watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

I genuinely don't like knocking our own players

Started by mrpimlico, July 23, 2012, 04:21:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

God The Mechanic

The best thing he ever did for Fulham was the shot that was going roughly 54 yards wide against Juve that took a deflection off a defender and went in.  If he could shoot straight the rest of that European run probably wouldn't have happened :P

mrpimlico

Quote from: EtuhuForNigeria on July 23, 2012, 06:37:37 PM
I hate these irrational rants people have about players. Sure, I can understand why you might not like him, and yes, i agree he is very limited in some respects- mostly in his creative sense and can also make errors. HOWEVER, to say that he rarely tackles and has poor spacial (positional as far as you meant it) sense is just not true. If he can only do two things, these are them.

It just shows you as either not having much of a knowledge about football or being very irrational- critical of everything a player does if you do not rate him.

You know, I think that a little unfair. I decided to post about a player, not on today's defeat, when we all sometimes make and always read ridiculous knee jerk posts. I made the point because as sad as it sounds, I've watched him really closely because I can't believe sometimes he plays in the premiership and I watch him to try and work out what I'm missing. I've honestly never been able to work it out. He seems unbelievably ball focused.
As it happens, I'm a level 2 coach and have been coaching for 5 years..been invited many times down to Motspur park to view and learn training techniques in the academy.

MrFantastic

Etuhu is not as bad and better to have him than get some unproven player from other leagues yea
My friend has a trophy wife, I guess it wasn't first place.

epsomraver

Quote from: mrpimlico on July 23, 2012, 07:55:37 PM
I hate these irrational rants people have about players. Sure, I can understand why you might not like him, and yes, i agree he is very limited in some respects- mostly in his creative sense and can also make errors. HOWEVER, to say that he rarely tackles and has poor spacial (positional as far as you meant it) sense is just not true. If he can only do two things, these are them.

It just shows you as either not having much of a knowledge about football or being very irrational- critical of everything a player does if you do not rate him.

You know, I think that a little unfair. I decided to post about a player, not on today's defeat, when we all sometimes make and always read ridiculous knee jerk posts. I made the point because as sad as it sounds, I've watched him really closely because I can't believe sometimes he plays in the premiership and I watch him to try and work out what I'm missing. I've honestly never been able to work it out. He seems unbelievably ball focused.
As it happens, I'm a level 2 coach and have been coaching for 5 years..been invited many times down to Motspur park to view and learn training techniques in the academy.

Shame you didn't go then, you could have spoken to Dickson himself and told him of his shortcomings, he was a player for a role Woy wanted him for and he did us proud l in that role, Hughes changed his role pushing hi forward, still suited his game, Jol with his round and round type of football doesn't suit his style, a  football coach should  understand that without slagging off his ability as a footballer.

mrpimlico

Quote from: epsomraver on July 23, 2012, 09:49:43 PM

I did go..many times. It was the academy not first team.

Fanatical fulham fan makes genuine critisism of fulham player, not just after a game, not personally insulting, not knee jerk just a genuine personal feeling of the guys footballing ability based on many hours of watching him play. I just don't think he's much cop. Off the ball, I think he is really very average. Just to level it out, I've also watched many hours of Moussa Dembele and think he is pretty damn good...I also happen to think the skilful, playmaking, crafted and wonderfully talented Dembele is a far better tackler than the strong tackling defensive lynchpin Etuhu.

Shame you didn't go then, you could have spoken to Dickson himself and told him of his shortcomings, he was a player for a role Woy wanted him for and he did us proud l in that role, Hughes changed his role pushing hi forward, still suited his game, Jol with his round and round type of football doesn't suit his style, a  football coach should  understand that without slagging off his ability as a footballer.

EJL

Shame you didn't go then, you could have spoken to Dickson himself and told him of his shortcomings, he was a player for a role Woy wanted him for and he did us proud l in that role, Hughes changed his role pushing hi forward, still suited his game, Jol with his round and round type of football doesn't suit his style, a  football coach should  understand that without slagging off his ability as a footballer.
:plus one:

Patterson

I think it's unfair to level criticism of a man who is asked to a very particular job and does it well IMO.  I understand he's not a player with any of the "Hollywood" skills and doesn't look like a Premier League player on the ball, but as has been mentioned beforehand, he's a large physical presence.  Last I checked, despite all the skill players on hand, the EPL is still the most physical top league out there.  To have him as that assurance on the bench is an asset.  I'm not saying he should play more than he does, because we certainly have more dynamic players in mind for the MF roles, but if we dropped him or offered him a transfer, I feel that many clubs would be knocking at his door gladly.

