watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

North South Divide

Started by White Noise, May 19, 2012, 10:03:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Have there ever been so many teams south of the centre of England in The Prem?

Travelling to away games has rarely been easier. Distances as the crow flies from Craven Cottage to each ground shown below in miles

Southern Softies

Arsenal - 7.3m
Spurs - 11.3m
The Dark Side - 1.3m
Fulham
Swansea - 160m
Norwich - 102m
Villa - 100m
QPR - 2.4m
Reading - 38m
Southampton - 74m
The Cheats -14.7m

Northern Monkeys

Man City - 162m
Man Utd - 163m
Newcastle - 249m
Everton - - 178m
Liverpool - 178m
West Brom - 103m
Sunderland - 242m
Stoke - 133m
Wigan - 176m

http://www.sportmapworld.com/map/soccer/england/fa-premier-league/

And The Championship is almost entirely Northern clubs now!

Alternative

So Villa are 'southern' and WBA are 'northern' ?

White Noise

Quote from: Alternative on May 20, 2012, 11:25:15 AM
So Villa are 'southern' and WBA are 'northern' ?

I'm afraid so! But I'm happy to argue the point with any amateur cartographers on here. :59:

finnster01

And I always thought Hadrians Wall was built just north of Watford.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: finnster01 on May 20, 2012, 02:15:03 PM
It sure as hell should have been, though we'll let the odd Northern monkey like Syd in  :015:

HatterDon

If I'm not mistaken we've been without a Yorkshire representative since Hull were relegated. Prior to that it was just Sheffield United.

I can't remember a time when there weren't at least two Yorkshire clubs in the top flight.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Berserker

I always thought North was Manchester and above, anything above Oxford was the Midlands
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

finnster01

Quote from: HatterDon on May 20, 2012, 03:11:14 PM
If I'm not mistaken we've been without a Yorkshire representative since Hull were relegated. Prior to that it was just Sheffield United.

I can't remember a time when there weren't at least two Yorkshire clubs in the top flight.

I'm surprised if there are two Yorkshire-men still living in Bradford.  :58:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Burt

Norwich may only be 102 miles away but it takes ages to get there...

Oiseau

My Dad calls any club that's North of the Cottage 'Northern.' His name for Spurs is 'that Northern club' (partly to wind up my Mum who grew up in the *proper* North.)

I'm not too keen about West Ham coming up and having yet another Premiership side in London. It could put London clubs at a bit of a disadvantage as derbies are always a challenge... I'd much rather have a day trip to Blackpool than an afternoon at Upton Park. The only good thing about Southern clubs is that it doesn't take as long for our supporters to travel up so we could get larger crowds at those matches. Villa and Reading are a really, really great distance whereas Sunderland is nightmare to get to.

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

just to redress the balance

When I was growing up in St Helens,my Dad told me this
anything south of Warrington Bank Quay train station is to regarded as "the South"
anything south of Birmingham is to be regarded as............................."France" :015: :015: 098.gif

Scrumpy

Interesting.

As Oiseau says, 6 London Clubs in the Premiership! I think the record is 7 from London, but I could be wrong. Wenger always said that it was tougher for Arsenal to win the league because of all the London derbies, and I think he had a point.
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

cebu

That's where Londoners feel it should be rebuilt, I think.   075.gif

LRCN

typical, as soon as i go to yorkshire for uni there are no teams to see fulham play at!

Two Ton Ted

Quote from: Scrumpy on May 20, 2012, 09:47:36 PM
Interesting.

As Oiseau says, 6 London Clubs in the Premiership! I think the record is 7 from London, but I could be wrong. Wenger always said that it was tougher for Arsenal to win the league because of all the London derbies, and I think he had a point.

He certainly does have a point. 12 London derbies to be played next season.
Never ever bloody anything ever.

Rupert

Quote from: ~lork on May 21, 2012, 07:29:33 AM

typical, as soon as i go to yorkshire for uni there are no teams to see fulham play at!

Hmm, any chance you can transfer to Manchester University, just to see if there is a pattern developing here?
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

Whitby Fulham

If you count boro as Yorkshire(see below) as the borders keep changing then the 03/04 season Leeds and Boro.
00/01 Leeds, Bradford and Boro.

Cleveland ( /ˈkliːvlənd/) is an area in the north east of England. Its name means literally "cliff-land", referring to its hilly southern areas, which rise to nearly 1,500 ft (460 m). Historically Cleveland, as a geographic area within the North Riding of Yorkshire, was located entirely to the south of the River Tees and its largest town was Guisborough, until the rise of Middlesbrough in the 19th century.
A non-metropolitan county of Cleveland was created in 1974 under the Local Government Act 1972, named after the historic region, but not covering it all, and also including land north of the River Tees that had until then been in County Durham. It was based around the Teesside urban area and included Middlesbrough, Stockton-on-Tees, Hartlepool and Redcar.
The county was abolished in 1996[3] with its boroughs becoming unitary authorities and the Tees re-established as the border between North Yorkshire and County Durham for ceremonial purposes only.

LRCN

Quote from: Rupert on May 21, 2012, 10:48:09 AM
Quote from: ~lork on May 21, 2012, 07:29:33 AM

Hmm, any chance you can transfer to Manchester University, just to see if there is a pattern developing here?

haha! well id consider transfering to stoke if the uni/town/everything wasnt so much worse than leeds

HatterDon

This is instructive. I'm wondering exactly where the line is drawn, above which a player is a Dirty Northern Bastard.

I'm also declaring a permanent dispensation for St. Helens in honor of our own Northern Monkey.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Rupert

Quote from: HatterDon on May 22, 2012, 03:09:41 AM
This is instructive. I'm wondering exactly where the line is drawn, above which a player is a Dirty Northern Bastard.

I'm also declaring a permanent dispensation for St. Helens in honor of our own Northern Monkey.

Depending on the clumsiness/severity of the foul, I have heard "Dirty Northern Bastard" aimed at players from teams only a little to the north of London.
Well, if the cap fits...
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.