watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Jol Resigned To Losing Dempsey

Started by White Noise, June 10, 2012, 07:45:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/fulham-boss-jol-resigned-losing-dempsey-3228861?utm_source=taxonomy_landing_page

Fulham boss Jol resigned to losing Dempsey

Submitted by tribalfootball.com on Sun, 06/10/2012 - 03:08

Fulham boss Martin Jol has all but resigned himself to losing Clint Dempsey.

The Sunday Mirror says USA international Dempsey has so far declined fresh terms at Craven Cottage and has just 12 months left on his contract.

The attacking midfielder has a clutch of top Premier League clubs after him following his 23-goal haul last term.

Cottagers boss Jol is already making plans for life without the 29-year-old Texan.

BalDrick

In a way better to have clarity that he's definitely going than the confusion that the Dembele situation is starting to throw up. If you're going, go. Wish you all the best and thanks for everything, now kindly make your mind up so we have time to use the money to fill the hole.

Obviously best scenario is he extends and stays forever but that ain't gonna happen is it.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

Basil

It is one thing saying he wants to leave to fulfill his Champions League dream, quite another thing for a Champion League club to really want him and put in an offer.

On balance would rather Dembele stays as he will get better and Clint wont surpass last season performances (as potential suitors will know).

gang

I hope he stays but I think his movement when he is not involved is too slow and it makes him look lazy.

zzamora

Quote from: gang on June 10, 2012, 10:21:23 AM
I hope he stays but I think his movement when he is not involved is too slow and it makes him look lazy.

So we're gonna start moving onto slating him?

Firstly, his movement when not on the ball is exceptional. Just watch his header against Bolton for the kind of idea you can get about his moment. Split-second run into the box, cut the defense in half and POW, bullet header.

Secondly, he is not lazy. Against stoke, after 90 minutes, he sprinted down the pitch, nicked the ball off Sorenson and hit the post from a tight angle. A spring after 90 minutes when the game was won? That is not lazy.

Lets not start pointing out his bad points just because he's leaving- he is an exceptional player and we all know that. Remember the good times.

SJH

I'm not slating Dempsey, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Champions League club thing doesn't happen, at least in England; if only because he's a bit long in the tooth to fit with what seem to be the transfer policies of the CL clubs. Liverpool might be a different matter, for specific reasons, and doubtless that would count as a 'step up'.

What would bother me is if this drags on without him signing a new contract, and he goes late in 'the window'. If - if - it's become clear he definitely won't sign a new contract it could all become a hindrance.

cmg

Many of the greatest players I have seen tended to look 'lazy'. That was because they did not run around frantically to get into good positions. Part of their genius was that they naturally occupied good positions.

One such player talking about another such: ""Once you get used to watching that perfection you realised the rest of the secret. John was always available, always hungry for the ball, always wanting to play..."

[Moore on Haynes]

Mr Fulham

Quote from: ddeuce on June 10, 2012, 11:17:36 AM

So we're gonna start moving onto slating him?

Firstly, his movement when not on the ball is exceptional. Just watch his header against Bolton for the kind of idea you can get about his moment. Split-second run into the box, cut the defense in half and POW, bullet header.

Secondly, he is not lazy. Against stoke, after 90 minutes, he sprinted down the pitch, nicked the ball off Sorenson and hit the post from a tight angle. A spring after 90 minutes when the game was won? That is not lazy.

Lets not start pointing out his bad points just because he's leaving- he is an exceptional player and we all know that. Remember the good times.

plus one

LBNo11

...tribal football are the written equivalent of talkshite, they will be right 50% of the time journalism. Yes Clint may go, and I will be very sad, not just for Fulham's sake, but because I think for him it will be a case of the grass is greener/I will regret not taking the opportunity to achieve my ambitions and I think it will not work elsewhere.

If he does go I hope it is to another country, because frankly what champions league candidate in this country is going to take him other than as an alternative to what they already have. Too old for Wenger, unlikely to be first teamer at man u, not a big enough name at citeh. Possibly the neighbours but his age is against him, or does he become part of 'onest 'arry's butterfly collection.

