watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Stockers not taken...

Started by LBNo11, May 16, 2012, 01:29:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HatterDon

Mr. Dixie, I've been making the same arguments about Stockdale for quite a while now. If he wasnt going to give Stockdale the opportunity to feature, he should have gone back to Ipswich Town so he could play. Keeping him at the Cottage and NOT playing him guaranteed he'd lose his ticket to EURO2012. With Schwarzer saying that he wants to play until after the 2014 World Cup, I don't see how we can keep Stockdale here.

I also keep pointing out that as good as he still is, Schwarzer isn't the keeper he was this time last year, and this time last year he wasn't the keeper he was in May of 2010.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

TonyGilroy

Quote from: HatterDon on May 16, 2012, 11:51:08 PM
I also keep pointing out that as good as he still is, Schwarzer isn't the keeper he was this time last year, and this time last year he wasn't the keeper he was in May of 2010.

A valid opinion of course but my opinion is that he is every bit as good as he has been. I see no evidence of decline.

AlFayedsChequebook

Mr. Dixie, I've been making the same arguments about Stockdale for quite a while now. If he wasnt going to give Stockdale the opportunity to feature, he should have gone back to Ipswich Town so he could play. Keeping him at the Cottage and NOT playing him guaranteed he'd lose his ticket to EURO2012. With Schwarzer saying that he wants to play until after the 2014 World Cup, I don't see how we can keep Stockdale here.

The problem for Stockdale was that he had to cover for Mark's injury which extended over the Loan deadline. He was playing for us and could not go out on loan before the loan deadline. His last game for us was on Feb 1st, one day after the loan deadline.

LRCN

carrick made himself unavailable. rodwell who someone mentioned earlier is injured and arteta is not english, lets not go down the same desperate road as the other home nations. no idea what downing's doing in there but you cant argue too much with it otherwise. jones will play ahead of johnson at right back.

also includes 2 uncapped players and 12 changes from the wc2010 squad. impossible for roy to make too many left field decisions when he's not even had a game with the team.

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on May 17, 2012, 11:43:53 AM

The problem for Stockdale was that he had to cover for Mark's injury which extended over the Loan deadline. He was playing for us and could not go out on loan before the loan deadline. His last game for us was on Feb 1st, one day after the loan deadline.

he could have gone out on an 'emergency' loan though surely

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: ~lork on May 17, 2012, 11:50:00 AM
carrick made himself unavailable. rodwell who someone mentioned earlier is injured and arteta is not english, lets not go down the same desperate road as the other home nations. no idea what downing's doing in there but you cant argue too much with it otherwise. jones will play ahead of johnson at right back.

also includes 2 uncapped players and 12 changes from the wc2010 squad. impossible for roy to make too many left field decisions when he's not even had a game with the team.

In order to go out on 'emergency loan' the club would have to have a goalkeeping emergency. Not sure any suitable Championship clubs did.

LRCN

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on May 17, 2012, 11:57:39 AM
Quote from: ~lork on May 17, 2012, 11:50:00 AM

In order to go out on 'emergency loan' the club would have to have a goalkeeping emergency. Not sure any suitable Championship clubs did.

nope fl clubs can loan players on up to 3 month deals for a couple of months after the transfer window shuts, like tyrone barnett. it's class as an 'emergency loan'

fifa have decided though that this contrevenes its rules (after 7 years of having it) so it wont be in place next season.

Burt

Ruddy has been getting the opportunities that Stockdale hasn't, and has had a decent season, so in that sense Roy has made a sensible decision.

HatterDon

Thanks for the clarification, AFC. I thought the "emergency" recall could have been temporary and that Stockdale could have resumed his season-long loan with Ipswich. I understand now.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

LRCN

Quote from: HatterDon on May 17, 2012, 01:26:33 PM

Thanks for the clarification, AFC. I thought the "emergency" recall could have been temporary and that Stockdale could have resumed his season-long loan with Ipswich. I understand now.

he could have, see above.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: ~lork on May 17, 2012, 01:29:20 PM

I thought 'emergency loan' for keepers was restricted though - you actually have to have a crisis, unlike in other positions.

The only other way to go out on loan after the deadline would be youth loan, which stockdale is obviously too old for.

LRCN

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on May 17, 2012, 01:54:04 PM
Quote from: ~lork on May 17, 2012, 01:29:20 PM

I thought 'emergency loan' for keepers was restricted though - you actually have to have a crisis, unlike in other positions.

