Jordan Rhodes Can Go For £8m

Started by White Noise, May 25, 2012, 10:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Fulham, Everton and Villa told: Rhodes can go, but only for £8m

By John Edwards

PUBLISHED: 22:30, 25 May 2012 | UPDATED: 22:30, 25 May 2012

Flying high: Rhodes is expected to join a Premier League team

Bosses at Huddersfield have backed up their defiant stance over 40-goal striker Jordan Rhodes' future by slapping an £8million price tag on him.

Manager Simon Grayson dismissed suggestions £3.5m would be enough to take Rhodes to Fulham, after Saturday's League One play-off final against Sheffield United, and claimed it would not even buy his right boot.

West Ham failed with an initial £4m bid, and an improved one of £6m, in the January transfer window, and Huddersfield are determined to stand firm over a marksman whose 40th goal of the campaign set up a semi-final win over MK Dons earlier this month.

How they line up Huddersfield Town (4-4-2): Bennett; Hunt, Morrison, Clarke, Woods; Arfield, Miller, Johnson, Ward; Rhodes, Novak.
Sheffield United (4-4-2): Simonsen; Lowton, Maguire, Collins, Hill; Williamson, McDonald, Doyle, Quinn; Porter, Cresswell.

Referee: Roger East.

Reacting to reports that Fulham were favourites to sign Rhodes for £3.5m, ahead of Everton, Aston Villa, Norwich and Reading, Grayson said: 'We may have to consider acceptable offers, but £3.5m doesn't come close. It might be the right figure for someone who has scored 10-15 goals, but not 40. It wouldn't be enough to buy Jordan's right boot, let alone all of him.'

Should Rhodes help Huddersfield into the Championship, he will be offered the biggest contract in their history, though club insiders still expect him to leave.

Sheffield United manager Danny Wilson summed up the main threat to his side by saying: 'We did very well against Jordan at their place and kept him off the scoresheet. He had one chance that he dragged wide. You don't expect him to do that twice, so we are going to have to keep a careful eye on him and limit the service to him as much as possible.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2150107/Fulham-Everton-Aston-Villa-told-Jordan-Rhodes-8m.html#ixzz1vv9jluLq

HatterDon

Nice bluster, but wait until mid-August when he hasn't been bought and Huddersfield start wondering where else they're going to get 5 million quid.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Mr Fulham

Quote from: HatterDon on May 25, 2012, 11:05:39 PM
Nice bluster, but wait until mid-August when he hasn't been bought and Huddersfield start wondering where else they're going to get 5 million quid.

Indeed. It's all paper talk.

As I said, football is about phrases. This article is nothing but hot air.

EJL

If they were to stick with that price (I know they won't), we should just go in for someone like Hooper.

MasterHaynes

We can pay £4m for a young player who just made his debut in the dutch national side or £8m for a Div one player who has a good season. I know which one I would buy

Maidstone Al

Looks nowhere near an £8m player so far in the play off , very ordinary to say the least .

elgreenio

Looks crap so far, done f all

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk
touch my camera through the fence

MasterHaynes

Completely underwhelmed by Huddersfield and Rhodes. Either their tactics are off or Rhodes has very little movement off the ball, just seems to sit on their centrehalf.

SKSW6

£8m? Grayson is deluded. Spurs got VDV for that much.

NorthernWhite

I know someone at Sheffield United and we've been spending a lot of time scouting their young CB Harry Maguire and were making enquiries about him last summer. Apparently he's a very level headed lad and local to Sheffield and would prefer to be playing week in week out. Sensible decision at that age.

He's very comfortable on the ball and very calm at the back.

FatFreddysCat

Have a funny feeling he'll miss a pen if as seems likely it goes to them.... It is pens.

MasterHaynes

On that performance Trotta is worth twice that amount and he hasn't played a league match yet(can't count a couple of minutes as sub) Rhodes seems devoid of ideas on how to create space for himself or others, maybe overawed by the occassion but in Grayson's words '£3m you must be joking', or do we get the whole team for that

cmg

Quote from: MasterHaynes on May 26, 2012, 05:37:19 PM
On that performance Trotta is worth twice that amount and he hasn't played a league match yet(can't count a couple of minutes as sub) Rhodes seems devoid of ideas on how to create space for himself or others, maybe overawed by the occassion but in Grayson's words '£3m you must be joking', or do we get the whole team for that

Agree 100% (and I'm not a totally convinced Trotta fan.)

Maidstone Al

At least he takes a decent penalty !

fulhamben

Quote from: Maidstone Al on May 26, 2012, 05:49:24 PM
yes but why does a striker who has scored 40 goals and is apparantly worth 8 million not take one of the first 5 penalties. sounds like a bottle job to me. dont even waste your time here jol much better strikers out there. on another note this is the first time town have cme back up since we clinched promotion and relegated them in the same game.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

SKSW6

They have less need to sell now, so it may well bump his price up somewhere near that £8m.

Next.

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: fulhamben on May 26, 2012, 05:52:55 PM
Quote from: Maidstone Al on May 26, 2012, 05:49:24 PM
yes but why does a striker who has scored 40 goals and is apparantly worth 8 million not take one of the first 5 penalties. sounds like a bottle job to me. dont even waste your time here jol much better strikers out there. on another note this is the first time town have cme back up since we clinched promotion and relegated them in the same game.
I thought it very strange he bottled out, that alone has made me feel we should leave well alone.

mrska

8 million is too much for a player not tested in the Premiership...  at 3.5m  it would of been worth the risk..

White Noise

Lee Clayton‏@LeeClayton_

Pleased for Huddersfield, but does it vindicate chairman sacking Lee Clarke? That's his team going up.

HatterDon

Quote from: White Noise on May 26, 2012, 06:08:08 PM
Lee Clayton‏@LeeClayton_

Pleased for Huddersfield, but does it vindicate chairman sacking Lee Clarke? That's his team going up.

Well, they were 1 point below automatic promotion when they fired Clark and were 1 point from missing the playoffs altogether when the season ended. Would they have faded so badly if Clark had stayed at the helm? We don't know, of course, but when's the last time a manager got fired while his team was in 3rd place -- especially a team that had gone so long without being defeated?
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel