more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (29/05/12)...

Started by WhiteJC, May 29, 2012, 04:36:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Without RVP, there's nothing between Arsenal and Fulham

Arsenal's captain, Robin Van Persie, has yet to decide whether to renew his Arsenal contract after a scintillating 30 goal Premier League campaign helped lift the Gunners into third spot.

Here, we take a look at six Arsenal victories - and 18 points - that would have slipped away from the Gunners without their match winning talisman.

Excluding various other occasions last year, when van Persie scored telling winners and equalisers, the Dutchman almost single-handedly swung these six results in Arsenal's favour and, without him, they would have ended 2011/12 on 52 points, level with Liverpool and Fulham in 8th and 9th...

October 16 2011 - Arsenal 2-1 Sunderland
Hovering two points above the drop zone after seven league outings, Arsenal had won just twice and were in desperate need of inspiration to halt their worst run in Premier League history. A stunning Sebastian Larsson free-kick had levelled proceedings at 1-1 following van Persie's strike on 26 seconds. But it was the Gunners' captain who enjoyed the last laugh, firing home a free-kick of his own with eight minutes remaining. "Robin van Persie is a special player and he's shown that again today," boasted Arsene Wenger. There was a lot more to come.

October 23 2011 - Arsenal 3-1 Stoke
Arsenal's mini revival against Sunderland led to an impressive 1-0 Champions League victory in Marseille, followed by a tough physical examination posed by the Premier League visit of Stoke. They were forced to start without their captain, van Persie, who'd struggled to regain full fitness and, unsurprisingly, Arsenal failed to impose themselves in his absence. Peter Crouch cancelled out Gervinho's opener on 34 minutes but it wasn't until van Persie's introduction on 66 minutes that Wenger's boys began posing any genuine attacking threat. Six minutes later, van Persie converted Gervinho's cross to edge Arsenal ahead and captain fantastic diverted a shot past Asmir Begovic to put the game beyond Stoke minutes after his first. Arsenal jumped into 7th spot.

October 29 2011 - Chelsea 3-5 Arsenal
A sensational display from Arsenal at Stamford Bridge has been credited as the biggest turning point in their season. In fact, Theo Walcott later told talkSPORT this incredible victory felt like winning the league because they've recorded victories in just four of their opening nine fixtures beforehand. The Gunners were twelve points off the pace after nine games, any dreams of a Premier League title bid up in flames well before Man City and Man United had moved into second gear. Another defeat to Chelsea could have sent the Gunners spiraling closer to the bottom half, but van Persie equalised on 35 minutes to make it 1-1. On 85 minutes, he popped up once more as Arsenal took the lead for the first time at 4-3 and, van Persie completed a superb hat-trick at the death, adding some gloss to the scoreline. Not for the first time, or the last, a Premier League defence had been embarrassed by the Dutchman.

December 10 2011 - Arsenal 1-0 Everton
For 70 minutes, an Arsenal team who'd lost four of their opening 14 Premier League fixtures struggled to break down Everton's resilient back line. It was the kind of scrappy fixture crying out for a moment of brilliance to swing it one way or the other - so step forward, Robin van Persie. Alex Song lifted a weighted diagonal pass some 25 yards to meet Persie's superbly timed angled run, catching Phil Jagielka off guard. Then, some 15 yards from Tim Howard, to the American's right, van Persie unleashed an unstoppable left-foot volley that crashed in past Howard off the inside of his post. A goal of the season contender that moved Arsenal above Chelsea into fourth, three points behind Spurs.

February 26 2012 - Arsenal 5-2 Spurs
Among an enthralling season's most captivating fixtures, the North London derby began dreadfully for Arsenal, who found themselves ten points behind Spurs with just 12 left to play. Spurs raced into a two goal lead after 34 minutes, seemingly ending Arsenal's Champions League aspirations altogether. Six minutes later, though, Bacary Sagna headed Arsenal's first and, two minutes before half-time, van Persie swung a delicately curled long range effort past Brad Friedel. The goal ensured it was all square at half-time, deflated a Spurs side who'd been in total control and allowed Arsenal to run riot in the second period. The gap closed to seven points.

