watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR in defence of tiki-taka football

Started by Bassey the warrior, June 27, 2012, 06:47:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bassey the warrior

Critics of Spain say they are boring. I think this is a load of tosh. It would be nice to see more shots granted, but the sheer level of technical ability is quite breathtaking. The movement, the ball control, the variety of precise passes, the flair. All of it is quite beautiful. I agree they do overdo it a bit though but nevertheless I find it very enjoyable to watch. Really rated Athletic Bilbao this season and Swansea this season.

Mr Fulham

Chesh

Quote from: Mr Fulham on June 27, 2012, 06:49:47 PM
I think it's boring.
Surely boring would be putting 11 men behind the ball and sitting back like England.

Spain win games, and do so by keeping the ball moving with no little skill.

I wish England were that boring.

I agree with The Moose on this one.
Made in Hammersmith (1968)

EJL

In the EL this season (bar the final) Bilbao would play like their lives depended on winning games - which is why they were so fantastic to watch.

LBNo11

Quote from: Chesh on June 27, 2012, 06:55:33 PM
I think it's boring.
Surely boring would be putting 11 men behind the ball and sitting back like England.

...I think the reason that England are boring by playing defensively is that we just aren't good enough - or as good as the media say we are - on the International scene, and Roy Hodgson has to play that way to avoid a rout.

I do like watching players actually passing to each other successfully, and using the correct, precise power to enable a smooth transfer of the ball. Arsenal at their old best were a pleasure to watch but they could be bullied off the ball and put off by aggressive play.

I can see that it could become boring, it is a bit like the snooker players these days, they have almost become automatons with the perfection of their play, which for me has made the sport less exciting and I rarely watch these days. I would like to see a middle ground where the pretty football is played but with a bit of spice, not sure how that would be achieved though...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Chesh

Quote from: LBNo11 on June 27, 2012, 07:09:32 PM
I think it's boring.

...I think the reason that England are boring by playing defensively is that we just aren't good enough - or as good as the media say we are - on the International scene, and Roy Hodgson has to play that way to avoid a rout.

I do like watching players actually passing to each other successfully, and using the correct, precise power to enable a smooth transfer of the ball. Arsenal at their old best were a pleasure to watch but they could be bullied off the ball and put off by aggressive play.

I can see that it could become boring, it is a bit like the snooker players these days, they have almost become automatons with the perfection of their play, which for me has made the sport less exciting and I rarely watch these days. I would like to see a middle ground where the pretty football is played but with a bit of spice, not sure how that would be achieved though...
It could well happen tonight, as Spain will need a bit more than they have already shown to deal with Portugal, and I think they can move up a gear if needed. I suppose we'll see....
Made in Hammersmith (1968)

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Chesh on June 27, 2012, 07:14:11 PM
Quote from: LBNo11 on June 27, 2012, 07:09:32 PM
I think it's boring.

It could well happen tonight, as Spain will need a bit more than they have already shown to deal with Portugal, and I think they can move up a gear if needed. I suppose we'll see....
I think it will be tight, Spain haven't been great by their high standards and will need to be far more penetrative than against Croatia to win. Ronaldo will ultimately decide the game one way or another, if he turns up Portugal could win.
I would love to see a Spain-Germany final.

Mitch

It's boring to watch, but not boring to win.

hesedmedia

Negredo to start... vs Pepe should be less boring...

Frankie-Peter Taylor

I can see WHY people would think Spain are boring, but I would really have to criticise their taste of football. Spain's football is like a fine wine compared to watching 'White Lighting' teams like Stoke.

The most impressive thing about Spain's football, for me, is their persistence and almost arrogant way in that no matter the score, the ball will mainly stay on the floor, it's incredibly beautiful to watch. I just tweeted today that perhaps Spain shouldn't play both Xabi Alonso and Sergio Busquets, my reasoning for this is they both do the same job, they are not there to create and score goals, they are there to break up and spread play, also to keep the ball moving. Perhaps just the one change (which involves moving Iniesta to a more central position) could increase the passing with a purpose and a more clinical ability.

They work hard when they do lose the ball to win it back and will manipulate the game and the opposition with their quite frankly gorgeous style of play. It's beautiful and if somehow there could be a mixture between this and the classic Dutch Total Football, I will make sure a put it to work when I'm managing Fulham in 20+ years.

Bassey the warrior

Glad to see Torres has been dropped. Why he ever started above Llorente is bizarre. He's been shocking for the last 3 years.