If he plays within his limitations, he's a solid player to have bossing midfield and chipping in on defence.
A Canadian supporting Fulham...wait...what?!

NogoodBoyo

I"I genuinely don't like knocking our players......BUT......."  was the one word missing from the title that would have explained it all........
BUT...
But me no buts!
Nogood "Shakespeare, isit" Boyo

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: EJL on July 23, 2012, 07:13:58 PM
Quote from: The Moose on July 23, 2012, 06:34:30 PM
He had a great run of games at one point but then he returned to his normal self. His tackling is ability is surprisingly poor for a defensive player, he is clumsy, very slow to turn, poor at marking, shows poor judgment lunging in time after time, isn't technical enough to fit in Jol's side.
He should leave with his head held high.
Right, so you've just slated absolutely every element of his game ... but it's fine because he can leave with his head held high, right?
He can leave knowing he was an instrumental part of our Europa Cup run, not to mention our highest league finish in our history.

EtuhuForNigeria

Quote from: EJL on July 23, 2012, 10:23:52 PM

:plus one:
Unfortunately that is one of the shortcomings of the English football system. If a player doesn't perform under a certain system they tend to be completely disregarded, even if he has potential whether it be in the future or under a different system or role.

A very good reply though epsomraver, you hit the nail on the head.

HatterDon

I close my eyes and fervently pray for the day that Dickson Etuhu is our least skillful and least useful midfielder.

Over the last two or three seasons we've seen article after article that shows that every negative aspect of his game is NOT borne out by statistics. If all our players played to their abilities to the degree Etuhu has, we'd be a solid 6th or 7th place club every year.

Dickson is limited talent-wise, but so is every other player on our books. Of course, since I also hate slagging off our players, I seldom start a thread designed to do just that.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

MichealJackson

Well you know, sometimes you need a big, strong nigerian from peckham to get in there and sort things out. Etuhu must stay.

Herbie

I don't see the point in wanting him to leave. What would it achieve, especially with Gecov now departed as well?

Yes, he can't pass more than a simple ball, but as others have mentioned, that's not his role. He is best at breaking up play and we don't really have anyone else that can do the job. I'm not saying he's in the first XI, but he still has a role in the squad when we need to relieve the pressure.

Plus, who is going to remind us what the score is?

TonyGilroy

Quote from: Herbie on July 24, 2012, 07:23:59 AM
Plus, who is going to remind us what the score is?

With a team full of Dicksons at their best it's always 0-0.

b+w geezer

Quote from: Herbie on July 24, 2012, 07:23:59 AM
Yes, he can't pass more than a simple ball, but as others have mentioned, that's not his role. He is best at breaking up play and we don't really have anyone else that can do the job.
There was a period when Baird seemed a candidate for that (and with superior passing) but maybe that has passed, in which case point taken, unless Reo-Coker were to arrive. In order for that to happen, Dickson would probably need to leave first and why should he? I'm also in the `keep unless better turns up' camp.

The Bronsons

It's quite encouraging that so much sense is talked about Dickson on this thread. I'm with Michael Jackson on this. I never thought I'd say that.

Rupert

I see the original poster has closed his account. Genuinely doesn't like knocking our own players (but...) and equally genuinely can't take being knocked himself, it appears. Or am I being harsh here?

I'm with the "Dickson is very good at what he does" camp, and if he does move on I will miss him.

:group hug:
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

FulhamMic

It's worth keeping Etuhu on the books simply for when we play Stoke!

He's very good at what he does, and has often been (especially under Hodgson) an unsung hero. Play him to his strengths and he shines, don't (just like any other player) and he won't - it's not rocket science.

NogoodBoyo

Original poster's gone?  If you can't handle it, don't dish it maybe.
Nogood "good for Etuhu I say, isit" Boyo

ScalleysDad

Blimey this thread has caused as much angst as it did the last time Etuhu was 'discussed' at length. No other player splits the board quite as much so can we not just call it a draw, close it and move on.