March 3 2012 - Liverpool 1-2 Arsenal
A dominant Liverpool side lacking any cutting edge were undone by two van Persie strikes against the run of play, the winner on 90 minutes courtesy of a wonderful finish from an acute angle. It was the kind of smash and grab victory normally associated with teams who play against Arsenal, yet it was this uncharacteristically dogged display that kept the Gunners four points behind Spurs in the chase for Champions League qualification - ultimately providing the springboard for Wenger's side to overtake their North London rivals, who lost to Man United a day later.

http://www.talksport.co.uk/magazine/features/120528/without-rvp-theres-nothing-between-arsenal-and-fulham-173109?

WhiteJC

Top Man Clint!

Our congratulations go to Clint Dempsey for being chosen for the Football Supporters Federation team of the season.

Clint, who scored seventeen goals in the Premier League last season and also having six assists to his name joins a star studded eleven that includes:-

Hart (Manchester City)
Sagna (Arsenal)
Lescott (Manchester City)
Coloccini (Newcastle)
Baines (Everton)
Silva (Manchester City)
Sigurdsson (Swansea)
Sessegnon (Sunderland)
Aguero (Manchester City)
Dempsey (Fulham)
Van Persie (Arsenal)

As you can see from the other ten names, Clint really is in good company!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=283365#ixzz1wE61qGdv

WhiteJC

Tactical analysis: Fulham 1-0 Liverpool: Why Liverpool lost?
In a game littered with controversial refereeing decisions, Fulham managed to eke out a slender 1-0 win over Liverpool, after making the most of Spearing's sending off on 72nd minute. It was difficult to comprehend, especially after three successive professional performances as the likes of Chelsea and Manchester City were played off the park.

Starting teams for both sides

Much of the build-up to the game centred around how the loss of Lucas Leiva to injury will be tackled by Dalglish's management, especially considering he has been the League's top tackler up till this point. He used a direct replacement in Spearing, who was at the base of a midfield trio, and sat slightly forward were Adam and Henderson – both of whom had responsibitilies both in attack and defence.

Bellamy had a primary position on the right wing, attacking down Riise's flank, while Suarez and Carroll weren't tied down to any particular spot; they had their shackles off them and were able to drop back or move wide as and when they deemed it fit.

For Fulham, their play centred around Murphy, who crafts the beginning of most of their attacks, while the likes of Dempsey and Ruiz continually were allowed to roam inwards from the flanks. When not in possession, Dembele, who starts behind Zamora, continously drops back to hassle and break up Liverpool's attacks.

Dembele's key role

Dembele's contribution for Fulham was all-round and he was all over the pitch – he recorded a total of 11 tackles, 7 won and 6 lost. While his main role was just off the target striker in Bobby Zamora, he did succeed with intelligent movement around the pitch, constantly dropping back. To a certain extent, he did offer adequate protection against Bellamy, covering for Dempsey who cut inwards to provide a further threat for Fulham's attack.

Highlighting Dembele's contribution

The above chalkboard represents the tackles he made for Fulham. As highlighted by the black box above, a fair share of his tackles came from Fulham's left, with 4 tackles being made in Fulham's own half. It is obvious that Martin Jol had identified that Bellamy was an obvious threat who had the ability to wreck havoc, especially when allowed time to run on the ball. But with Dempsey having a more primary role as an attacker, Dembele was employed to do the graft, covering for Dempsey in the back-tracking department.

Naturally, this allowed Dempsey to cut inwards without much worry as to whether Fulham could cope should Liverpool start counter-attacking, especially down his channel.

