more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Who do you support?

Started by finnster01, May 24, 2012, 08:21:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FatFreddysCat

HatterDon

The team that I follow after the USA is England. Having said that, since I know that England will never win the Euro's and the USA will never win the World Cup, these matches are more for enjoyment.

The team that I live and die with, the team that consumes me is Fulham. I've never understood supporters who put country over club. I know that players don't.

"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

vagrant

I have a problem.....   Wife is Norwegian.........

And a very loose form of blackmail is taking place. !!!!!!!!!

ImperialWhite

Quote from: HatterDon on May 25, 2012, 06:10:40 PM
The team that I live and die with, the team that consumes me is Fulham. I've never understood supporters who put country over club. I know that players don't.

I can understand disagreeing with people who put country over club, but not understand?

In my opinion the World Cup is still the biggest achievement in football, so I'd personally rather watch England lift the Jules Rimet over anything else in football*.

You know that players don't? I'm curious, which players are you close to that you've spoken to about this? Sorry - that was needlessly sarcastic - but what on Earth leads you to believe that players care more about club football than international football? Of players who have succeeded in both domestic and international football (well, English ones I've read the biographies of and a few French players in interviews) they imply that their international success was their finest achievement.

What I love about international football over club football is that non-football fans can enjoy it too. I know that English success in Poland and Ukraine (or any other tournament in my lifetime) would bring more happiness to people I care about than a Fulham trophy win, so I'd rather that. Bask in the collective happiness.

*I know it's not the Jules Rimet any more!  

HatterDon

Quote from: ImperialWhite on May 25, 2012, 07:51:07 PM

I can understand disagreeing with people who put country over club, but not understand?

In my opinion the World Cup is still the biggest achievement in football, so I'd personally rather watch England lift the Jules Rimet over anything else in football*.

You know that players don't? I'm curious, which players are you close to that you've spoken to about this? Sorry - that was needlessly sarcastic - but what on Earth leads you to believe that players care more about club football than international football? Of players who have succeeded in both domestic and international football (well, English ones I've read the biographies of and a few French players in interviews) they imply that their international success was their finest achievement.

What I love about international football over club football is that non-football fans can enjoy it too. I know that English success in Poland and Ukraine (or any other tournament in my lifetime) would bring more happiness to people I care about than a Fulham trophy win, so I'd rather that. Bask in the collective happiness.

*I know it's not the Jules Rimet any more!  

Well, I could ask you the names of the players you know who have told you that England is more important than their club, but that would be silly.

I'm sorry, but Fulham winning the FA Cup could only be topped in football for me by Fulham winning The Europa League. Perhaps it is because, like most Englishmen, I am fully aware that my country will never win the World Cup.

Chesh

The team that I follow after the USA is England. Having said that, since I know that England will never win the Euro's and the USA will never win the World Cup, these matches are more for enjoyment.

But the original question wasn't about England OR Fulham - although even that is not the foregone conclusion that you suggest
It was about England v another country just because they've got a couple of current Fulham players in it! Now that is just wrong imo. BH could be playing for Chelsea next season, but I'll always be English - and I'll always support FFC,and the two can never be mutually exclusive.
Made in Hammersmith (1968)

RidgeRider

Quote from: sipwell on May 25, 2012, 12:09:18 PM
England... as I want Belgium to be the first nation to beat them under Hodgson.

:59:

RidgeRider

With Roy at the helm, I will be rooting for England with a close eye on the Fulham players during the match. I hope the Fulham players shine but ultimately I want Roy to win for many reasons.

TheDaddy

Quote from: vagrant on May 25, 2012, 07:28:37 PM
I have a problem.....   Wife is Norwegian.........

