watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Stephen Kelly released apparently

Started by Bassey the warrior, July 12, 2012, 08:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bassey the warrior

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/may/31/released-players-life-lower-level

They got his first name wrong but The Guardian are a pretty reliable source. I've not heard this announced anywhere else though. I think it's a bit harsh on him really I feel he earned a new contract as a back up. Perhaps Jol wants to get in someone younger who can learn the ropes and then take over the season after the coming one. Riether will be first choice that much is clear. This means either Grygera will stay on which is unlikely or we'll get someone new in. I highly doubt Jol will be happy with Baird or Hughes as backups for right back.

AlFayedsChequebook

Me-ate-Live, innit??

That may be because he was not at 1st day training,  

Didn't he , Duff, Dempsey   and ????
get extra time off because of involvement in other compos ????

Burt

Hope this one is just more journo opportunism. I like Kelly, be a shame to see him leave.

bog

I would be sorry to see he leave. He was much improved last season.

EJL

Holders

He tried hard and did improve. He never seemed to be Jol's favourite during their time at Tottenham and there was another negative reference he made that I can't recall the details of, so not really a surprise then but I hope he gets fixed up.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Reindeer

This really grinds my gears.  

Kelly is not up to the job and there are better players out there who are.  The last game against spurs, he was at fault for the opening goal and was piss poor throughout the game.  If that had been Senderos, the board would have melted down, but it wasn't and people still sing Kelly's praises.

Lucky to get a run in the team last year, but obviously not fancied by Jol.  Hope he finds a new club and goes on to see out his career comfortably elsewhere.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on July 12, 2012, 08:47:31 PM
Perhaps Clyne is on the cards?
I've heard we haven't made a bid. I've heard it's between Aston Villa and West Ham and that Villa are the favourites. Presumably he will be first choice there. He won't be here with Riether here now so I doubt he'd come here.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: The Moose on July 12, 2012, 10:07:31 PM
Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on July 12, 2012, 08:47:31 PM
Perhaps Clyne is on the cards?
I've heard we haven't made a bid. I've heard it's between Aston Villa and West Ham and that Villa are the favourites. Presumably he will be first choice there. He won't be here with Riether here now so I doubt he'd come here.

Where did you hear that?

On tuesday the local south london press said we were very much in the running.

The reason it could take so long is because it could all go to tribunal.

MJG

First off Kelly has not joined the squad as he was at the euros so gets extra time off.
On the other hand his contract has finished so he can do what he likes.
Also while  he did well last season and has been a solid 2nd-4th choice backup we can do better and should.
Not fussed if he's here or ends up at say Reading.

General

he's still on the clubs site - until that gets taken down then I wont bother thinking much about this. He was deemed to be pretty dependable last season and arguably had his best season with us last season. Why get rid of him. If they were planning on I would have though they would've terminated his contract along with Orlando Sa's.

Mr Fulham

Quote from: MJG on July 12, 2012, 10:39:29 PM
First off Kelly has not joined the squad as he was at the euros so gets extra time off.

I had asked Sarah Brookes about the likes of Dempsey and she didn't mention Kelly. Only said Dempsey, Duff and Schwarzer with some extra holidays.

I presume Kelly/BH Riise are off but are yet to find a new club.

Jack Fulham

Quote from: Reindeer on July 12, 2012, 09:56:57 PM

Kelly is not up to the job and there are better players out there who are.  The last game against spurs, he was at fault for the opening goal and was piss poor throughout the game.  If that had been Senderos, the board would have melted down, but it wasn't and people still sing Kelly's praises.

Lucky to get a run in the team last year, but obviously not fancied by Jol.  Hope he finds a new club and goes on to see out his career comfortably elsewhere.

the difference is that Senderos has competition for his place so when he makes a mistake, people can moan and ask why Hughes isn't playing. We didn't really have an alternative to Kelly this season as Baird has personal issues and Grygera got injured early. I think most people realise that Kelly is a limited player and probably the weakest link in the team.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Jack Fulham on July 13, 2012, 01:06:51 AM

Kelly is not up to the job and there are better players out there who are.  The last game against spurs, he was at fault for the opening goal and was piss poor throughout the game.  If that had been Senderos, the board would have melted down, but it wasn't and people still sing Kelly's praises.

Lucky to get a run in the team last year, but obviously not fancied by Jol.  Hope he finds a new club and goes on to see out his career comfortably elsewhere.

the difference is that Senderos has competition for his place so when he makes a mistake, people can moan and ask why Hughes isn't playing. We didn't really have an alternative to Kelly this season as Baird has personal issues and Grygera got injured early. I think most people realise that Kelly is a limited player and probably the weakest link in the team.
Hughes can play right back. Kelly was definitely the worst of our back four but he had plenty of faultless games. He also had some shockers. He isn't a starter but he's a good backup in my opinion. This is harsh.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: MontenegroWhite on July 13, 2012, 01:17:42 AM
Kelly did ok last year. I would prefer Grygera to be released. 
I agree. I think Grygera is the better player but he has a history of injuries and he's older than Kelly.

HatterDon

Kelly played well last season and, Mr. Reindeer, so did Senderos. Please don't use him as a club to bash other players in the squad to show that they're not as good as he is.

A little perspective perhaps?
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

valdeingruo

Quote from: HatterDon on July 13, 2012, 04:05:13 AM

Kelly played well last season and, Mr. Reindeer, so did Senderos. Please don't use him as a club to bash other players in the squad to show that they're not as good as he is.

A little perspective perhaps?

Right before i say something about a person i wonder if i could do better. As i am not a professional footballer it is really hard for me to criticize a performance, they are human just like us doing a job albeit a bit more fun one.
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

MasterHaynes

He played an awful lot of games last season for the first time since he has been with us and didn't have any shockers, yes he made some mistakes but so did Hangerland on several occasions. He also had some real stormers ancontributing a fair few assists, nearly scoring in one game towards the end of the season but for a great save from the keeper.

To say Jol did not fancy him is wrong, if that were the case he would not have benched Hughes preferring kelly at right back. Grygera was good but then suffered serious injury, out of the two I would go with Kelly he has proved he is a good commited squad player, Fulham through and through, happy to fight and wait for his opportunity unlike Grygera who is just playing to effectively for a pay cheque at the end of each month.

He is a solid player and deserves a place in the current squad on merit but at 29 like so many of last seasons squad, he is approaching the back end of his career and wants to play as much as possible and secure his future, if we are only offering a 1 year extension then I will understand if he decides to leave and move on.

If he leaves I have no doubt he will be missed along with the others from that special squad of players who got but achieved so much, hopefully the team spirit and work ethic built over the last 4 seasons which made us what we are has been passed on to the younger players who have broken through and last seasons signings.