Space created between Liverpool's midfield and defence

With Liverpool starting with a three-man central midfield, one might have thought the Reds were well-stocked in that department. Instead, the use of Dembele was crucial in exploiting this 'strength'. Since Dembele had the constant opportunity to drop deep into midfield, the likes of Adam and Henderson were naturally drawn towards him. Both Liverpool midfielders recorded little on-the-ball movements especially in a key area which Fulham attacked – central and just outside the penalty box.

Passing heatmap for Henderson and Adam

As seen in the passing heatmaps from the chalkboards above, both players had very little involvement in passing the ball from that red zone. Inevitably, their overall contribution especially in shielding the back four suffers.

As a result, Spearing had to contend with a "double-team" effort from Ruiz and Dempsey, who were coming inwards. Both of Fulham's wide midfielders attacked the acres of space that was left between Liverpool's midfield and defence. Naturally, it was too much to cope for Spearing, so Dempsey was allowed many shots on target especially outside the penalty area.

Dempsey's shots v Liverpool

Conclusion

The above two reasons are most possibly why Liverpool found the going tough against Fulham, who attacked intelligently. The problem was compounded severely when Spearing, who was anchoring the midfield, was sent off. The gaping hole in midfield wasn't plugged, and so gleefully for Fulham, there was more space to be exploited between Liverpool's midfield and defence.

It could have been ideal to bring on a centre defender, or someone in the mould of Kelly to actually cover up that fragile area which could have been the difference between a draw and a defeat. However, the game was settled by a blunder by Reina, some bizarre refereeing decisions which did swing the balance in Fulham's favour. But whether or not Liverpool could have won should those mistakes be eradicated, remains a question mark.

http://thespionkop.wordpress.com/2011/12/07/tactical-analysis-fulham-1-0-liverpool/?

WhiteJC

The U.S. national team is up next for Fulham's Clint Dempsey but more could be on the way

PAUL ELLIS/AFP/GETTY IMAGES -  Over the course of nearly six seasons with London-based Fulham, Clint Dempsey has achieved superstar status. Elite clubs in the Premier League have reportedly targeted him for acquisition.

When this wearing stretch of soccer ends in two weeks, a long English season followed by U.S. national team duty, Clint Dempsey is going fishing.

He'll head to the lake house in central North Carolina and join his wife, two kids, parents and siblings for lazy afternoons casting for bluegills and bass.

It's a way of replicating childhood adventures camping at Powell Park on Lake Sam Rayburn in east Texas. And it's a way to thank his father and mother, whose sacrifice during lean times in Nacogdoches helped launch one of the most successful careers in U.S. soccer history.

"I'm not typical of what you think a footballer would do after the season, especially in Europe where they go to the exotic locations," Dempsey said. "You travel so much, that's the last thing I want to do. It's just about relaxing with the family — relax, man, and chill."

What else would you expect from a guy who, in his Twitter photo, is shirtless and posing with a big fish stretched across his face?

Dempsey's summer solitude won't last long, though. A storm is brewing on distant shores, where, over the course of 51 / 2 seasons with London-based Fulham, he has achieved superstar status. Elite clubs in the Premier League have reportedly targeted him for acquisition.

The end of the regular season this month ushered in the "silly season," when rumors of player movement trump royal family gossip in the British tabloids.

Arsenal? Liverpool? Another country?

"I'd be flattered if it were all true," said Dempsey, who is trying to shake off a groin strain before the U.S. friendly against Brazil on Wednesday night at FedEx Field. "You can't believe all the speculation."

What you can believe is this: Dempsey wants, someday soon, to play for a club competing in the Champions League, Europe's ultimate club competition featuring the titans of the Premier League, Spain's La Liga, Germany's Bundesliga and Italy's Serie A, among others.

He is entering the final season of a Fulham contract that pays him $3 million annually. Fulham gained promotion to the Premier League 11 years ago and is reliably competitive, but the chances of the Cottagers ever qualifying for the Champions League with a top-four finish are distant.

