News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Dumbing down or miserable old git?

Started by Rupert, July 16, 2012, 12:22:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rupert

I've got the radio on at work (Heart FM, not my idea), and inbetween the records I keep hearing the presenters referring to the Olympics, both in the news and in various competitions they keep running.

All very topical right now, so well and good, the thing is, they keep referring to "Team GB". Now, I find this is getting a little irritating. I daresay it is not the fault of the Heart people, presumably somebody at the top of the British Olympic committee has come up with this as some sort of corporate identity slogan (they probably have a simple, yet very expensive logo as well).

Am I the only one who is getting miffed by this? If so, I'm obviously turning into a miserable old git, fair enough, it had to happen sooner or later, or is this really just dumbing down, pandering to those who can't remember/pronounce "British Olympic competitor", and something that bothers other good Fulham folk?

By the way, if there are any Northern Irish in the Olympic squad (or if we expect anyone from Ulser to support our lot) then it is inaccurate too, it should be "team UK" as it is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Yes, I'm probably turning into 092.gif
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

jarv

It should be team England and Wales. There are no N.Irish or Scots.

Jack Fulham

Burt

I thought it was UK wide, and on that basis "GO TEAM GB!".

Gozorich

domprague

I'm fed up with the obsession with British medal hopes. It's about the world's sportsmen and women coming to London to compete in peace. Not the winning but the taking part that counts.
Yes, I know I sound like a dinosaur.
You came all this way ... and you lost, and you lost.

Alan

I think you're right Rupert. I get the feeling that it's some sort of marketing tool, trying to sound cool enough for the younger generation.
Why would you kill it, kill it, kill it before it dies?

TheDaddy

Working for the underground i've had the olympics shoved down me throat for the last two years even getting the chance to visit the site,Great day looking at the entire fleet of JCBs and different degrees of piles of mud.i've now switched off the blooming thing no interest what so ever.The only challenge i am up for is making sure everyone gets to there destination.
"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "

HatterDon

Quote from: domprague on July 17, 2012, 08:54:21 AM
I'm fed up with the obsession with British medal hopes. It's about the world's sportsmen and women coming to London to compete in peace. Not the winning but the taking part that counts.
Yes, I know I sound like a dinosaur.

You sound exactly like a dinosaur that I agre with 100%. Medal tables and the concentration on them is what drove me away from the Olympics.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Berserker

I think i must be a female Dino then. Also my thoughts will be with The Daddy as you have an inenviable task ahead
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

TheDaddy

Quote from: Berserker on July 17, 2012, 07:14:09 PM
I think i must be a female Dino then. Also my thoughts will be with The Daddy as you have an inenviable task ahead

I did ask if i could work from home but to no avail. Some reports were getting is that in some areas of the network they expect people will wait for up to an hour to get on a train THATS WITH ALL SERVICES RUNNING A GOOD SERVICE .All i will say to the working/travelling public is good luck.Oh please remember were there to help we don't own or run the trains a big main in his control room does ! we just work through and around the every day problems of running a service thats old and under funded .... 

"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "