https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

If you could re-live one game?

Started by SP, June 04, 2012, 09:56:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CorkedHat

Quote from: sunburywhite on June 05, 2012, 08:31:35 AM
Northampton Town 2 - 4 Fulham 23rd April 1966

Was that the game Haynes put Stevie Earle away to run half the length of the pitch for our third (?) goal?

That's the one Mr SW. Northampton had a crowd of over 24,000 that day and at least one-third of them was a Fulham fan. Chelsea gor knocked out of the FA Cup on the same day. Oh what bliss!
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

rusty shackleford

Europa Final.

Even if we did lose, it was the biggest game in recent history (I know there were others, like Portsmouth, but this was a European final... once in a lifetime stuff)

sipwell

Quote from: rusty shackleford on June 05, 2012, 10:20:16 AM
Europa Final.

Even if we did lose, it was the biggest game in recent history (I know there were others, like Portsmouth, but this was a European final... once in a lifetime stuff)

Agreed. Also since it was my first game!
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

sunburywhite

I was there, I was there

I remember my Dad taking me, I must have been 11 at the time, probably too young to think about what relegation would have meant

Talking of going football with my Dad I must vote for the Europa Final as I took him to Hamburg, my proudest moment being able to pay back for all those games he took me to.
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

The Doctor

Quote from: tommy on June 05, 2012, 01:47:12 AM
I can't remember what year it was in the 90's but we where in league one (90's equivalent) and had a grat run in the FA Cup. We knocked out a couple prem teams (Liverpool and villa??) before eventually getting knocked out by man utd. Keegan was in charge and I remember at the time being in the stadium on a Wednesday night thinking big things are happening here. I'd love to go back to that.

Happy times indeed - 98/99.  Although we didn't beat Liverpool.  We lost to them 3-1 in the League Cup, although our one was a Peschisolido wonder goal.  I went mental when that went in.  My first away game and only trip to Anfield to date.

We did Southampton in both the League and FA Cups (replay at the Cottage in FA Cup with a late winner from Hayles).  Villa away (4th round) was a brilliant day.  They were top of the PL at the time and we steamrollered them.  They only had one effort on goal that I can recall - an Ian Taylor header that Maik Taylor managed to tip over the bar.  5th round at Old Trafford made me immensely proud.  More than matched them and had John Salako had any sort of composure we'd have dragged them to a replay.

My choice is from the same season...Luton away.  They missed an early penalty and we then proceeded to dismantle them.  Won 4-0.  Spent about 20 minutes after the final whistle singing "Cheer up Al Fayed" as the players came and gave a packed away end an ovation. Some great goals, but the one that sticks in my mind is Finnan racing up the right and squaring to Horsfield on the edge of the box who just lashed it in without even looking at the goal (number 3 I think).  Great night

Keefy

Surprised no-one has mentioned |Juventus at home. All suggestions have merit, and it goes to prove that we follow such a wonderful club ( not just a team)

sipwell

Quote from: Keefy on June 05, 2012, 11:04:18 AM
Surprised no-one has mentioned |Juventus at home. All suggestions have merit, and it goes to prove that we follow such a wonderful club ( not just a team)

You have Blingo on ignore then?  :011:

Quote from: Blingo on June 04, 2012, 11:38:22 PM
at home to juventus
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

ScalleysDad

I might have misread the title of the thread but if I could 'relive' a relatively recent game,(otherwise there would be hundreds for sheer disappointment and embarassment), I would have to go for Hull at home a couple of seasons ago. I had dragged my missus along, used up hundreds of brownie points and paid out for an overnighter so that we could take in a show next day. A shot on target would have been a bonus, defending properly for 94 minutes would have left me ecstatic.

The Rock

Quote from: Snibbo on June 05, 2012, 04:32:26 AM
Final match of the Great Escape, Portsmouth away.

That's the one. The only time I cried for Fulham. Tears of joy.

CorkedHat

Quote from: sunburywhite on June 05, 2012, 10:38:49 AM

I was there, I was there

I remember my Dad taking me, I must have been 11 at the time, probably too young to think about what relegation would have meant

Talking of going football with my Dad I must vote for the Europa Final as I took him to Hamburg, my proudest moment being able to pay back for all those games he took me to.

I was 25 when I saw the Northampton match but prior to that the best match I had ever seen, even though we lost it, was Fulham versus Newcastle in 1956. I was 15 years of age and it was a great year. I had been expelled from school, found a job in publishing and had my first bit of nookie - and if Hazel, you are reading this, you were magnificent unlike those bastards from Newcastle..

CorkedHat

Quote from: CorkedHat on June 05, 2012, 12:02:40 PM
Quote from: sunburywhite on June 05, 2012, 10:38:49 AM

I was there, I was there

I was 25 when I saw the Northampton match but prior to that the best match I had ever seen, even though we lost it, was Fulham versus Newcastle in 1956. I was 15 years of age and it was a great year. I had been expelled from school, found a job in publishing and had my first bit of nookie - and if Hazel, you are reading this, you were magnificent unlike those bastards from Newcastle..

I should add that following all that I went to live in Belgium where I discovered Stella Artois and Gitanes cigarettes. I also became a supporter of Mechelen KV but never lost my passion for Fulham. I did lose it, however, for Hazel and Yvette was more thsn a suitable replacement. 065.gif

Peabody

Ok, so I cant have Juve or Hamburg. So it will also have to be Fulham v Newcastle