"I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to play Champions League and push myself to the highest level possible," the midfielder-forward said. "I'm not saying Fulham won't ever get there, but I'm 29 years old now and I only have a certain number of years left to play at the highest level. Hopefully, that is in the cards."

Fulham's best card might be to sell him for a handsome transfer fee this summer before he is free to leave next year.

For Dempsey to further his career and, in turn, bolster the American program, U.S. Coach Juergen Klinsmann would like to see him move.

"With all respect to Fulham, as he often mentions, you want to play in the biggest club competition in the world, and that's the European Champions League," Klinsmann said. "Hopefully something will happen over the next couple weeks."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/dcunited/the-us-national-team-is-up-next-for-fulhams-clint-dempsey-but-more-could-be-on-the-way/2012/05/28/gJQA7L5NxU_story.html?

Blingo

All the pictures charts and baloney, and there was silly blingo thinking it was because we scored and they didn't.

zzamora

Quote from: Blingo on May 29, 2012, 06:40:12 AM

All the pictures charts and baloney, and there was silly blingo thinking it was because we scored and they didn't.

It explains why we scored.No need to be so cynical.

General

I love the fact that somehow we brought Zamora back in for the game!

HatterDon

Quote from: General on May 29, 2012, 08:49:24 AM

Not to mention that "Dembele recorded 11 tackles, 7 won and 6 lost" is what President George HW Bush used to call "fuzzy math."

And "why Liverpool lost" is not a question, and needs no question mark.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Blingo

Quote from: ddeuce on May 29, 2012, 07:17:19 AM

It explains why we scored.No need to be so cynical.

Who asked you to pipe up lol.

Blingo

Quote from: HatterDon on May 29, 2012, 11:46:03 AM

Not to mention that "Dembele recorded 11 tackles, 7 won and 6 lost" is what President George HW Bush used to call "fuzzy math."

And before you correct me look at the title of the article I copied and pasted from.

HatterDon

Quote from: Blingo on May 29, 2012, 11:55:13 AM
Quote from: HatterDon on May 29, 2012, 11:46:03 AM

And before you correct me look at the title of the article I copied and pasted from.

I wasn't correcting you -- like the comment about fuzzy math, I was correcting the article itself. As a matter of fact, I wasn't tagging on to anything you typed -- just the General's comment about Zamora.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

WhiteJC

Lewington Stale-Mate!

We`re one game into Roy Hodgson`s England managerial career, an away victory in Oslo, but still the situation regarding compensation for Ray Lewington has yet to be settled.

Trying to clarify the situation, with Fulham apparently demanding a £1 million fee, the Club England managing director Adrian Bevington has remarked to the tabloid press,

"We are delighted to have Ray for the tournament. He has worked with Roy extensively and is an experienced coach."

"He is a Fulham employee so Ray Lewington is with us for the tournament and that is all I can say."

I`d love to know what Ray thinks of the situation though!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=283391#ixzz1wGeCW8Rw

WhiteJC

Hangeland`s Views!

With Roy Hodgson, despite his Fulham connections, ignoring the English contingent for his Euro 2012 squad, we were left to cast an eye over our two Norwegian representatives.

Both Brede Hangeland and John Arne Riise were in the Norwegian defence and, apart from the early strike from Ashley Young, they coped well with an England side that at best looked ponderous and at worse clueless.

After the friendly fixture was over, Brede Hangeland gave his view on the England side, remarking,

"It`s a good England team, but they look a little worn after a long Premier League season."

"I felt the same. It`s not a good preparation for the Euros to play such a long and tough season. Even though it was a friendly you could see the English players needed a break."

