News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Is Dempsey holding out for the impossible dream?

Started by General, May 26, 2012, 11:30:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

General

Look, let's be honest here - whilst many of us would find it hard to say bye to the guy, noone would begrudge him the move, he's improved a lot at this club and has been the provider of a lot of unforgettable memories for us.

But is all this talk of him moving on a bit in the skies?!

Yes he's a great player, but he's matured into this last season and if we're being honest, one season doesn't make a player, he's a midfielder which makes his goal tally the more impressive but on the downside he's 29.

Has he missed the boat?

There are only four clubs in England that he can get Champions League football, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd and Man City - none of whom have got in touch with the club in any of the seasons leading up to this summer.

So why would they go for him? Well he scores goals, but is he really proven he can be consistent enough for the weaker squads out of those 4?

Chelsea seem to be going through a supposed rejuvenation, whilst Jol has said he wont be selling Dempsey, so expect only a big offer to prize him away, then you have Arsenal, probably his best fit but would he be guarenteed a good amount of games? People criticise Arsenals midfield but Arteta and Song are finding their feet whilst in Podolski and Van Persie they arguably have enough goals in them in the coming season, whilst their real weakness is in defence, not something we'd class as one of his strengths.

then you have City - let's be honest, that's a non-starter.

United could be a good bet, but is Ferguson to wily to actually go for a 29 yr old who's only played one season at a good enough level for a top club, especially when he can buy or appeal to most players not only in europe but in the world?

This has all come about due to the reaction I've been noticing from "The Dempsey Camp", Dempsey reitering his desire to play champions league but loving Fulham, along with his brother retweeting it and Klinsmann getting in on the action/slaps a bit of desperation not passion.

Now if there's anything I've really noticed about life is that the key to it is passion - and definitely not half arsed passion. The reiteration that Dempsey keeps saying it's not Fulham he wants to leave but Champions League football he wants to play shows that he's actually comfortable with what he's got at Fulham and although he wants Champions League I feel that his hearts not completely set on it as he's comfortable, he's respected, well supported and thriving.

Champions League football can only be four games a season even for the top teams in England and he's stated that he doesn't want to leave Fulham for something that uncertain.

Question is - Does dempsey REALLY want it, and do top clubs REALLY need Fulham?!

Also, with the signing of Diarra and hopefully everything else that goes with our transfer dealings at Fulham could he perhaps realise his dream playing for Fulham in the Champions League before he retires from the game? That would be quite some legacy, quite some story if he stayed here and got Champions League football with us. It's not too much of an ambitious plan either - 4 points off 7th this season despite only actually turning up for half of it proves that.

Bassey the warrior

There's a trend amongst the fans to underrate our players. For me Dempsey is definitely good enough for a top 4 side. He would start for Arsenal if Wenger was willing to play older players.

Aldo

I think that Arsenal is the only one of the CL teams for whom he would get games. He would be a bit part player for any of the other three and as we know, he needs regular games to be at his best!

Only other option would be abroad as he would do well in Germany or italy!

sipwell

I think Dempsey will go abroad, to a French or Italian team playing Champion's League football. PSG can afford him and his wages. I think the French league would be well suited for his skills. And before you say anything about: aah, but the French... Have a look at how Olympique Marseille and Lyon have been faring in the competition in the last couple of years...
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

The Rock

Yes, I thought it was a given that he'd have to go abroad to get European football (Arsenal is the only team that would work for him here). No matter how good he is, it just matters if a club wants him besides us. As of now I don't think anyone is in for him - not at least to pay the transfer fee + wages. He's done well getting himself front and center in the store front window.

Logicalman

hint from an arse supporter mate is that they are lining up a possible bid. As Rock mentioned, they are likely the only one of the top four he would get regular game with. Not too certain going abroad is always the best option here, seems that US players do better in England than anywhere else overall.

RidgeRider

Quote from: The Moose on May 26, 2012, 11:34:02 AM
There's a trend amongst the fans to underrate our players. For me Dempsey is definitely good enough for a top 4 side. He would start for Arsenal if Wenger was willing to play older players.

I think Arteta was playing regularly when not injured and they grabbed him at 29 I think. So there is precedence.

Burt

I actually think he is not "slam dunk" champions league club material, and that his natural home is to clubs like us where he will get a guaranteed start and have a loyal following. If he went to one of the top 4 he will not get that.

It's a difficult balancing act - having the desire to prove yourself and regretting it if you passed up on the chance, v. giving it a shot and perhaps things not quite working out as you wanted.

Mr Dempsey - the grass isn't always greener, as many a Fulham star have found when moving on to supposedly bigger and better things.

(Cut n paste of my post from the other Dempsey thread)

ImperialWhite

Clint Dempsey is really really really good!

Why does everyone assume he'll warm a bench if he goes?

Aldo

Quote from: ImperialWhite on May 26, 2012, 06:18:16 PM
Clint Dempsey is really really really good!

Why does everyone assume he'll warm a bench if he goes?

Because he will be competing against other really really really good players! This is not a reflection on Clint. we all know how good he is, but he is not the only quality player out there!

psand22

I don't think it's an impossible dream, but he'll have to make some tough decisions.  He's played well the last few seasons, and I think he's got the talent to play at that level...but the top teams haven't come for him (you keep hearing Arsenal but no offers yet).  I think his only option will be outside of England, to put the Champions league on his resume.

Discodancer

Don't think he will attract to much interest from the bigger clubs here in England.. Would be a bench player at these clubs and i dont think he would like that one bit