persuade Demps and Dembele to stay I might be convinced.
Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us we can learn to dance on a shifting carpet - Thomas Crum

MJG

Quote from: bigalffc on May 07, 2012, 07:19:13 PM
Word was morale within the camp was not good:
And we had that all first half of the season, but guess what, has anyone heard a dickie bird from the changing room sice Feb 1st? Wonder what happend after 6pm on 31st of Jan that has lead to a great run, a happy looking squad and no leaks from the dressing room?

wadey

Quote from: leonffc on May 07, 2012, 10:08:35 AM
I don't think Admins biting Wadey :-).......................................................................................leon..fair play to admin he fessed up in the pub yesterday........

epsomraver

Quote from: KCat on May 07, 2012, 08:20:26 AM
Quote from: ImperialWhite on May 06, 2012, 10:23:24 PM
Quote from: epsomraver on May 06, 2012, 10:00:28 PM
still not impressed, we play very boring backward passing football at times, but yes today in front of my very eyes at the cottage we actually broke out of defence and went right down the other end without one backwards pass.

There's a club in Staffordshire I think you might like mate! (Stoke I think they're called)

:dft009:

Smiley  face aside............Imperial White,  your reply is more peasant than  pleasant
and there is nothing imperial  about it.  
the question is :   what do you think of Jol  Now ??
and you tell a poster who has supported  FULHAM  Boy and man,  to Support Stoke

Thank you for your support K, I refrained from commenting, Ed's blood pressure is high enough already, listening to fans  at the cottage after the game I am not alone in my comments, we are all entitled to them, Jol has not convinced me he is right for Fulham yet.

Lighthouse

Things improved after we were knocked out of the Europa. We still show signs of playing at the back and inviting pressure. We are slow to go forward and it took too long to stop the inconsistancy during games. This has now improved. We are crying out for a forward and hope the transfer will bring one or two even if it looks as if we may lose a few of our top players.

Before the Europa exit I would have given Jol no more than 4 out of ten. Since then we are on the verge of our best ever finish. Although it still doesn't feel like it. But a 7 out of 10 for the season I think is fair. I have always said we can push on to the next level despite being told on here that we cannot. Strange that the same people tend to defend Jol in the poor parts of the season.

We are now an established Prem side. The next few years will be interesting for the club. But to bring us all along with him Jol will have to have the players to play within his system. Not have a system without the players to best utilise it.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

RidgeRider

Not really a big fan of the title of this thread. It is sort of divisive and is a sort of "stick your tongue out" at those who were down on Jol and clearly some still are. We had a slow start there is no doubt. We have played some amazing football and we seen some really poor football and had we had even one or two better matches during the season we would finish 7th and had we been consistent we would be knocking on the door of 5th.

I like the style of football we play under  Jol's tenure and regardless of whether he is a good guy, or he is right for Fulham or not, on our day we are terrific team to watch with some really good lads on the squad thanks to MAF, Hodgson, Allistair, Hughes and Jol.

I am very excited about next season and especially are youth system. It's looks so promising it makes me giddy with anticipation. These are the golden years!!!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?lxvznm

HatterDon

oh, and thanks for this thread. If there's a better way to celebrate a victory that featured two brilliant Fulham goals and put us above Liverpool than by working hard to open old wounds, I can't imagine what it might be.

I haven't gotten through all the threads that have been posted since Friday, but I'm sure I'll run into one bringing back the Senderos v. Hughes arguments and even possibly one that ressurects the Etuhu-Sidwell controversy.

"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Berserker

Don't think there has been one yet thank God ; )
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

jarv

I don't think it was intended to be "I told you so " thread. I was a Jol doubter but when I read the title I smiled to myself and put my hand up....thank goodness I was wrong.
Fulham, (now 11 years in the top division) I feel can be or now are, another Everton. Which is fine by me. Stay in the division, finish in the top half. Continuity is the key. A manager who knows his trade and sticks around. I think MJ is now that manager. Players who also stick around.
If we lose Demps., it is not the end of our top half aspirations.  Everton have suffered the same fate with their best players sold off. Fulham can do the same. Having said that, how do you replace a guy who scores 20+ goals?? Not easy.
Onward and upward scarf

leonffc

Quote from: RidgeRider on May 08, 2012, 01:32:55 AM
Not really a big fan of the title of this thread. It is sort of divisive and is a sort of "stick your tongue out" at those who were down on Jol and clearly some still are. We had a slow start there is no doubt. We have played some amazing football and we seen some really poor football and had we had even one or two better matches during the season we would finish 7th and had we been consistent we would be knocking on the door of 5th.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?lxvznm

I just took it as harmless banter to be honest.
I like some of Jols football but after Norwich away I was absolutely dumbfounded by the tactics (as were all the Norwich fans I spoke to). There have been games since too (Everton) but on the whole it's been ok lately.
So whilst not being anti Jol there are still frustrations at times but we're all fickle aren't we? I didn't take Wadeys title as a 'tongue sticking out' dig.

Ordar

The season overall has been very good. If we can beat Spurs (and cost them a CL place) and get our record ever PL points total then it will be a great end to the season.

We've had some horredous results, and some very good results. Didnt let Van Persie score against us (were we the only PL side?) doubled QPHA and Liverpool. Slaughted Wolves, QPHA and a very good Newcastle side.

Will be very exciting to see how we start next season after a full preseason behind us. Granted the Euro's are annoying. Will be interesting to see what we do about the Dembele/Dempsey situation. Al Fayed might well just take the hit on the transfer fees and have a real go next season.

Encouraging to see the two talented lads from Heerenveen coming to look around the club. Very much investing for the future. There seems to be a bit of disappointment over Jol's signings so far. His transfer record over his career has been brilliant. I fully expect Ruiz and Kasami to come good next season. Bryan was unlucky to get injured when he did, as it was all starting to come together for him. Riise, Diarra and Pog have all been fantastic signings. The quality of player that we're attracting is very impressive.

What can we do next season, who knows. Imagine if we'd signed Pappa Cisse last summer....!

The Equalizer

We're currently playing some of the best football that I've ever seen at the Cottage, and for that I can only say that Jol has ended up being a success.

However, I'm still disappointed at how inconsistent we can be.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

sipwell

Quote from: The Equalizer on May 08, 2012, 03:47:47 PM

Are we consistently inconsistent?

I like the current fast-paced Fulham football. A couple of games were not so good, but most were thoroughly enjoyable. What else should you expect from football? Martin Jol has had a great deal in this, so kudos to the man.
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: sipwell on May 08, 2012, 03:49:50 PM
Quote from: The Equalizer on May 08, 2012, 03:47:47 PM

Are we consistently inconsistent?

I like the current fast-paced Fulham football. A couple of games were not so good, but most were thoroughly enjoyable. What else should you expect from football? Martin Jol has had a great deal in this, so kudos to the man.

I'd agree with this.

Inconsistency is part and parcel of football.

As the season has gone on, we have been more and more consistent to the point where we are  2nd in the form table behind the probable champions. If that is not consistency, what is?

mrska

The second half of the season the improvement was clear to see..  i feel so confident watching Fulham under Jol now.   Im loving him!