At Fulham he has the free role which he excels at, he is the proverbial big fish in the small pool, we know he has the talent, and hopefully he will stay here and offer us those services so that Fulham FC can take another step up...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Matt Inglis

Look at all the excellent research and effort the author of that article has clearly put in to his work.
There's only one Emma's burger stand.

MasterHaynes

He is  a good player in the position and role he has at Fulham, a role and freedom he would not be afforded at a CL team. No CL team are going to change and move there big stars around to accommodate a 4m signing. Something Dembele has recognised with a mature analysis of his situation, Dempsey should take note of what Dembele has said. If he tries to save face by moving to Liverpool and arguing they are in the mix for CL then I cannot see him getting more than 20 games a season at most with Bellamy still there.

The Arsenal Link is very tenous, if Van Persie stays with Podolski, Chamberlain and Walcott there is no reason to buy Dempsey. Its not there attack its the defence Wenger needs to buy for. Tottenham if Defoe leaves if not then not going to happen. I would think a swap of Dempsey for Defoe would get a lot of support on this board and a load of No's on the Spurs boards

Mr Fulham

So who is that 4m signing you are talking about MasterHaynes?

Me-ate-Live, innit??

These Champion League Clubs have been ' coming to get him' for the last three years.
.......................what if they do not come this year ?????

Will Demps runs down his contract and leaves on a free ???

Admin

Hand on heart say's that Dempsey feels it's the right time to test himself amongst the footballing elite, i.e. Champions league football. At 29, top your game, who wouldn't? He won't be getting another chance put it that way.

I honestly feel that Dempsey, himself, has put a clear "come and get me" message to the Champions League clubs and if one does come in for him, he will go. Again, he's not been rude or disrespectful to Fulham and I as a supporter, I feel that Dempsey would deserve it over any other Fulham player. Again, because of his background and how he became a footballer, this would just be the icing on the cake, especially for him.

Now, if a club doesn't come in for him, I think Dempsey will also view it as if his chance wasn't to be and he'll stay at Fulham and he'll retire out in the US some where in later years. Like I've always said, Dempsey isn't pushing for a move but if the right one comes along he'll take it, who wouldn't.

But like I've always said from the start, don't be suprised if we end up keeping bother Dempsey and Dembele..

Terry Angus

Quote from: SJH on June 10, 2012, 11:25:52 AM
I'm not slating Dempsey, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Champions League club thing doesn't happen, at least in England; if only because he's a bit long in the tooth to fit with what seem to be the transfer policies of the CL clubs. Liverpool might be a different matter, for specific reasons, and doubtless that would count as a 'step up'.

What would bother me is if this drags on without him signing a new contract, and he goes late in 'the window'. If - if - it's become clear he definitely won't sign a new contract it could all become a hindrance.

if it's for more than £5m i actually hope he goes. in my eyes we've got 3 or 4 players who could slot into one of the english champions' league teams (dembele, schwarzer, hangeland and arguably murphy) the one player who always mouths off about it (dempsey) ain't one of them. and he's nearly 30.

he aint that good. thanks for the memories (eg juventus) but if you want to go... do one.

RidgeRider

Quote from: Terry Angus on June 10, 2012, 02:30:07 PM

if it's for more than £5m i actually hope he goes. in my eyes we've got 3 or 4 players who could slot into one of the english champions' league teams (dembele, schwarzer, hangeland and arguably murphy) the one player who always mouths off about it (dempsey) ain't one of them. and he's nearly 30.

he aint that good. thanks for the memories (eg juventus) but if you want to go... do one.

Really?

gang

HatterDon

Well, I'm absolutely stunned to discover that Dempsey isn't at Motspur Park right now working hard with MJ to finalize a new contract. Certainly if he's good enough to play Champions League football, he's good enough to be in SW London AND in the Caribbean playing in World Cup qualifiers. Certainly, after a long, arduous football season, rather than taking time out with his family, he should be signing yet another contract IN London, so he can turn the comments from:

He obviously doesn't want to be with us but he isn't good enough to play on a top team

TO

Clint needs to take some time off. No wonder he's had three terrible seasons on the trot; he never gets any rest.

"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

nevzter

Quote from: RidgeRider on June 10, 2012, 02:47:44 PM
Quote from: Terry Angus on June 10, 2012, 02:30:07 PM

Really?

Wow...ignorance is bliss.
"To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable."