watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Five to one, baby, one to five

Started by HatterDon, July 07, 2012, 12:51:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HatterDon

thanks for the correction, Mr. Baldrick.

As for the "underlying meaning," I never heard either of those meanings. Personally, I think it's kind of silly to extrapolate rock/soul/blues lyrics. Even those that tell a story succeed because of their musicality and not any underlying meaning.

Two quotes leap to mind:

1. The Guess Who. when asked about their song "Share the Land" promoting collectivishm said, "No, we're not communists. We just liked the rhyme."

2. Don McLean, when asked if it was cool that 20 plus years later people were still arguing about what the lyrics mean, said "Of course. It's always cool when someone turns one of your compositions into a parlor game."

Those of you who dig Google and poetry, search for Billy Collins' poem "Introduction to Poetry."
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

BalDrick

Quote from: HatterDon on July 08, 2012, 03:54:54 PM
thanks for the correction, Mr. Baldrick.

As for the "underlying meaning," I never heard either of those meanings. Personally, I think it's kind of silly to extrapolate rock/soul/blues lyrics. Even those that tell a story succeed because of their musicality and not any underlying meaning.

Two quotes leap to mind:

1. The Guess Who. when asked about their song "Share the Land" promoting collectivishm said, "No, we're not communists. We just liked the rhyme."

2. Don McLean, when asked if it was cool that 20 plus years later people were still arguing about what the lyrics mean, said "Of course. It's always cool when someone turns one of your compositions into a parlor game."

Those of you who dig Google and poetry, search for Billy Collins' poem "Introduction to Poetry."

Believe me, I'm dreadful at knowing what songs are about, never stops me enjoying them though. But this one is quite intriguing I think. Here are the lyrics anyway:

Yeah, c'mon
Love my girl
She lookin' good
C'mon
One more

Five to one, baby
One in five
No one here gets out alive, now
You get yours, baby
I'll get mine
Gonna make it, baby
If we try

The old get old
And the young get stronger
May take a week
And it may take longer
They got the guns
But we got the numbers
Gonna win, yeah
We're takin' over
Come on!

Yeah!
[ Lyrics from: http://www.lyricsfreak.com/d/doors/five+to+one_20042584.html ]
Your ballroom days are over, baby
Night is drawing near
Shadows of the evening crawl across the years
Ya walk across the floor with a flower in your hand
Trying to tell me no one understands
Trade in your hours for a handful dimes
Gonna' make it, baby, in our prime

Come together one more time
Get together one more time
Get together, aha
Get together one more time!
Get together one more time!
Get together, gotta, get together

Ohhhhhhhh!

Hey, c'mon, honey
You won't have along wait for me, baby
I'll be there in just a little while
You see, I gotta go out in this car with these people and...

Get together, got to
Get together, got to
Get together, got to
Take you up in my room and...
Hah-hah-hah-hah-hah
Love my girl
She lookin' good, lookin' real good
Love ya, c'mon
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

Me-ate-Live, innit??

Quote from: Rupert on July 07, 2012, 11:04:32 AM
Is this the first sign of the board going into meltdown, or can we all hold our nerve for a tad longer?
The players don't return from their holidays until Monday, do they?

..... but you must expect peeps to get a bit ancy .........Jol has had a whole year to line up  his  targets as it appears he knew that The Dazzler was not his kind of player very early on 
...............and six weeks to bag em 
unless he knows that the D's are not going after all   :023:

Berserker

Well I'm going to be strong  :dft002:
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

cmg

Always dangerous, I think, to over-intellectualize on the meaning of rock lyrics - particularly when the lyricist's head was in the kind of state Morrison's must have been in.

When asked the 'meaning' of his songs Dylan provided many different answers, my favourite probably being, "If you don't understand it, it's not for you." And Don McLean, on being asked the meaning of American Pie famously said, "It means I'll never have to work again."

By the time 'Waiting For The Sun' came out many of us (then) teenagers naively thought that we were on the brink of some kind of revolution in which the youth of the world would take over the running of things from the old regime. A load of bollocks, of course, particularly as very few of us were actually prepared to do anything practical to bring it about. But lyrics such as 'They've got the guns, but we've got the numbers. Gonna win, yeah. We're taking over' seemed to hold a particular message, and, this, presumably was Morrison's intention. In retrospect, of course, his, 'Nobody here gets out alive,' has a certain poignancy.

Berserker

Quote from: cmg on July 08, 2012, 07:54:20 PM
Always dangerous, I think, to over-intellectualize on the meaning of rock lyrics - particularly when the lyricist's head was in the kind of state Morrison's must have been in.

When asked the 'meaning' of his songs Dylan provided many different answers, my favourite probably being, "If you don't understand it, it's not for you." And Don McLean, on being asked the meaning of American Pie famously said, "It means I'll never have to work again."

By the time 'Waiting For The Sun' came out many of us (then) teenagers naively thought that we were on the brink of some kind of revolution in which the youth of the world would take over the running of things from the old regime. A load of bollocks, of course, particularly as very few of us were actually prepared to do anything practical to bring it about. But lyrics such as 'They've got the guns, but we've got the numbers. Gonna win, yeah. We're taking over' seemed to hold a particular message, and, this, presumably was Morrison's intention. In retrospect, of course, his, 'Nobody here gets out alive,' has a certain poignancy.

I think it's the same with certain films. I had a discussion years ago with my other half about Mulholland Drive by David Lynch, he really wanted to know what it meant, but my arguement was why does it have to mean anything.
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.