watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

When I Go On The Guardian Web Site

Started by TonyGilroy, July 10, 2012, 02:57:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TonyGilroy

I get bombarded with FFC adverts urging me to buy a season ticket.

Presumably there is a mechanism whereby my visiting this and other Fulham sites lets the Guardian web site know that I'm a Fulham supporter.

Or is the club paying massively for adverts in the Guardian.

Feels vaguely creepy.

MJG

The wonders of your browser and Google telling it that you search or go to Fulham websites.

cottage cheese

websites place cookies and what not on your comp. Various websites can read what you have been looking at and then pop the relevant adverts,

I brought some stuff from holland barratt and the last few days all pop up adverts have been about their deals etc

The Doctor

I've noticed similar ads today on a few websites.  Seems a bit of a waste as I'm a ST holder already (and I've logged on to my online ST account today so the PC must have a record of that).

There was some new cookie law just bought in recently.  I think websites now have to warn you that cookies will be downloaded.  If you ignore the little pop-up and carry on through the website that counts as consent for the cookies to install themselves on your PC.  Nothing an occassional clearout of the cookie cache won't fix. 

HatterDon

I bought a new guitar amplifier about 4 months ago. I did my consumer-review research on line and my Google email adverts and my "you might likes" on Facebook STILL are dominated by ads for amps.

The major creepy, though, came HERE ... on the original FofF. I had just finished posting and went back to the Forum list to see an add that said "Meet single girls in San Antonio." Luckily the Memsahib was nowhere in sight.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Berserker

Quote from: TonyGilroy on July 10, 2012, 02:57:11 PM

I get bombarded with FFC adverts urging me to buy a season ticket.

Presumably there is a mechanism whereby my visiting this and other Fulham sites lets the Guardian web site know that I'm a Fulham supporter.

Feels vaguely creepy.

I get it on the BBC website as well, I just thought Fulham FC had paid a load out in advertising, didn't realise about the cookie thing...Doh
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

King_Crud

Quote from: HatterDon on July 10, 2012, 03:24:41 PM
I bought a new guitar amplifier about 4 months ago. I did my consumer-review research on line and my Google email adverts and my "you might likes" on Facebook STILL are dominated by ads for amps.

The major creepy, though, came HERE ... on the original FofF. I had just finished posting and went back to the Forum list to see an add that said "Meet single girls in San Antonio." Luckily the Memsahib was nowhere in sight.

I've had ones for Muslim and Indian dating websites. I don't they're really picked their target market there, no idea what cookies I have to give them the impression I'd be interested in that

sipwell

Adblocker extension for firefox. Very good in concealing all ads. I see none, bar the ebay one on top :)
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

Andy_M

You just beat me to that recommendation Sipwell. But I can second that Adblocker works pretty darn well.
@got_maile

Mr Fulham

Quote from: TonyGilroy on July 10, 2012, 02:57:11 PM
no, it's google. had the same creepy moment when I visited transfermarkt.de

jarv

I am reading a book "the numerati"  It is about companies using teams of phd level people compiling tons of data about all of us simply living in the modern world. These really clever buggers create complicated mathematical algorithms etc to link together pretty much everything we do and buy.

1984 has arrived, they know everything about us. So the answer to your post is YES. They have linked the two together. Funny, I read the Guardian but do not get ads. to buy Fulham season tickets. Priobably because I live in USA. Clever buggars.

The book says, yahoo and google etc... gather an average of 2500 details about each of us every month. The numerati, as they are known, can profile us as workers, shoppers, voters, potential terrorists etc. There endeavor is the mathematical modelling of humanity.

Rupert

Quote from: jarv on July 10, 2012, 05:46:00 PM
I am reading a book "the numerati"  It is about companies using teams of phd level people compiling tons of data about all of us simply living in the modern world. These really clever buggers create complicated mathematical algorithms etc to link together pretty much everything we do and buy.

1984 has arrived, they know everything about us. So the answer to your post is YES. They have linked the two together. Funny, I read the Guardian but do not get ads. to buy Fulham season tickets. Priobably because I live in USA. Clever buggars.

The book says, yahoo and google etc... gather an average of 2500 details about each of us every month. The numerati, as they are known, can profile us as workers, shoppers, voters, potential terrorists etc. There endeavor is the mathematical modelling of humanity.

There are things you can do to mess up their world. Buy your shopping with cash where possible, though that gets mucked up by loyalty cards. I try not to use my debit card for anything other than the hole in the wall, unless I am buying something very expensive where a thick wad of cash would be risky to carry around, so my non-food shopping habits are a bit of a mystery to them. Even the likes of HMV and Waterstones want me to have a loyalty card to track my likes and dislikes. They haven't persuaded me to take one yet. The only one I do have is from Sainsbury's, it's getting that £2-50 off my shoping every other month, see, every man has his price, and that's mine. Frankly, if "they" want to know I buy baked beans, a loaf of bread and 3 for £5 bottles of beer, well, they've got me! Maybe I'll be sent some free samples?
I refuse to answer "telephone surveys" (you could tell fibs if you want to be bothered, I don't), and any time anyone rings me up to tell me I was mis-sold some sort of financial insurance (which I was not, I never had the relevant accounts, too poor, see) I demand to know where they got that sort of confidential information from. As they do not have anything of the sort, they are just cold calling, they usually quickly hang up.
Anarchy rules!
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.