watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

[fof related] Thanks all

Started by sipwell, June 09, 2012, 10:19:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sipwell

Yesterday I defended my PhD dissertation in political science and got admitted to the public exam (which is more or less pro forma). That is, for all of you, not news that will change your world and rightly so.

I want however to thank all of the members of FoF (all of them!) for their valuable contribution to the last couple of months of extreme stress. FoF has kept me sane. If I wanted some distraction, I could come here and read insightful (and often very well written, so improving my English along the way) discussions about Fulham, the many petty/personal debates and the NFR articles about all things football.
You have no idea how important it is for a hermit to keep a lifeline to a world where doctoral dissertations do not matter. FoF, amongst other platforms, has given me that. It, in fact, became the only forum I checked (coming from a man who actually headed a non-Fulham forum and was drawn into the 'come on you whites' orbit by Airfix).

So, thanks to you all. You have done your Boy Scout duty for the day. Sit back and enjoy the Euros.

No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

Berserker

Well done Mr Sipwell. Good subject, my brother did that when he was taking his exams.
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Senior Supporter

Congratulations Mr Sipwell ..... or will it be Dr Sipwell in future?  :wine:

The Doctor

Many contragulations Dr Sipwell.  I was in exactly the same boat last year, so know the rigours of writing up and then defending a doctoral thesis.  Like you, I used this forum and others as a connection to reality (even going so far as to create this username as self-motivation...bet you all thought it was arrogance! :dft011:).

What brilliant timing as well.  Shame Belgium aren't at the Euros (gave England a good game last week I thought), but I hope you manage to enjoy the tournament anyway as part of your decompression!  Now, catch up with all those mates you've neglected over the last few months...

sipwell

Quote from: Senior Supporter on June 09, 2012, 10:30:10 AM
Congratulations Mr Sipwell ..... or will it be Dr Sipwell in future?  :wine:

It will be Dr. Sipwell in 3 weeks time. The law states that you need to defend your PhD in a public hearing.

Quote from: The Doctor on June 09, 2012, 10:34:03 AM
Many contragulations Dr Sipwell.  I was in exactly the same boat last year, so know the rigours of writing up and then defending a doctoral thesis.  Like you, I used this forum and others as a connection to reality (even going so far as to create this username as self-motivation...

Now, catch up with all those mates you've neglected over the last few months...

Thanks for that. It really helps, doesn't it?
As for my friends. I will have to see whether I have any left!

finnster01

Congrats to a top man, top poster and a top scholar  :wine: .
Very well done young man  take a bow. Time to become a professor and stock up on top tottie Belgian grad students  :dft012:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Burt

Well done Mr Sipwell sir.

I did the same degree at Nottingham Uni, but in the dark days before the Internet. I don't remember doing much work though, plenty of other distractions to hand!

LBNo11

...congratulations Doctor Sipwell, now take time out to relax for a while..!

:wine: 082.gif
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

MOR :

sipwell

Quote from: Burt on June 09, 2012, 11:39:38 AM
Well done Mr Sipwell sir.

I did the same degree at Nottingham Uni, but in the dark days before the Internet. I don't remember doing much work though, plenty of other distractions to hand!

I had to combine this with a teaching job. In Belgium universities, you either get a scholarship (full research) or you get a teaching position (research + teaching). The latter hardly ever finish this dissertation to get the title of Doctor. I am the first to succeed since ... 1985.

Quote from: finnster01 on June 09, 2012, 11:38:39 AM
Congrats to a top man, top poster and a top scholar  :wine: .
Very well done young man  take a bow. Time to become a professor and stock up on top tottie Belgian grad students  :dft012:

Unfortunately, Finn, the academic world works a bit like the bureaucracies of this world. I am, essentially, unemployed from September 1st onwards. Universities are very eager to get PhD students (they get a considerable financial stimulus if a student graduates) but could not care less about post-doctoral positions. Tenure is fully out of the question. What society does, essentially, is replace people like me - who have built up considerable expertise in an area, have proven to be able to do 4 years of research on a single topic (I can read and highlight the relevant bits in a 100 pages paper in an hour or two; I can write a logical and sensible case for whatever) and could hence be useful for society at large - with people who have zero expertise and hence zero relevance for society. In the U.S. for instance, the job most PhDs land is that of cleaner or cashier in a supermarket. So, my future is very much an unknown.

cebu

We're all crossing our fingers for you Mr Sipwell  Doc!   :54:

The Doctor

Quote from: sipwell on June 09, 2012, 11:54:18 AM
Unfortunately, Finn, the academic world works a bit like the bureaucracies of this world. I am, essentially, unemployed from September 1st onwards... So, my future is very much an unknown.