So, has the competitive nature and longevity of the Premier League season already put the kybosh on England`s chances of Euro 2012 glory?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=283392#ixzz1wGeNzLiT

WhiteJC

Nacer Chadli open to Fulham move this summer

Long term Fulham target Nacer Chadli has been quoted in the Dutch press to be open to a move to the Premier League. He's stated in today's press in Holland as saying "I want a new challenge and the Premier League is the most attractive.
By the end of June I want out and I hope to play at Wembley on Saturday, that would be great. Not to put myself in the spotlight because those that want me have scouted me enough."

"Fulham? That's a nice club. Look at how Moussa Dembele has developed there the last 2 years? This has been a good step for him as now Manchester United and Chelsea are interested in him. If I can make the same steps as Moussa, I will do that."

As the above are direct quotes then it does sound like a come and get me plea to Fulham. I think now weve been seen to bring and develop youngsters, it will make it easier to entice exciting new talent to join.

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2012/5/29/3049408/nacer-chadli-open-to-fulham-move-this-summer?

WhiteJC

International winger issues 'come and get me' plea to Fulham

Fulham transfer news: Belgian winger Nacer Chadli wants to sign for the club

FC Twente winger Nacer Chadli has issued a 'come and get me' plea to Martin Jol and Fulham.

The 22-year-old has revealed that he wants a move to the Premier League and follow in the footsteps of Whites star Mousa Dembele.

"I want a new challenge and the Premier League is the most attractive," he said.

By the end of June I want out and I hope to play at Wembley on Saturday, that would be great.

"Not to put myself in the spotlight because those that want me have scouted me enough.

"Fulham? That's a nice club.

"Look at how Mousa Dembele has developed there the last 2 years?

"This has been a good step for him as now Manchester United and Chelsea are interested in him. If I can make the same steps as Mousa, I will do that."

Chadli is going to be in London when he represents national side Belgium against England at Wembley.

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/international_winger_issues_come_and_get_me_plea_to_fulham_1_1391584?

WhiteJC

Dembele backing Hazard
Belgian ace behind countryman

Moussa Dembele has few qualms about Eden Hazard's impending move to the Premier League.

The Belgian starlet confirmed on Monday evening that he had agreed to move to Chelsea from Lille, shunning Manchester outfits City and United.

Hazard has never played outside of France and will cost Chelsea £36million - but Demble, who plays just down the King's Road with Fulham, fully expects him to be a huge success.

"It's a good choice from Eden," said Dembele.
"He has the quality to succeed in every competition in Europe but the English competition is the best in the world so it will be good for his development.

"Eden is quite small, but in the last couple of years more small players have arrived in the Premier League like Silva, Mata and before that Modric - and Hazard can certainly be like them.

"I think he will need a little time to adapt but it won't take long.''

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7784511/?

WhiteJC

Summer Action

Fulham Academy graduate and First Team squad member Neil Etheridge will add to his impressive tally of international caps for the Philippines this summer as he continues his return to action after suffering a wrist injury during the second half of the 2011/12 campaign.

Etheridge recovered from injury in time to play for Fulham's Development Squad at the end of last season and the goalkeeper is hoping international competition this summer will see him return for pre-season in peak physical condition.

"The injury has been alright – I thought I'd be out for the rest of the season so to make a comeback a few weeks early was good," Etheridge told fulhamfc.com.

"Obviously the season has come to an end now but I've got some internationals in the summer so I'm just looking forward to playing in those to be honest.

"I'm going back to the Philippines at the end of May for the internationals. There are two full internationals – Malaysia away and Indonesia at home – and then we've got an under-23s game against China so hopefully I'll get to play in all three or at least two of them."

Few goalkeepers in their early twenties can match the number international caps that Etheridge has amassed over the past few seasons and whilst football clearly comes second best to basketball, Etheridge believes the game is going from strength to strength in the Philippines.

"I think, last time I counted, I'm on 36 caps now," said Etheridge. "I'm 22 years old so I'll hopefully reach 100 by the time I finish my career!

"It's a different sort of world when I go over there because it's still a basketball dominated country to be honest, with football coming second best.

