https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham bid for Douglas

Started by twang, July 19, 2012, 12:58:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twang

Duo join Douglas bidding

Fulham and West Ham lodge bids for Newcastle target

Sky Sports understands that Fulham and West Ham United have both made offers for FC Twente defender Douglas.

Sky Sports revealed earlier this week that Newcastle United had firmed up their interest in the Brazilian-born Douglas by lodging a bid.

But the Magpies have rival interest from the Premier League and we can confirm both Fulham and West Ham have tabled offers.

Douglas, 24, will gain Dutch nationality next month which means he will be able to play in the Premier League without any need for a work permit.

He has been linked with clubs in Italy and Germany, but it is believed he would relish the prospect of playing in England.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/7913533/Duo-join-Douglas-bidding

Lighthouse

I wonder why? He is a big central defender. Do we need one? Is somebody going? Let the rumours of Brede joining Hull City Commence.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

General

haha. love how this got published the day after we spoke about it on here...

Not sure whether I believe that we've lodged a bid or whether Sky are just trying to make news.

I'd imagine we're going to be moving toward a Senderos and Douglas CB pairing though if it is true as despite who much I am a fan of Hangeland and Hughes it keeps in with Jols task of bringing the age of the squad down as Douglas is only 24.

Get him on board, play him with Brede and or Hughes in cup games and a few league games next season and then if we get into europe do the same there... he'll be 25 and starting to get into the best years of his career just in time for Brede and Hughes to retire (which in a year or two you can see happening)

Watch this space I suppose.

zzamora

Quote from: General on July 19, 2012, 01:09:24 PM

Not sure whether I believe that we've lodged a bid or whether Sky are just trying to make news.

I'd imagine we're going to be moving toward a Senderos and Douglas CB pairing though if it is true as despite who much I am a fan of Hangeland and Hughes it keeps in with Jols task of bringing the age of the squad down as Douglas is only 24.

Get him on board, play him with Brede and or Hughes in cup games and a few league games next season and then if we get into europe do the same there... he'll be 25 and starting to get into the best years of his career just in time for Brede and Hughes to retire (which in a year or two you can see happening)

Heres a revolutionary idea...

Hangeland and Douglas.

May as well improve on the quality alongside him.

twang

Quote from: Lighthouse on July 19, 2012, 01:04:46 PM
I wonder why? He is a big central defender. Do we need one? Is somebody going? Let the rumours of Brede joining Hull City Commence.

I have no idea why Big Phil Senderos isn't in Germany (or have I just missed him in the photos?) but I've said before that I wouldn't be surprised if he was sold. Saw him being linked with Betis a while ago.

TonyGilroy

No reason why Hangeland couldn't have 5 more good years and I hope he has them with us. We won't get better.

If we have too many good players they'll have to compete for places which is the way it should be. If we CAN get Douglas we should.

Admin

My main concern has been defence. Brede is 31, Aaron Hughes 33 and we've only really got Senderos as backup or to take Hughe's place. I know Reiter or what ever his name is can play across the back but we do need to invest in younger players for that position. Douglas fits the bill perfectly both in age and caliber.

Mr Fulham

Just call him Rita, Admin, that will do it.

Senderos is not in Germany at the moment. But he did play in a pre-EURO friendly versus Germany....but then Schwarzer also played for the Aussies against the Danes. Will try and ask Sarah Brookes...

Don't think there's a chance he'll pick us above Newcastle (ambition) and West Ham (wages)...I think midfield wings and up front should be our main priority.

twang

Quote from: General on July 19, 2012, 01:09:24 PM

Douglas is a player of the kind of quality that you make room for if there isn't any. I very much doubt he'd come here if he weren't promised regular first team football.

fulham1234

Would love this to happen, remember watching him against fulham in the Europa League last season and was very good! Although it seems we're being linked with just about half of FC Twente team so unsure about how true it is!

OZ-WHITE

The reason we are being linked with a centre back is that Real Betis has made inquiries about Philippe Senderos , makes sense from the clubs point of view to have a replacement lined up if Senderos does go

If it wasn't for the medication I,d be chewing on your skin

MJG

Quote from: Mr Fulham on July 19, 2012, 01:22:42 PM

Don't think there's a chance he'll pick us above Newcastle (ambition) and West Ham (wages)...
Thats how I read the situation as well.

tommyffc

Quote from: MJG on July 19, 2012, 01:39:07 PM
Quote from: Mr Fulham on July 19, 2012, 01:22:42 PM

Don't think there's a chance he'll pick us above Newcastle (ambition) and West Ham (wages)...
Thats how I read the situation as well.

I'd be surprised too - wonder if Ruiz/any other we get from Twente could have an influence over him.

Would be nice to have a team like this for cup matches/backup - plus he fits Jol's average age lowering policy:

(I'm really bored at work haha)

Supermitch

Would love this to be true, he was excellent against us in the Europa last season.  Like all the stories though re arrivals and departures will believe it when they've signed on the dotted line.

b+w geezer

I may be wrong, wouldn't be the first time, but surely.....Senderos isn't in Germany because he's in the Olympics. Same for Kasami.

MJG

He's not in the squad list for the Olympics.

twang

Quote from: b+w geezer on July 19, 2012, 01:54:47 PM
I may be wrong, wouldn't be the first time, but surely.....Senderos isn't in Germany because he's in the Olympics. Same for Kasami.

Don't think he's in the Swiss squad actually. Benaglio, Klose (Tim, not Miro obviously) and Hochstrasser are their three players over the age of 23.

Chesh

This would be an excellent signing.

His assuredness against us in both matches was standout noticeable, and I too am hoping that Ruiz can have an influence.

Tenuous at the moment though...
Made in Hammersmith (1968)

rusty shackleford

Im glad we got Ruiz when we did, cause if it was this year he probably would have chosen Newcastle after the season they had

Azeedo

Douglas is a hustler and very aggressive, may be the kind of back we need.  But he also makes stupid mistakes once in a while.