Much the same experience as me.  I was based at a research institute rather than a uni.  Quite a few students on the books there gaining valuable experience.  When the economy went pear-shaped the institute just stopped recruiting, effectively meaning they were training students up for nothing.  One student was on the verge of finishing at the time and was applying for three positions (any of which whe could have done).  They pulled the funding overnight so she had to look elsewhere Fortunately she found work and 18 months later got a job back at the institute.  I was equally lucky...a position opened up in a private spin-off company based at the institute last Sept and they asked me if I was interested - it was a no-brainer (although I didn't realise the workload would pile up so much I'd be working on a Saturday!).  Other students have left for private companies, or are starting to think about it as the end of their studies approach.  All in all, bit of a research sector brain drain.

But between submitting the Thesis and being offered the job, I spent a very nervous 3 months wondering where the hell a job was coming from.  The only advice I can offer is keep looking and try and enjoy a bit of downtime because you've damn well earned it

RidgeRider

White Noise

Congratulations good sir. You are now the 19th best qualified person on FoF. Good luck in your future endeavours.

HatterDon

sooooooooo ...

Whats up doc

congratulations. Don't forget to breathe!
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

sipwell

Quote from: The Doctor on June 09, 2012, 12:11:01 PM
Quote from: sipwell on June 09, 2012, 11:54:18 AM

Much the same experience as me.  I was based at a research institute rather than a uni.  Quite a few students on the books there gaining valuable experience.  When the economy went pear-shaped the institute just stopped recruiting, effectively meaning they were training students up for nothing.    All in all, bit of a research sector brain drain.

It is not just that. I know quite a lot of people in public administrations (Belgian government but mainly the European Commission). They are extremely frustrated about the fact that a lot of employees of the Commission - who used to be the best of the best (and hence the financial rewarding) - simply are not able to write a one page text that makes sense. A friend told a story that meetings are postponed because staff members need one week to read/understand a document of 100 pages. Even with that extra week, they are completely incapable of adding anything useful. These are the people that decide our future and help to get us out of this financial mess.
It is a bit sad then, for society and for the taxpayers, that all those people who got a scholarship on merit (but on their taxes) cannot contribute to society at all. I have no chance of getting a job at the Commission (even though I am an expert on that matter), simpletons from across Europe fill those places. You want to help to improve (or restore) the living standards of all people who read/respond to this board, but you are not allowed.

We'll see what happens. I can get some comfort that I have a A1 publication in an academic discipline where that is very rare. (A1 is the absolute top of publications; a bit like "The Times" compared to "The Godalming Tribunal"). I have heard here and there that I am too good to be thrown out of academia. We'll see!

Me-ate-Live, innit??

A doctor and his wife were having a big argument at breakfast.
"You aren't so good in bed either!" he shouted and stormed off to work.
By midmorning, he decided he'd better make amends and phoned home. After many rings, his wife picked up the phone.
"What took you so long to answer?"
"I was in bed."
"What were you doing in bed this late?"
"Getting a second opinion."

Congratulation Sipwell  !!!!! and the very best of luck getting a worthwhile job 

The Equalizer

Dr Squirrel-Bonce, I presume?

098.gif
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

NogoodBoyo

I never dreamt there was so much intelligence on this board! 
Dr. Burt, Dr. Sipwell, The Doctor, Mr (Dr.) Moon, Dr. Who, Dr. What, Dr. French Lieutenant's Woman, Dr. Finnster, Dr. Equalizer, the Spin Doctors White Noise and White JC, Dr. MOR, Don Doctoring, Dr. Ridge I need a doctor Rider, Dr. cebu, Dr. No 11, and........me...
...Nogood "Dr. up to no good with the nurse in the wash-house, isit" Boyo

NogoodBoyo

And congratulations to the reclusive Belgian doctor too.
Nogood "thinking he was a bit brighter than an Asterix, isit" Boyo