And a very loose form of blackmail is taking place. !!!!!!!!!
Is it see through ?   :58:
England all the time been a while since i've really been interested and thats only down to Roy .
"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "

Discodancer

Australia :)

Socceroos win 3-1 against England   064.gif

February 14 2003

CorkedHat

Supposing we went to war with a country and a couple of Fulham players were called up by their country to fight us, would we suddenly become partisans for our enemy? I know Quisling was a Norwegian but I bet they're not cheering for England because most of their players play here.
Rarely have I read such garbage. English till I die and proud of it 000en.gif 000en.gif 000en.gif 000en.gif
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

HatterDon

Quote from: Chesh on May 26, 2012, 12:19:59 AM

But the original question wasn't about England OR Fulham - although even that is not the foregone conclusion that you suggest
It was about England v another country just because they've got a couple of current Fulham players in it! Now that is just wrong imo. BH could be playing for Chelsea next season, but I'll always be English - and I'll always support FFC,and the two can never be mutually exclusive.

No, but it devolved into a club v. country discussion, and I said I couldn't understand why some would value ANY team more than Fulham

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: CorkedHat on May 26, 2012, 03:23:08 AM
Supposing we went to war with a country and a couple of Fulham players were called up by their country to fight us, would we suddenly become partisans for our enemy? I know Quisling was a Norwegian but I bet they're not cheering for England because most of their players play here.
Rarely have I read such garbage. English till I die and proud of it 000en.gif 000en.gif 000en.gif 000en.gif

But we are not going to war with Norway, we are playing football against them which is much more important  :hook: . I just dont get the whole wanting a team with T*rry, Lampard , cashley Cole and the pikey Rooney to beat a team containg Fulham players thing. To be honest i have absolutely no interest in England, when i have enough money and my kids are both working i shall depart for warmer climes as soon as possible, the place has gone to crap and i cant wait to get out.  For me it's not a club v country thing, i'm just Fulham  :028:  I'd honestly want Fulham to get 3 points at home to Wigan more than England winning the World Cup. PS I hate all those hypocrites who always run the country down then hang out massive flags when England are in a big tournoment  , loads like my mum  fp.gif  have never ever been to a game in their lives.

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: HatterDon on May 26, 2012, 05:43:45 AM

No, but it devolved into a club v. country discussion, and I said I couldn't understand why some would value ANY team more than Fulham
Quote from: HatterDon on May 26, 2012, 05:43:45 AM

Too right HD  :54:

finnster01

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on May 26, 2012, 12:12:22 PM

But we are not going to war with Norway, we are playing football against them which is much more important  :hook: . I just dont get the whole wanting a team with T*rry, Lampard , cashley Cole and the pikey Rooney to beat a team containg Fulham players thing. To be honest i have absolutely no interest in England, when i have enough money and my kids are both working i shall depart for warmer climes as soon as possible, the place has gone to sh1t and i cant wait to get out.  For me it's not a club v country thing, i'm just Fulham  :028:  I'd honestly want Fulham to get 3 points at home to Wigan more than England winning the World Cup. PS I hate all those hypocrites who always run the country down then hang out massive flags when England are in a big tournoment  , loads like my mum  fp.gif  have never ever been to a game in their lives.

Can relate to that Mr Freddy, I got my arse out in time courtesy of Gordon Brown after struggling mighty unnecessarily and closing my London office. US actually appreciate small businesses and give you a shot to make it work no matter who you are and where you come from. I appreciate that.

England with John Terry prancing around talking about "English pride" is hard for me to shout for. What has he ever done to make you proud? Shag his team mate's girlfriend and racially abuse a fellow player. A lot to be proud of that is. 

However, in today's match between a CSKA Chelsea free team and Norway I will actually shout for England despite two Fulham players on the opposite half. Not so sure I would do that if the blue tossers were in the team to be honest.

There was a time I would support England no matter what, and in all sports. Unfortunately I don't feel like that anymore.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

CorkedHat

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on May 26, 2012, 12:12:22 PM

But we are not going to war with Norway, we are playing football against them which is much more important  :hook: . I just dont get the whole wanting a team with T*rry, Lampard , cashley Cole and the pikey Rooney to beat a team containg Fulham players thing. To be honest i have absolutely no interest in England, when i have enough money and my kids are both working i shall depart for warmer climes as soon as possible, the place has gone to sh1t and i cant wait to get out.  For me it's not a club v country thing, i'm just Fulham  :028:  I'd honestly want Fulham to get 3 points at home to Wigan more than England winning the World Cup. PS I hate all those hypocrites who always run the country down then hang out massive flags when England are in a big tournoment  , loads like my mum  fp.gif  have never ever been to a game in their lives.