"But at the same time, football is progressing and they're starting to build up the league there so it's good for me because I can go over there and take a few training sessions and things like that.

"It is different compared to what it's like here [in England] for me but I think it's pretty much the same for a lot of the international lads when they go back home."

Making his First Team appearance for Fulham last December was a bittersweet experience for the former Academy graduate. Etheridge performed admirably on his debut but the result against Odense BK at Craven Cottage, a two-all draw, saw Fulham exit the UEFA Europa League.

"Making my debut in December was obviously a disappointing result but at the same time it was good on a personal level," Etheridge explained. "The fans were great when I played against Odense but even when I was on the bench they were great and you could see the great atmosphere that they create.

"Obviously to make my debut in front of the fans at home was unbelievable so hopefully in years to come, or next season or whenever it is, I'll grab the opportunity to play in front of them again.

"It was a bit of a rollercoaster ride [last season] with obviously a high for the start of the season when I was involved with the First Team and being on the bench for the majority of games which was good.

"Then Mark [Schwarzer] got injured and I went away on internationals and broke my wrist – that was the downside to my season.

"I'm looking forward to getting back, playing international football in the summer so I can just hit the ground running when I return to Fulham after the summer break for pre-season."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2012/May/EtheridgeInterview.aspx?#ixzz1wGfiLGvs

WhiteJC

Chadli keen on Fulham switch

Twente winger Nacer Chadli says he is ready for a new challenge in the Premier League and that Fulham would be a 'nice club' for him.

The Fulham target, 22, is currently on duty with his national team and is quoted quoted in today's Het Laatste Niews, a Belgian newspaper, saying that he would be open to a move to the Premier League.

"I want a new challenge and the Premier League is the most attractive. By the end of June I want out and I hope to play at Wembley on Saturday, that would be great," he said.

"Not to put myself in the spotlight because those that want me have scouted me enough."

Chadli was said to be "99 per cent sure" of leaving Twente when his agent Daniel Evrad spoke out in April and Fulham were the strongly linked to the Belgian player at the time. Chadli is keen on a switch to Craven Cottage, having seen fellow Belgian winger Moussa Dembele develop into a top class player since he arrived from AZ in 2010.

"Fulham? That's a nice club," he said. "Look at how Moussa Dembele has developed there the last 2 years? This has been a good step for him as now Manchester United and Chelsea are interested in him.

"If I can make the same steps as Moussa, I will do that."

http://www.setanta.com/ie/Articles/2012/05/29/Chadli-keen-on-Fulham-switch/gnid-143577/?

WhiteJC

Marsh-Brown Agrees Yeovil Town Contract

Yeovil Town have signed up former Oldham Athletic and Fulham winger Keanu Marsh-Brown on a contract for next season. The 19 year old has joined as a free agent after being released by the Latics at the end of the 2011-12 season.

Born in Hammersmith on August 10th 1992, he is a former Arsenal and Fulham Academy player, who spent two years at Craven Cottage as a professional, albeit without making a first team appearance.

During recent years, Fulham have been putting him out on loan, with him making 19 appearances for Milton Keynes Dons and scoring two goals at the tail end of the 2010-11 season. Then came a rather truncated loan spell with Dundee United at the start of the 2011-12 season that was intended to last half a season, but instead saw him return early after just one substitute appearance.

Fulham released him from his contract a few months later, in November 2011, and he joined League One side Oldham Athletic at the tail end of the January 2012 transfer window. Marsh-Brown went on to make five starts and seven substitute appearances for the Latics - he was not included in their squad for the March 2012 game against the Glovers, as he was suspended following a sending off that led to a five match suspension, and to our knowledge has not made an appearance against Yeovil Town.

Marsh-Brown has agreed a one year contract for the 2012-13 season, commencing July 1st.

http://www.ciderspace.co.uk/ASP/news/news.asp?NewsItemId=17336