watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

RIP Ray Bradbury

Started by finnster01, June 06, 2012, 08:22:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finnster01

I guess this is the year of artistic legends passing.

The joy I got out of reading Fahrenheit 451 is hard to quantify, but it was at a level of the decomposition of the glue holding the book together.

Thank you for writing that and keeping me sane when I needed to escape.

RIP Ray
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

WhiteJC

one of my favourite authors, The Martian Chronicles were my favourite "fall back" when I didn't have anything else to read RIP

nevzter

Wow, RIP indeed - loved the RAy Bradbury theater as a youf.  His writing was top notch - and I'm not a sci-fi guy by any means.
"To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable."

The Bronsons

I remember reading "Something Wicked this Way Comes" with a torch under the bedclothes when I was 12 or so. "Golden Apples of the Sun" was another favourite. Loved Ray Bradbury.

cebu

RIP Ray, you are already missed!

TonyGilroy

I read his books when I was a teenager and loved them.

95% of sci-fi is crap and 5% genius. Nothing in between. Bradbury was one of the great writers.

Of those currently alive and active and comparatively unknown I'd recommend Robert Charles Wilson. After you've read everything Philip K Dick wrote of course.

McBridefan1

Quote from: finnster01 on June 06, 2012, 08:22:15 PM
I guess this is the year of artistic legends passing.

The joy I got out of reading Fahrenheit 451 is hard to quantify, but it was at a level of the decomposition of the glue holding the book together.

Thank you for writing that and keeping me sane when I needed to escape.

RIP Ray

Definitely the year of passing legends... 9739.gif

Holders

There was an interesting tribute programme to him on the radio recently. Not only was he apparently a seriously nice bloke but there were some recommendations for his best reading, which I will take up, two of which were suggested above by Mr Bronson.

I read Fahrenheit 451 but it was far from his best in my opinion and the film version was awful. I rate the Martian Chronicles highly and a friend swears by the Silver Locusts, so plenty of holiday reading to catch up on.

How ironic that this should have been posted by the late great Finnster himself - all the more reason to catch up on some Ray Bradbury.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

LBNo11

...by way of a coincidence, on the day Ray Bradbury died I had finally found a way of downloading Fahrenheit451 onto my Kindle, which seems doubly ironic seeing the date and the book subject.

I missed this post first time around, thanks for the post Finn.. 9739.gif
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

FatFreddysCat

I dont usually reply to RIP threads if it aint Fulham related, but as it was by Finny i'll add a post. RIP Finny.