Oiseau

The problem with Spain's current style of football is occasionally their limited tactics. They seem to have only two of three favoured attacks. The one that they use most is to try and put a through ball into the box from the corner of it and for strikers to run onto the end of it. After a while it can get a little wearing. Despite this, I completely agree that they demonstrate a huge amount of skill in passing the ball and holding onto possession. It's fascinating to watch their technical ability on the ball.

However, their current football is a little bit dull compared to what they were playing during the World Cup. They seem much more limited without the pizazz of Villa. There might also the issue of football fans having been more exposed to Spain's style of play so they become 'bored' with it after a while. I don't think that any type of football can be called 'boring' per se, though. Fans are entitled to their own opinions on what they find 'attractive' or 'boring.'

Views and opinions on particular teams and formations are a very, very personal thing. I love the look of a strong back line, very ordered football and even the padlock formation but on other days favour fast moving, creative football... Some may find defensive football boring, some adore it. It's an intensely individual thing.

os5889

Problem with Spain, as with Barcelona... No plan B, Barcelona had one (Ibrahimovic), Spain may have one (Llorente) they are just to proud (up to now) to admit they need one

dishEJtheRock!

well so far in this game one team has been really boring, and one has been more interesting and direct. as far as i can tell the score is still 0 - 0.

if you want to argue that their ability to hold possession and pass the ball is technically impressive no can deny that. but why is the ability to be direct and fast not impressive? ronaldo and nani can change a game in an instant, can blow by players and or dance around them, why is that ability less "refined" than passing? as far as im concerned watching a winger blow by his defender and put a cross on someones head is jsut as good as watching spain make 60 passes before finally maybe taking a shot.

Mitch

Quote from: Oiseau on June 27, 2012, 08:02:33 PM
The problem with Spain's current style of football is occasionally their limited tactics. They seem to have only two of three favoured attacks. The one that they use most is to try and put a through ball into the box from the corner of it and for strikers to run onto the end of it. After a while it can get a little wearing. Despite this, I completely agree that they demonstrate a huge amount of skill in passing the ball and holding onto possession. It's fascinating to watch their technical ability on the ball.

However, their current football is a little bit dull compared to what they were playing during the World Cup. They seem much more limited without the pizazz of Villa. There might also the issue of football fans having been more exposed to Spain's style of play so they become 'bored' with it after a while. I don't think that any type of football can be called 'boring' per se, though. Fans are entitled to their own opinions on what they find 'attractive' or 'boring.'

Views and opinions on particular teams and formations are a very, very personal thing. I love the look of a strong back line, very ordered football and even the padlock formation but on other days favour fast moving, creative football... Some may find defensive football boring, some adore it. It's an intensely individual thing.

Agree with all of this. Emphasised by their reluctance to cross or play Llorente.

jarv

As far as Spain goes, it is not they are boring but other teams have worked out how to close them down (a bit).

As far as England goes (someone mentioned them) they are boring, always have been boring (since the day Ramsay refused to pick Haynes) and will continue to be boring. :55: I wish Roy the best though. :54:

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Mitch on June 27, 2012, 09:34:24 PM
Quote from: Oiseau on June 27, 2012, 08:02:33 PM

Agree with all of this. Emphasised by their reluctance to cross or play Llorente.

I can't get my head around that. He thrived as the lone striker in the Europa Cup. Surely he was made for this Spanish side?

God The Mechanic

You saw how ineffective Negredo was, so it's hardly a surprise they stay away from using not fully proven out and out strikers.  Torres was absolutely incredible a few years back and Villa is simply phenomenal.  It could be down to an inability to "mix it up" so to speak, or it could just be that they wouldn't be as good or comfortable like that.

Once Negredo went off tonight they looked a greater goal threat too.  IMO Pedro needs to play as often as possible and one of Biscuits and Xabi Alonso needs to be dropped - they're too similar to play along side each other AND have Xavi in the side.  And Xavi ain't getting dropped.

Ordar

I'm sorry but I just don't find Spain or in fact Barca entertaining to watch. Having 600 odd passes in the middle third isn't entertaining. Playing 6 in midfield isn't entertaining.

In the same way Messi producing in 1 friendly against Brazil and playing in front of Iniesta and Xavi does not make him the best player ever.

Everyone moaned about Chelsea and England playing boring football, but Spain and Barca are equally boring it's just time wasting on a different level.