watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

My thoughts on Wycombe Wanderers.

Started by Admin, July 29, 2012, 06:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admin

Firstly, what a nightmare getting across London due to the Olympic bike race. Thought I was clever enough to duck and dive through it all, but every back street I seemed to know of was shut off. In the end, I headed towards the A3 to Portsmouth then shot up the M25.

Nice little club Wycombe, tucked out the way on the end of an industrial estate with parking right outside the ground. £5 all day which I didn't think was too bad. Wycombe didn't bring many fans so they swapped their home end with their away end to allocate ours which in all honesty, wasn't a bad turn out for us. It ended up with us being in the all seated stadium with their fans in the terraces. It felt like royalty had come to town.

Spoke to a few of their fans outside the ground. They were very complimentary about us asking questions about Martin Jol, our players, how far we'd come as a club and the Europa League final. It certainly hit home that this used to be us not so many moons ago. Their club shop was good, their facilities weren't bad, good food, drink, tidy little stadium with a family club feel to it.

As for the game, we never really had to get out of second gear. The Orange kit looks awesome I must say. We pushed the ball around like a light training session and you could sense that Jol insisted that we never over stretched.

Firstly, I was very impressed with Petric. The guy oozes class and you can tell he's a professional. Nothing flash, just gets on with his game and you can tell he will be a very useful signing for us. Scores goals, looks strong and is very comfortable on the ball. An upgrade on Johnson by miles but my only issue is that he will need to play with a target man in the Premiership. Something we don't have as yet. He meant his goal by the way, looked up, picked his spot and scored.

Reither, bit small for my likening but had a decent game. Again, nothing flash, got up and down the flank well and provided the cross for Sidders goal. He might struggle against better opposition, reminded me very much of a Nicky Shorey type player a steady Eddy.

Diarra, just world class that's all I'm going to say about the guy. Commanded midfield, put his foot on the ball, has leadership qualities and passed for fun.

Brian, Brian, Brian. What are we going to do with this guy? Strutted around like he just had his hair layered, topped up his tan on holiday and had an extra cap full of fabric conditioner put in his kit. Got knocked off the ball far too easily at times and rolled around on the floor like a poof when tackled by the Wycombe players. On the other hand, he pulled off moments of brilliance where he looked world class when he almost chipped the keeper and scored that brilliant free kick. Bit of a conundrum this guy but I'm tipping him for a very good season. Won't be one of our most aggressive players on the park but I can see some cheeky goals coming up.

Tue Ne Bangra? Far from ready yet, looked busy, lost the ball far too many times and clearly needs work. Reminded me of a clumsy Boa Morte but with out the aggression. Will get murdered in the Premiership by an average left back and lost his bottle in front of goal on 2 occasions. He's young and will hopefully come good.

Kacaniklic showed moments of brilliance but also moments of stupidity. Lost the ball to easily at times and was muscled off the ball by the Wycombe players. His crossing wasn't brilliant and tried to show boat rather than play simple football. Both he and Frei will need to step up this season if they intend to make any impact. Again, they will get murdered by better opposition.

Riise has left off where he picked up mid of last season. Looked very comfortable on the ball, strong, bags of pace but never got out of 1st gear. He never needed to. Hughes and Hangeland cool as you like my only problem is that Hughes is 33 now.

On a whole we don't look to bad. We've certainly changed the side and are playing a different, more attacking system. As we are, we won't pull up any trees but if we are going to push for a top 10 or Europe League spot again, we will need more players.

For a start we missed Dempsey. We will if he leaves and there has to be a good replacement bought. Without his presence on the pitch, we're a totally different team and it shows. If it's true Fulham have just offered him the most expensive contract in their history, then it shows how desperate Fulham are to hang on to the guy. Martin Jol stated at the Metropolitan Police game that he likes Clint and wants him to stay. He likes anyone that scores goals.

Murphy again we miss him and his leadership. Now that he's gone, it's apparent how good he really was even at 34. I'm not going to bang on about it, he's gone now but I think they broke the mould when they made this guy. We'll struggle to replace him.

Target man, it's clear we need one and Jol is working hard to bring one in.

Width, we still can't cross balls. Like I said, Frei and Kacaniklic are not ready yet and I think we still need a left winger, someone who can murder defences and put in a good cross for our forwards, not sure if Rodallega will fit in here?

Central defender, I really think we need a younger model, we're far to old across the back. Riise 31, Hughes 33, Hangeland 31, Reither 29. A certain Mr. Douglas or Samba would go down a treat.

Mr Fulham

Thanks for the report, Admin. Interesting bit about the young wingers, I hope they all come good eventually. From what I've seen of Riether and Petric during their German days, I can second what you say about them. Nothing flashy, nothing special, but decent 'workers' for a team. Petric maybe a bit leightweight on his own up top, he always needed another player next to him during his HSV days. Riether could struggle against better, pacier opposition, i.E. the likes of Nani or Suarez.

