Main Menu

West Ham Enquire Whether David Stockdale Can Come Out To Play

Started by White Noise, May 30, 2012, 11:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Jaaskelainen set for West Ham after snubbing new Bolton deal

By Sportsmail Reporter

PUBLISHED: 22:40, 30 May 2012 | UPDATED: 22:40, 30 May 2012

Goalkeeper Jussi Jaaskelainen has ended his 15-year stay at Bolton after turning down a new deal.

Jaaskelainen is set to join West Ham, who have also made enquiries about Fulham's highly-rated goalkeeper David Stockdale, 26.

On the move: Jaaskelainen has ended his 15-year stay with Bolton

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2152370/Jussi-Jaaskelainen-set-West-Ham-snubbing-Bolton-deal.html#ixzz1wOSXryBG

Bassey the warrior

They'll be met with a swift 'p**s off'. Jaaskelainen is better than Green. Very underrated for me.

White Noise

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4347566/West-Ham-target-David-Stockdale-to-replace-Rob-Green.html

Sam takes Stock

Last Updated: 31st May 2012

WEST HAM have targeted Fulham's David Stockdale to replace Robert Green.

Contract talks with England keeper Green have broken down over his wage demands, thought to be £50,000 a week.

So West Ham boss Sam Allardyce will turn to £5million-rated Stockdale should Green quit Upton Park.

Stockdale, 26, is growing increasingly frustrated at being unable to dislodge Cottagers No 1 Mark Schwarzer.

And Fulham would listen to offers for a keeper who has been called up to the England squad already, for the Euro 2012 qualifier against Switzerland.

AlFayedsChequebook

They can have him on loan next season with a recall option.

Then we can see how good he is with a season in the prem under his belt.

TonyGilroy

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on May 31, 2012, 09:16:53 AM

Apparently recalls aren't allowed when the loan is to and from a Premier league club. Stockdale was due to go to Swansea last summer and that's why he went to Ipswich instead.

MJG

If true that will please those who dont rate Stockdale.

Rupert

Quote from: TonyGilroy on May 31, 2012, 09:19:35 AM
Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on May 31, 2012, 09:16:53 AM

Apparently recalls aren't allowed when the loan is to and from a Premier league club. Stockdale was due to go to Swansea last summer and that's why he went to Ipswich instead.

So send him to them on loan for the season with no recall option. That will give us a very good idea if he is ready for the top keeper's spot. The only likely problem here is that Mark has said he wants to carry on to the next World Cup, so won't be happy to relinquish top spot until at least the season after. Barring a serious injury to either of them we do have a problem here keeping both of them satisfied, albeit a nice problem.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

TonyGilroy

It is a nice problem but inevitably we can't keep both Stockdale and Schwarzer happy.

We were fortunate to be able to recall Stockdale when Mark was injured but on his return I think it was clear that Schwarzer is the better keeper.

We may well end up sending Stockdale out on a years loan with no recall but we'd need a decent back up keeper who could step in for Schwarzer if needed.

If I were Jol I'd be sticking with Schwarzer because there really are no better keepers around. If it weren't for his age I don't think anyone would doubt that he's better than Stockdale. It's Mark's decline that we fear.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: TonyGilroy on May 31, 2012, 11:07:20 AM

It is a nice problem but inevitably we can't keep both Stockdale and Schwarzer happy.

We were fortunate to be able to recall Stockdale when Mark was injured but on his return I think it was clear that Schwarzer is the better keeper.

We may well end up sending Stockdale out on a years loan with no recall but we'd need a decent back up keeper who could step in for Schwarzer if needed.

If I were Jol I'd be sticking with Schwarzer because there really are no better keepers around. If it weren't for his age I don't think anyone would doubt that he's better than Stockdale. It's Mark's decline that we fear.

I am pretty sure that you can have a recall on a premier league loan.

The reason that Swansea did not take him was because they did not want a key position such a goalkeeper to be subject a  loan recall. Especially since Fulham were demanding that he would have to be the No.1

fulhamben

i dont think that it is clear that schwarzer is the better keeper. stocky is a better shot stopper, has a much better distribution and is young in keeper terms and will only get better. whereas schwarzer is better at croses but is getting much slower at getting down. plus by the second half he cant even kick the ball to the halfway line. he will decline rapidly very soon

CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

sipwell

Quote from: fulhamben on May 31, 2012, 01:04:49 PM
i dont think that it is clear that schwarzer is the better keeper. stocky is a better shot stopper, has a much better distribution and is young in keeper terms and will only get better. whereas schwarzer is better at croses but is getting much slower at getting down. plus by the second half he cant even kick the ball to the halfway line. he will decline rapidly very soon

I tend to recall a number of games where Schwarzer was an outstanding shot stopper too, thus to call Stockdale the better one is a bit over the top. His distribution is not the best, I agree with that.
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

TonyGilroy

Obviously it's a matter of opinion but Jol clearly thinks that Schwarzer is the better keeper. I also think it's telling that Hodgson didn't pick Stockdale for the Euros.

Mr_Moon

Mr Fulham

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on May 31, 2012, 11:10:16 AM

Nope, don't think so.

_____

By the way, I think we should be realistic with Schwarzer/Stockdale. If we keep Schwarzer and let Stockdale go, we will need to buy another top class goalkeeper sooner rather than later. With Stockdale, we've got a ready-made replacement on our hands - why let him go?

Future-wise, keeping Stockdale only makes sense. 5m are fine, but we'll have to fork out more if we want to replace Schwarzer in a few months/years.

sipwell

Quote from: Mr Fulham on May 31, 2012, 01:38:32 PM

Nope, don't think so.

_____

By the way, I think we should be realistic with Schwarzer/Stockdale. If we keep Schwarzer and let Stockdale go, we will need to buy another top class goalkeeper sooner rather than later. With Stockdale, we've got a ready-made replacement on our hands - why let him go?

Future-wise, keeping Stockdale only makes sense. 5m are fine, but we'll have to fork out more if we want to replace Schwarzer in a few months/years.

If I recall, Mignolet and Courtois were cheaper and they are - years younger - twice as good.
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

NorthernWhite

Quote from: Mr Fulham on May 31, 2012, 01:38:32 PM

Nope, don't think so.

_____

You can put a 24 hr recall clause into a loan agreement between PL clubs but, Swansea didn't want to do so. It actually worked out well for them as they signed Vorm who has been outstanding.

See below BBC article confirming that Stockdale wouldn't go on a season long loan to Swansea as they wouldn't agree to the recall clause:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/14272665

Mr Fulham

Yeah, ok. Theoretically, you can do so. Practically, it doesn't make sense.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: Mr Fulham on May 31, 2012, 01:54:46 PM

It depends how desperate the other team are!

Mr Fulham

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on May 31, 2012, 02:15:38 PM

Why would West Ham do that. They do have brains, that may be a surprise. :59:

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: Mr Fulham on May 31, 2012, 02:18:58 PM
Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on May 31, 2012, 02:15:38 PM

Why would West Ham do that. They do have brains, that may be a surprise. :59:

Brains is paying Kevin Nolan £60k a week in the Championship?

And having a wage bill higher than Newcastle, again is that sensible?