watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Pog to Reading - 4 year deal

Started by Brede Butter Pudding, June 19, 2012, 11:53:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HatterDon

Yet another player lured away to the bright lights of the flesh post known as Reading.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Basil

Really not fussed about this, and this is not sour grapes, all along I have been indifferent, he is not mobile enough to play our style of football.

EricB

MOSCOW, June 19 (RIA Novosti)

According to this, his agent says still talking -decision next week 

Russian striker Pavel Pogrebnyak is in talks to join Reading but there is interest from other Premier League clubs, his agent Oleg Artemov told R-Sport on Tuesday.
Pogrebnyak spent the second half of last season on loan at Fulham, where he had held negotiations on a permanent contract.
"We're not just holding talks with Reading. There are other English clubs," Artemov said.
"I think that a final decision will be taken in a week's time."
Artemov declined to name the other clubs he claimed were competing for Pogrebnyak's signature.
The 28-year-old joined Fulham on loan in January from German side Stuttgart, where he is out of contract next month.
He made an immediate impression in the English Premier League with five goals in his first three games, eventually scoring six in 12 matches.
He has scored eight times in 33 international appearances for Russia, and most recently represented his country at Euro 2012.
Before joining Stuttgart, he won the Russian Premier League and UEFA Cup with Zenit St. Petersburg while playing alongside Andrei Arshavin, now at Arsenal

http://en.rian.ru/sports/20120619/174127213.html

Alternative

Who needs Zamora when we've got the Pog?

I guess we will not be hearing that again. He shaped up well. No need to get used to Premier League, he scored pretty quickly. Would only get better IMO.

HOWEVER I do not know what goes on in contract negotiations. I would not want to be mugged off just to buy or keep a player

Mr Fulham

Quote from: Alternative on June 19, 2012, 04:31:13 PM
Would only get better IMO.

Really? He was brilliant in his first few months in the Bundesliga, but totally lost the plot afterwards.

Lighthouse

Must be down to finances. I am a little concerned that Reading can take what is a very good back up striker and offer him a better contract than we can.

OR

Fulham are putting together a new strike force that will blow our minds and need all the money.

OR

We will play without any forward and hope we find another Dempsey.

OR

Money is no object as a Bridlington based multi Billionaire with a child bride called Ethel has always wanted a football club as a play thing and is willing to let the people who run the club stay. But is willing to put zillions into the club.

I think I have said too much already. You read it here first.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

ScalleysDad

Quote from: Mr Fulham on June 19, 2012, 04:58:57 PM
Quote from: Alternative on June 19, 2012, 04:31:13 PM
Would only get better IMO.

Really? He was brilliant in his first few months in the Bundesliga, but totally lost the plot afterwards.

Lost the plot or got found out. I think the same could be said for his time with us. Once centre backs worked out his game and closed him down he became ineffective. The last 5/6 games for us he was almost a spectator and lost almost every aerial challenge by a mile. I think he was undone by what is called in the centre backs handbook of football tactics the "let him know you're there" scenario.

ScalleysDad

Quote from: Lighthouse on June 19, 2012, 05:10:26 PM
Must be down to finances. I am a little concerned that Reading can take what is a very good back up striker and offer him a better contract than we can.

OR

Fulham are putting together a new strike force that will blow our minds and need all the money.

OR

We will play without any forward and hope we find another Dempsey.

OR

Money is no object as a Bridlington based multi Billionaire with a child bride called Ethel has always wanted a football club as a play thing and is willing to let the people who run the club stay. But is willing to put zillions into the club.

I think I have said too much already. You read it here first.

Always loved Ethel as a girls name. Is zillions more than, the same as or less than a bucket load.

bigalffc

They must have better targets lined up and he wouldn't have been our first choice. I think Reading are paying over the odds for what would have been our bench warmer.
Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us we can learn to dance on a shifting carpet - Thomas Crum

White Noise

I think bench warmer is the point. When he joined Jol said a big attraction for Pog had been the fact we were so short of strikers Jol could guarantee him a starting place for the rest of the season. He wouldn't get that now but he probably will at Reading.

Terry Angus

Quote from: The Moose on June 19, 2012, 12:13:41 PM
There was a rumour they were offering £65,000 per week. If true that's an astonishingly poor piece of business. I would've liked him to stay but I wouldn't offer more than £35,000 per week. I'm sure we'll find someone else.

that's what i read: £13m over 4 years, bc their russian chairman really wants him. he did a job for us but is neither the calibre nor type of player we should be looking at, certainly not for that kind of money and term. on the whole this is good news, reminding me that we're one of the best run clubs in the league (even though some people seem to think we're not, when we don't offer dempsey £110k pw or £59m for Hulk on the first day of the transfer window)

White Noise

Reading agree £6m deal with Russia striker Pogrebnyak

By Sportsmail Reporter

PUBLISHED: 07:25, 20 June 2012 | UPDATED: 07:25, 20 June 2012

Reading appear to have won the race for the signature of Pavel Pogrebnyak.

The Premier League new boys have reportedly agreed a four-year deal worth more than £6m with the the Russia striker.

Pavel Pogrebnyak: set to join Reading

The 28-year-old will pocket £30,000 a week after the Royals, who are funded by Russian-born owner Anton Zingarevich, beat off interest from rivals Fulham and Aston Villa, reports the Sun.

Pogrebnyak caught the eye during a loan spell at Fulham last season but boss Martin Jol has been outbid.

Reading boss Brian McDermott said: 'We are trying to get players in, but with any good player there is always going to be competition.'

Pogrebynak bagged six goals in 12 starts for Fulham during a loan spell from Stuttgart, but will be a free agent at the end of the month.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2161953/Reading-agree-6m-deal-Pavel-Pogrebnyak.html#ixzz1yJWYLOim

ClarksOriginal

I tweeted this yesterday:

@jarbados_ Jun 19, 11:57am via HootSuite

Let me put this into perspective... Dembele earns £20k p/w, Dempsey £30k p/w... is Pog worth £42k p/w? No. #Fulham

Judging by the RTs 8+ and the 4 favourites - the general concensus seemed to agree that £42k p/w wages were ludicrous for a player of Pogs stature.

I would have kept him, he's popped up with some key goals for us, and could have been good impact sub, but at £42k p/w - not for me.

@sonikkicks on Twitter.

TonyGilroy

I've posted this a hundred times before but I'll say it again. Players are not on £x per week - their contracts are far more sophisticated and complex with all sorts of contingencies and bonuses.

35 years ago I did some legal work for a then second division club and even then, in a prehistoric era, the contracts were more involved than simply being so much per week.

ClarksOriginal

Quote from: TonyGilroy on June 20, 2012, 09:56:35 AM
I've posted this a hundred times before but I'll say it again. Players are not on £x per week - their contracts are far more sophisticated and complex with all sorts of contingencies and bonuses.

35 years ago I did some legal work for a then second division club and even then, in a prehistoric era, the contracts were more involved than simply being so much per week.

Fair play Mr Gilroy - but with only 140 characters to use I had to keep it as simple as possible.
@sonikkicks on Twitter.

zzamora

Lighthouse

Quote from: ddeuce on June 20, 2012, 10:30:49 AM
Put some of my thoughts down on my weekly HammyEnd Blog.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2012/06/trust-in-jol/

Not sure I can trust Jol or blame him for the recent AJ and Pog outgoings. I am sure this is due to finance and this would not be Jols area. I hope we can bring in somebody up front. But our history is against us. We have been after a forward for several managers now and have at best brought in loan players as fill ins. So hope more than expect. Finance seems to be the thing. Jol may be as much an onlooker as we are.

Good read by the way and nice dedication.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

TonyGilroy

The stats though show us as having the 9th(I think) highest wage bill in the division. Very much equivalent to what we achieve so we're not trying to do things on the cheap.

ScalleysDad

Quote from: Lighthouse on June 20, 2012, 10:50:06 AM
Quote from: ddeuce on June 20, 2012, 10:30:49 AM
Put some of my thoughts down on my weekly HammyEnd Blog.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2012/06/trust-in-jol/

Not sure I can trust Jol or blame him for the recent AJ and Pog outgoings. I am sure this is due to finance and this would not be Jols area. I hope we can bring in somebody up front. But our history is against us. We have been after a forward for several managers now and have at best brought in loan players as fill ins. So hope more than expect. Finance seems to be the thing. Jol may be as much an onlooker as we are.

Good read by the way and nice dedication.

ditto the good read and the dedication.
I don't think Jol was a great Pog fan simple as that. Those that look at the dug out from time to time would have seen him wave his arms in despair on more than one occassion.