News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Employment advice. (If any of you had to interview, it people will help)

Started by Frankie-Peter Taylor, June 16, 2012, 03:04:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankie-Peter Taylor

As some of you on here may know, I aim to be a professional football coach, and I just want to ask a question about how I come across and whether that makes a difference.

I don't have the most attractive voice in the world, it sounds a bit dopey for my liking and I'm wondering whether that would effect my employment. I'm not a dopey person, I have a brain and when writing on this board and texting I like to speak properly but when the words come out of my mouth I just sound like a div.

Should I go about taking Allocution lessons?

Would you employ someone that had all the knowledge but it sounded like they didn't?

Berserker

My brother decided to learn to speak like a BBC newsreader when he was a teenager years ago. He did this as he didn't want to go to Uni with a west country account. He has gone on to do very well, not sure if the change of accent helped but it didn't do any harm.
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Berserker

Sorry meant west country accent, not account. Damn phone key pad again!

- Martin Luther King Jr.

sipwell

Do whatever you think is necessary to boost your confidence. The job you aim for is one where you need all the confidence, self-respect and self-esteem you can get. If you feel uneasy about it and it can be "improved" (don't want to state it actually is the case), then go for it. I have learned that the less worries you have about who you are, the further you can travel.
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

CravenCottager

From what you are saying it may in part be a question of confidence. Clearly communication and the ability to convey your ideas is a big part of being a football coach (much as with any job really). If you feel this is something that is important (or feel self-conscious about) then take the lessons. I don't imagine others perceive your speech in the same way you do but anything that helps you achieve your ambitions can only be worthwhile. Best of luck!
"The first 90 minutes are the most important".

Burt

The content of what you have to say is the most important thing.

Followed by how you deliver the content.

If you know what you are talking about, and are able to put that across without errrrmmm-ing, ahhhh-ing and innit-ing then that is half the battle won.

It's all a question of confidence.

HatterDon

An Englishman's way of speaking absolutely classifies him.
The moment he talks he makes another Englishman despise him.
This verbal class distinction should now be obsolete
Oh why can't the English learn to speak?

"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Burt

My wife's a brummie bird, but I have trained her up well over the years.

Although wine does lead to a temporary relapse  :dft011:

Rupert

Quote from: HatterDon on June 16, 2012, 06:19:51 PM

Too many of them learn their language from your wretched Hollywood films nowadays, that's why  :015:
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

Burt

Quote from: Rupert on June 16, 2012, 07:25:29 PM
Quote from: HatterDon on June 16, 2012, 06:19:51 PM

Too many of them learn their language from your wretched Hollywood films nowadays, that's why  :015:

Not 2 mentn txt msgs

Berserker

Quote from: Burt on June 16, 2012, 07:22:40 PM

Is that considered as bad as a west country accent? My Auntie and uncle live just outside Birmingham, they are actually very wealthy but still have the brummie accent and are proud of it.

- Martin Luther King Jr.

leonffc

It won't effect your employment chances as such but to be a coach, whether it be kids, teenagers or adults you need to have a voice that will keep people entertained, focused or interested.
 I'm only just starting out really and won't go that far but my problem (comparing myself to the guy I work with) is the way I come across to the kids. It's probably a lot to do with confidence tbh but I'm improving.
 Don't worry about it now. When you get on courses, see DVDs, work alongside more experienced coaches you will pick up bits from everywhere and find that your voice and personality will change as you learn. It sounds silly but you will be suprised I promise you. Certainly your youth modules will focus quite a bit on how to come across.
 It will come together for you so don't waste your time on elecution lessons, just get booked on to FA courses!

Burt

Quote from: Berserker on June 16, 2012, 10:05:52 PM
Quote from: Burt on June 16, 2012, 07:22:40 PM

Is that considered as bad as a west country accent? My Auntie and uncle live just outside Birmingham, they are actually very wealthy but still have the brummie accent and are proud of it.

It's all a matter of personal preference (or prejudice) at the end of the day.

My favorite accent is geordie, my least favorite is brummie. But that's just me.

jarv

Self confidence. Know your stuff, look people in the eye, learn to shift focus if talking to a group, take time answering questions after making sure you understand the question. There is more to it but those few pointers should help. By the way, I have been on video talking to a group and I really don't like my voice either.

HD....the reason the English cannot speak is at school we did not have show and tell. My children had to present stuff to the class all the time from an early age. I think it helps when older, at university and in work. I don't recall EVER having to speak in front of the class.

Lighthouse

I would take Elocution lessons if you think it matters. But the days of people being judged by how they sound OR communicate should be long gone. Although the reverse snob is still alive and well. But know the subject you want to work in and that will be enough.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

CorkedHat

I had a speech impediment well into my thirties and I still have a trace of one now. It never stopped me from teaching at Uni or speaking at seminars
The key is, as Jarv alludes, is to convey self confidence. Show them what you know and how you would implement it. What any prospective employer wants to know is what is it that you are going to bring to their business if they employ you?
Alan Ball who played in our 66 World Cup winning team had a high pitched squeaky voice which every man and his dog would try to make fun of. This did not prevent him from managing around seven different clubs after his playing career had finished.
Incidentally, I chose not to have elocution lessons but tried to cure the problem myself. If elocution lessons provide you with the necessary confidence, then take them.
Go for it Frankie and don't let anyone tell you that you can't do it – least of all the most important person in your life - you
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

HatterDon

What always impressed me, whenever I interviewed a person for a job, was their ability to look me in the eye, while being relaxed, friendly, and confident. If the individual got to the interview stage with me, he'd already cleared a couple of hurdles, and it wasn't so much a question of "how qualified" as it was "how will he fit in with my team" -- in other words, ease in communicating was everything.

The creepiest interview I had was when I asked, as I usually do, "what would you like to ask ME" -- expecting the usual questions about travel, extra hours, possibilities for advancement, etc. This one guy began to ask me about my co-authored book, my acting awards, and my Vietnam service. This was a few years back, and I wasn't expecting someone to Google me -- never mind show me so clearly he had done so ... He didn't get the gig.

"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel