watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Club owners 1 club tradition 0

Started by Mr_Moon, June 06, 2012, 11:27:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr_Moon

Absolutely disgraceful. The Malaysians are a bunch of liars who have sold Cardiff's soul down the river. Almost as disgraceful as a large percentage of Cardiff fans who welcomed it with open arms when they saw the £100m bribe.

SKSW6

It just seems so pointless too. Why red and not blue? Chelsea just won the CL and Citeh the league, both in blue, so it's not like you need to be red to be successful. And why do they need the Welsh overhaul? Are they expecting more Welsh people who don't have a team to start supporting Cardiff because of it? Is it really such a big market that they have to piss off the loyal fans who will probably still be their biggest source of revenue in terms of tickets and shirt sales?

I can just see a boycott of buying the home shirt.

sipwell

For a Johnny Foreigner like me, can you explain why you are wound up?
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

cottage cheese

more importantly.....why do you care? has nothing to do with us

finnster01

For 100 million pounds and being in the Championship I'd play naked if allowed
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

TonyGilroy

It seems a bizarre and unnecessary thing for the new owner to do. Why deliberately upset significant parts of the local support?

It wouldn't matter to me if MAF suddenly decided that FFC would wear polka dots and tartan but I would question his sanity, logic and business nous.

Vinnieffc

Do I take it Cardiff are switching to a red home shirt ? If so, would they be called the redbirds ?

Mr_Moon

Quote from: sipwell on June 06, 2012, 11:39:43 AM
For a Johnny Foreigner like me, can you explain why you are wound up?

Well the supporters trust were told that any kit change was in fact not negotiable and would commence regardless of whether the investment and debt agreements were installed. Fans also questioned where the money is actually coming from and whether they were using the club to pay off other debts.

Let's put this into a Fulham perspective (not talking about the badge change). Following a football club is about identity otherwise we'd all be wearing Barcelona or -perish the thought- a Chelsea shirt. Fulham play by the River. Fulham play in black and white. We have done in the Europa league. We have done when you were a nipper. We played in Black and White when your father was a nipper and when his father was a child too. Fulham are black and white, it's who we are. We are the whites. We play by the river.

Cardiff don't play in blue and white anymore. They aren't the bluebirds anymore. They don't play at Ninian anymore. They're now red because it 'appeals' to the Asian market and now the Dragons. They've sold their soul and identity for a few extra quid and the hope that they *might* reach the Premier League (nauseating).

Cottage cheese: My good mate is a Cardiff fan so I have a soft spot for them.

sipwell

Thanks for that long elaboration, TheDoctor. It is indeed troublesome that extra cash excludes tradition. Also, the Asian Market? As if they are going to flock (see what I did there) to Cardiff because the colour appeals to them.

MJG

I hate Cardiff and especially their fans, so really don't care if they are upset at all.

The Doctor

Quote from: sipwell on June 06, 2012, 12:08:44 PM
Thanks for that long elaboration, TheDoctor. 

Unearned gratitude...I love it  :dft012:

sipwell

Quote from: The Doctor on June 06, 2012, 12:15:54 PM
Quote from: sipwell on June 06, 2012, 12:08:44 PM
Thanks for that long elaboration, TheDoctor. 

Unearned gratitude...I love it  :dft012:

I meant Mr.Moon

Mr_Moon

I appreciate the mistaken identity/comparison.

Rupert

Quote from: finnster01 on June 06, 2012, 11:45:56 AM

I have this image in my head which could probably do with exorcising (no reflection on Finnister who is probably an adonis of manhood, more on my sordid imagination), can anyone post an antidote, please?
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

sipwell

Quote from: Rupert on June 06, 2012, 12:49:15 PM
Quote from: finnster01 on June 06, 2012, 11:45:56 AM

I have this image in my head which could probably do with exorcising (no reflection on Finnister who is probably an adonis of manhood, more on my sordid imagination), can anyone post an antidote, please?

Gender is not specified.

HatterDon

I have read that the reason for the change from blue to red is to stimulate kit sales in Asia. Red is considered a "lucky color" and the report I read said that Man U and Arsenal shirt sales far outnumber Chelsea and Man City in Asia because of this. They are also going to downplay the bluebird and big up the red dragon to serve the same purpose.

It's stupid, but they are the owners. I don't know if I'd call it a 100 million quid "bribe," but the guys who invest the dosh necessary to get Cardiff to the next level certainly have the right to their eccentricities. At least they haven't erected a statue of Gary Glitter and changed the club crest.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

The Doctor

Seems ridiculous to me to do this straight off.  Surely they'd be better served getting the club to the PL (i.e. compete on an even footing with the big clubs they're trying to emulate) and then thinking about the marketability in Asia?  They probably thought there's a bit of scope to get away with this seeing as they're changing to the Welsh national colour and adopting a national icon which happily coincide with those of Asian countries, but it still smacks of steamrollering tradition to me.

By the way, Mr Hatter, they're changing the badge as well.  To this (without the players, obviously!):

NogoodBoyo

Would the be "THE Doctor Moon"?
Nogood "doctoring the shirts and the backless trowsers, isit" boyo

EJL

Quote from: The Doctor on June 06, 2012, 02:16:32 PM
Seems ridiculous to me to do this straight off.  Surely they'd be better served getting the club to the PL (i.e. compete on an even footing with the big clubs they're trying to emulate) and then thinking about the marketability in Asia?  They probably thought there's a bit of scope to get away with this seeing as they're changing to the Welsh national colour and adopting a national icon which happily coincide with those of Asian countries, but it still smacks of steamrollering tradition to me.

By the way, Mr Hatter, they're changing the badge as well.  To this (without the players, obviously!):

''Fire and Passion'' Oh dear

The Doctor

Quote from: NogoodBoyo on June 06, 2012, 03:24:31 PM
Would the be "THE Doctor Moon"?
Nogood "doctoring the shirts and the backless trowsers, isit" boyo

Quite possibly.  Doctor Moon was actually a character in one of the recent series of Doctor Who.  My nerdery knows no limits.