The only other way to go out on loan after the deadline would be youth loan, which stockdale is obviously too old for.

maik taylor went out on loan to millwall in march and hull brought in about half a dozen loan keepers over the season so i dont think it is restricted for keepers.

cmg

Quote from: footballfactman on May 16, 2012, 10:57:41 PM
small rays of hope:

http://differentgame.wordpress.com/2012/05/16/why-svens-golden-generation-really-was-englands-golden-generation-2/

No idea who wrote the article referred to, but I presume it to be Sven Goran Eriksson's agent, you know, the one who keeps getting him fat contracts despite him having achieved less than Joey Barton's anger management counsellor.
He attempts to 'prove' that Sven was a more successul manager than Alf Ramsey because:

A) Eriksson qualified his teams for the finals of all the tournaments contested under his managemnt (WC 02, 06 and Euro 04 - all three quarter finals) wheras Ramsey qualified only 3 out of 6. Well yes, but in 1964, 68 and 72 it was necessary to make the LAST 4 in order to 'qualify for the finals'. In other words qualification in those three competitions was exactly the equivalent of reaching the semi-finals in 2004. In 1964 Ramsey was in charge for one game only (his first as manager) the loss to France that put England out. In 1968 they finished third and in 1972 were knocked out by Germany (1-3, 0-0) in a two-legged quarter final. England, of course, won the World Cup in 1966 and were eliminated in the quarters in 1970. The only real failure under Ramsey was the failure to qualify for the 1974, for which he was sacked. So to summarise: Eriksson was responsible for - WC last8, Euro last8, WC last8. Ramsey for: 1 game in a Euro nq, WC win, Euro 3rd, WC last8, Euro last8, WC nq.

B) He goes on, even more hilariously, to suggest that Eriksson's overall record in tournement finals - w7 d4 l2 (pen shoot outs are counted as draws, which is fair enough) is superior to Ramsey's - w8 d1 l3 (which should be w10 d2 l4 if 'last 8' Euro matches are counted)  because the six 1966 matches should be ignored because they were at home!

Next week - Why pygmies make the best Centers in the NBA.

sipwell

I will not make any friends here but I have not really rated Stockdale as a good goalkeeper. Sure, he had a couple of good games and good stops in the times he played for Fulham - he is, by all standards, not a bad goalkeeper, just not a good top notch goalkeeper - but I don't think he will have a stellar career at a Prem club.
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

TonyGilroy

Quote from: sipwell on May 17, 2012, 03:17:31 PM
I will not make any friends here but I have not really rated Stockdale as a good goalkeeper. Sure, he had a couple of good games and good stops in the times he played for Fulham - he is, by all standards, not a bad goalkeeper, just not a good top notch goalkeeper - but I don't think he will have a stellar career at a Prem club.

I'll say this very quietly but.................I agree.

LRCN

Quote from: TonyGilroy on May 17, 2012, 03:22:02 PM
Quote from: sipwell on May 17, 2012, 03:17:31 PM

I'll say this very quietly but.................I agree.

084.gif 084.gif 084.gif 084.gif 084.gif 084.gif

MJG

Well we will never really know if he would have been a good keeper for fulham because Mark is going to keep playing for at least the next two years and if I was Stockdale I will be looking for a new club.
He's had two real good runs in the team, done nothing really wrong and lost his place on both occasions.
We will be the market for another reserve keeper later this summer and he will not be as good as Stockdale is. I for one will be sorry to see a potentially good GK leave us. Marks skills will only decline with age while Stockers will improve.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: MJG on May 17, 2012, 03:34:45 PM
Well we will never really know if he would have been a good keeper for fulham because Mark is going to keep playing for at least the next two years and if I was Stockdale I will be looking for a new club.
He's had two real good runs in the team, done nothing really wrong and lost his place on both occasions.
We will be the market for another reserve keeper later this summer and he will not be as good as Stockdale is. I for one will be sorry to see a potentially good GK leave us. Marks skills will only decline with age while Stockers will improve.

He played really well last season in Mark's absence, but his spell this season was less promising.

The thing that sticks in my mind was the goal we conceded against West Brom - Stockdale's positioning was poor and Tchoyi's shot should not really have beaten him.

sipwell

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on May 17, 2012, 03:48:53 PM
Quote from: MJG on May 17, 2012, 03:34:45 PM

He played really well last season in Mark's absence, but his spell this season was less promising.

The thing that sticks in my mind was the goal we conceded against West Brom - Stockdale's positioning was poor and Tchoyi's shot should not really have beaten him.

Well, you can't blame a goalkeeper for every mistake he makes. I am just wondering why a home grown English goalkeeper, who is anxious to get chances to be goalie, is not bought or lent (for a long spell) to an English club, especially in the era of a necessary number of local players. A lot of Prem clubs have bought a foreign (and in a lot of cases young) goalkeeper and hence offered a slot for that position. Surely that must somehow mean that Stockdale is not rated by their spies? (I would agree with them)
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

fulhaman

Sadly for David I think Mark still got two years left in him. Maybe a whole year loan deal then make him number one and Mark number to the season after. Sadly Mark has been a great keeper at Fulham and still makes quality saves. I wonder If David will go to get into the England team

fulhaman

Though I hear he was amazing in his loan spell earlier on this season, Had a lot of saves to make I hear