However, you've got to learn the names properly. It's Riether, Bryan and Tue Na Bangna.  086.gif

But otherwise, thank you so much for this report. :Haynes The Maestro:

SouthfieldWhite

That is the away end you thicko ;-) the terrace end is and has always been the home end, glad you got parked up ok, that road is normally a knightmare to get out of after the game, thanks for the report though, had every intentions of going myself my pulled a muscle in my shoulder and been in pain all weekend, think the next oppotunity to see the team play will be MK Dons away

Think kacniklic will have a bright future, Banga has done ok but as you said, no where near ready yet

The futures bright, the futures black and white

fulhamben

you mention we cant cross balls, are we still messing about with the reverse wingers
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Admin

Quote from: SouthfieldWhite on July 29, 2012, 07:24:24 PM
That is the away end you thicko ;-) the terrace end is and has always been the home end, glad you got parked up ok, that road is normally a knightmare to get out of after the game, thanks for the report though, had every intentions of going myself my pulled a muscle in my shoulder and been in pain all weekend, think the next oppotunity to see the team play will be MK Dons away

Think kacniklic will have a bright future, Banga has done ok but as you said, no where near ready yet

The futures bright, the futures black and white

Oh right, I only said that as a Wycombe guy outside the ground said they'd swapped the ends around? Oh well, he must of seen me coming  fp.gif

TonyGilroy

I went with Wycombe supporting friends and enjoyed myself. There's side street parking 10 or so minutes away and the supposedly members only club bar had plenty of Fulham supporters in. A really friendly club and a good place to watch football.

I more or less agree with Admin's assesment but would be more generous to Frei and less so to Kaca who I would have expected to do much better.

Wycombe were content to pack their defence and try to contain us so our defence had nothing to do. The pace was slow and tackling friendly so I'm not sure what either team really got out of the match. I would have thought we needed opponents who might test us and Wycombe a team they could beat.

Nice to be at football though.

TonyGilroy

Quote from: Admin on July 29, 2012, 07:29:17 PM

Oh right, I only said that as a Wycombe guy outside the ground said they'd swapped the ends around? Oh well, he must of seen me coming  fp.gif

When I went for League games 15+ years ago we always had the seated end.

HatterDon

thanks a lot for this, Admin. I get to watch almost all of Fulham's matches over here, but never see the pre-season or the yoof matches. I appreciate the information. It helps give me a better idea of what we may see in the regular season.

A quick question about Petric ... is he a 90 minute forward, or more a Erik Nevland type that is best coming in about 60-75 minutes into the match. We've got some talented players, but we haven't had a clinical finisher since Erik the Viking left. I'm hoping Petric can fill this role.

Anyhow, thanks again.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Admin

Quote from: HatterDon on July 29, 2012, 11:25:55 PM
thanks a lot for this, Admin. I get to watch almost all of Fulham's matches over here, but never see the pre-season or the yoof matches. I appreciate the information. It helps give me a better idea of what we may see in the regular season.

A quick question about Petric ... is he a 90 minute forward, or more a Erik Nevland type that is best coming in about 60-75 minutes into the match. We've got some talented players, but we haven't had a clinical finisher since Erik the Viking left. I'm hoping Petric can fill this role.

Anyhow, thanks again.

He looks like a starter to me. Not sure if he'll complete 90 minutes or not but the boy certainly has something about him. When he gets on the ball he just looks so cool, in control and that he'll make something happen, even out of the blue. A bit dempsey like if the game gets boring, he'll stick a head/foot in to get you that goal out of nothing. He'll also do well as an impact sub if needed.

Like I said, my only problem is that he'll need to play up top with a target man. Zamora would have been ideal but I'm hoping we can improve there also.

sipwell

Thanks for this update! I am glad we are back in the "football" part of the year. The "will she come to Fulham" transfer yada yada was getting on my nerves...

Did the team as a team play good? You mentioned individual players but were the boys working for one another and giving good passes?
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

cottage cheese

what about set pieces?..I havnt had a chance to watch much of our pre season, but last season we were so poor at corners and free kicks and asking has anyone seen an signs that we have worked on them yet?

Snibbo

Younger central defender?  Don't forget Senderos. Only 25.

Jambo

Quote from: Snibbo on July 30, 2012, 11:54:48 AM

For what its worth Big Phil is 27.
We all see the game differently, FoF has taught me that.

@jambohunt

http://jameshuntbw.blogspot.co.uk/

JBH

Where is he??????????

Jambo

Oh and thanks for the report Admin.  2 players added to the that and I think we will be good to go.
We all see the game differently, FoF has taught me that.

@jambohunt

http://jameshuntbw.blogspot.co.uk/

HatterDon

Quote from: JBH on July 30, 2012, 11:58:58 AM

Where is he??????????

Olympics, I believe

Admin

Quote from: HatterDon on July 30, 2012, 05:54:38 PM

Where is he??????????

Olympics, I believe

Nope apparently not, this one is a bit strange.

HatterDon

Quote from: Admin on July 30, 2012, 06:38:27 PM
Quote from: HatterDon on July 30, 2012, 05:54:38 PM

Where is he??????????

Olympics, I believe

Nope apparently not, this one is a bit strange.

Has the club said anything about injuries, compassionate leave? It seemed to me that he solidified his position as a key player under Jol last season. Hmmmmm.

MasterHaynes

Very strange, just checked and he was named in the 50 but omitted from the last 18, he has not been seen in any of the training photos nor on any of the match day squads, did not travel to germany and has not gone to Switzerland by the look of it which is even stranger as its his home country. Halliche has been on tour and is in Switzerland but Jol has said he is looking to loan him out this season as he has 5-6 centre backs so if we count Hughes Hangeland Baird Reither he still needs Senderos to make 5 unless he includes Burn??

NogoodBoyo

The plot - it browns, it seasons, it thickens.
Nogood "Bristo, isit" Boyo