We nearly went to war with Iceland so if Norway don't stop slaughtering whales and fishing in British waters, don't rule it out  :005:
But seriously Fred, I find that very sad. Maybe it is the lack of national pride that has propelled us into this situation where we believe that most other countries are better than ours - the truth is that they ain't
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

cmg

Pogrebnyak has made the Russia Euro squad.

In this link http://www.rt.com/sport/football/russia-euro2012-squad-advocaat-nababkin-arshavin-football-271/
listed as Fulham

in this one: http://sports.ndtv.com/football/news/item/190705-euro-2012-russia-name-final-squad
as Stuttgart.

'spose I'll have to await further developments before seeing if my old CCCP shirt still fits.

finnster01

I can't believe it is 32 years since England last beat Norway... (according to the Independent which is normally reliable)

Still the best punt on oddschecker is only 5:4 England win at the moment. Norway is 13:5. Draw 12:5, maybe that is the best punt in my book
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

ImperialWhite

Quote from: HatterDon on May 25, 2012, 10:56:11 PM
1. Well, I could ask you the names of the players you know who have told you that England is more important than their club, but that would be silly.

2. I'm sorry, but Fulham winning the FA Cup could only be topped in football for me by Fulham winning The Europa League. Perhaps it is because, like most Englishmen, I am fully aware that my country will never win the World Cup.

1. George Cohen! (not personally, obviously!) Any of the 1966 side, really.

2. The USA or England could easily win the World Cup in my lifetime!

2.1. It's a knockout tournament, even poor sides win occasionally (Greece and Denmark in the European Championships, France in 1998 weren't all that spectacular).
2.2. Besides, England has a big following, money - there's no guarantee that we will squander these resources forever. We might become a          good side again eventually. The USA could easily build up a huge fanbase in my lifetime and you certainly have the money.

Maybe we think different (well, we obviously do). But I'd rather enjoy the happiness of (nearly) an entire nation any day. Even after the Ashes win in 2005 there was something in the air that made everyone feel good - I imagine after a World Cup win it would be like that times a million.

International football is for everyone - and collective enjoyment is what got me into football in the first place.

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: ImperialWhite on May 26, 2012, 06:16:02 PM
Quote from: HatterDon on May 25, 2012, 10:56:11 PM
1. Well, I could ask you the names of the players you know who have told you that England is more important than their club, but that would be silly.

2. I'm sorry, but Fulham winning the FA Cup could only be topped in football for me by Fulham winning The Europa League. Perhaps it is because, like most Englishmen, I am fully aware that my country will never win the World Cup.

1. George Cohen! (not personally, obviously!) Any of the 1966 side, really.

2. The USA or England could easily win the World Cup in my lifetime!

2.1. It's a knockout tournament, even poor sides win occasionally (Greece and Denmark in the European Championships, France in 1998 weren't all that spectacular).
2.2. Besides, England has a big following, money - there's no guarantee that we will squander these resources forever. We might become a          good side again eventually. The USA could easily build up a huge fanbase in my lifetime and you certainly have the money.

Maybe we think different (well, we obviously do). But I'd rather enjoy the happiness of (nearly) an entire nation any day. Even after the Ashes win in 2005 there was something in the air that made everyone feel good - I imagine after a World Cup win it would be like that times a million.

International football is for everyone - and collective enjoyment is what got me into football in the first place.
The Ashes really??? half the people i know didn't even know it was being played and i dont know a single person that celebrated it. Come on it's a game v OZ who have a lot less population and you dont even have to qualify for it. Plus the big girls blouses call it a draw if it rains. Seriously it's raining ??? musn't get a touch of the sniffles must we?