more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

“We ain’t got no money, we ain’t got no money da la, la, la – da la, la, la”

Started by Admin, August 09, 2012, 11:41:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admin

"We ain't got no money, we ain't got no money da la, la, la – da la, la, la"

Well that's my thoughts anyway. We seem to be ducking and diving this summer picking up older, better quality players on bosmans, but we seem to be losing out on other players when it comes to raw pound notes.

We're trying our luck putting in really low bids for players and in some cases taking the right micky like with Wittingham, Rhodes, Jarvis etc.

We're desperately keen to keep hold of Dempsey and Dembele' but I recon there is only money available if one of these is sold. We've also done our best to get other players off the wage bill to make room.

On a brighter note, United missing out on Mourra could give old red nose the green light to come after Dembele' now. Watch this space and don't expect any 10 million quid signings this summer..

086.gif :hook:

AlFayedsChequebook

Why do people think this?

Not many clubs are spending, we have signings we need to make but are not throwing money out the window. Jol has openly said he is looking to bring in more players, why would he bother saying that if there was no money there? He also laughed off the suggestions of McFadden and Benayoun, so we are not even after those players

Just because we bring in players on free's does not mean that we don't have money to spend.

Look at last year, people were banging on about how we were poor, moaning that QPR were getting all the great signings (HA!) and then we brought in Ruiz at significant cost.

No one knows what we have to spend, but Fulham are well run and spend money when needed. We are currently rebuilding so I am sure the powers that be will invest, because not doing so would be too dangerous for the clubs long term prem future.

TonyGilroy

I think the problem may be that if we keep the Dems we only need squad players but if we lose one or both we need high quality replacements.

Reo-Coker for example would be a good squad player to have but not as a replacement for Dembele. Worth having but not at an exorbitent wage.

A sale gives us the money but also gives us the need to spend it.

FFC1987

Well we have recently announced a stadium increase which will cost around 30m so I dont expect any big signings. I do however expect a few new faces and this season of not spending wouldn't buck the trend as we generally push money every 2 years anyway.

You make selling Dembele sound like a good thing? Surely keeping him at all costs is our strategy?

To be honest in reference to the 'taking the micky' offers for players such as Jarvis, Wittingham and Rhodes, surely their bids that don't reflect the current market but really, SHOULD reflect the market? I'm sorry but 6m + add ons for Rhodes is ridiculous. These players haven't really done much and to be tested at a higher level, I think we have saved the cash to not get drawn into a financial frenzy . The market is inflated, I'm happy we spent next to nothing on Petric and Hugo and not say all or half on a championship/league 1/relegated player.

cottage cheese

i think we do have the money but

spending over 10 mil on marlet, ruiz and johnson may be the reason we may not spend big for a while. Every player we have spent big on has failed to deliver.

Ruiz has backing from some, but I have watched him over pre season and he spends a lot of the time on the floor and is very lighweight still. Unless he works on his physical side like dempsey and dembele have then he wont be able to perfom to the level we all expect.

We are a lot more careful in buying players and as said above we are not going to spend big on rhodes etc as they are not proven!

Money is there but unless the player is the perfect fit into our system then we will not just splash out.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: cottage cheese on August 09, 2012, 11:56:24 AM

spending over 10 mil on marlet, ruiz and johnson may be the reason we may not spend big for a while. Every player we have spent big on has failed to deliver.

Ruiz has backing from some, but I have watched him over pre season and he spends a lot of the time on the floor and is very lighweight still. Unless he works on his physical side like dempsey and dembele have then he wont be able to perfom to the level we all expect.

We are a lot more careful in buying players and as said above we are not going to spend big on rhodes etc as they are not proven!

Money is there but unless the player is the perfect fit into our system then we will not just splash out.

I thought Dempsey was the one who 'falls over too much'

LRCN

Admin

Quote from: ~lork on August 09, 2012, 12:06:20 PM
we have money and also aj cost far less than 10m

AJ was 8 million rising to 10 with add ons etc. Not sure how many add ons Eveton got as he was always injured.

epsomraver

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on August 09, 2012, 12:01:44 PM

He does.then sits and sulks usually, never sure which " Dempsey" will turn out sometimes.

zzamora

It depends what you consider to be "failing to deliver".

Without question, Marlet was awful. Accepted.

But how much money did AJ bring into the club? After all, it was his goals in the 08-09 season that got us that European place and a high league finishing. From that Europa League run we gained quite a few fans, lots of money and reputation. In terms of what they have brought to us (more tickets, more merchandise, more fans, higher placed finishes as we attract better players) AJ has, in my mind at least, payed back his transfer fee. Not once, but threefold (at least). He might be some of the smartest business this club has done- he started this change.

In terms of Ruiz, you clearly have not been watching him over preseason, or been watching Spanish footballers in the PL if you think that being light weight is still a problem. He has significantly "bulked up" over the summer, and seems to be reveling in his new role. He will not be branded a failure at the end of this season, I'm sure of it. David Silva is hardly the strongest man, but he was without doubt one of the finest playmakers in the PL last season.

Lighthouse

I agree with Jol that we need another three players at least. If either Rodders or Petric are injured we are in deep trouble up front. We look very thin in depth and quality in some positions. Jol is not hiding from the fact. Hope the rest of the club believe it.

However it is fairly clear that if we do have the money we are being very careful by picking up players on a free or out of contract. Bottom line as always is the 10 million pound 19 year old player is not a sure bet to be succesful any more than the 34 year old coughing over weight free transfer.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Jack Fulham

Most fouled player in the premier league last season. Dempsey has perfected the art of winning a freekick.

I like to think the money we haven't spent on transfers will go towards new contracts for Dempsey and Dembele but they're yet to sign so I remain sceptical.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: Jack Fulham on August 09, 2012, 12:59:32 PM

Most fouled player in the premier league last season. Dempsey has perfected the art of winning a freekick.

I like to think the money we haven't spent on transfers will go towards new contracts for Dempsey and Dembele but they're yet to sign so I remain sceptical.

Yes, Dempsey is an excellent diver. This is one of the aspects of his game that I really enjoy watching live, because you can see the other players (usually a defender) irritation at Dempsey build during the match.

This is yet another reason why I dont want him to play against Fulham in future, because it will really wind me up when he is doing it against us!

Mr_Moon

Quote from: ddeuce on August 09, 2012, 12:49:29 PM

But how much money did AJ bring into the club? After all, it was his goals in the 08-09 season that got us that European place and a high league finishing. From that Europa League run we gained quite a few fans, lots of money and reputation. In terms of what they have brought to us (more tickets, more merchandise, more fans, higher placed finishes as we attract better players) AJ has, in my mind at least, payed back his transfer fee. Not once, but threefold (at least). He might be some of the smartest business this club has done- he started this change.

Sorry but all of that is just wrong. In 08-09 we scored 39 goals, a measly amount, yet it was our organisation and defence that should be be drawing praise as we only conceded 34 goals which was the 4th best in the division. Andy Johnson scored 7 league goals, that's hardly phenomenal and doesn't deserve the fawning you're giving him. Dempsey scored the same number of league goals as him, where's his praise? After all, he was top scorer in the great escape season, something which prevented the club from relegation and potentially a precarious financial situation. Not that there's even a measure for it, but AJ didn't bring any more money to the club than Schwarzer, Hangeland or even Etuhu did? No. You're also doing a huge discredit to Hodgson who I think might just have a slightly better claim to 'starting this change'.

TonyGilroy

Hodgson's team did wonderfully well for the club and Johnson was a part of that team.

LRCN

Quote from: Admin on August 09, 2012, 12:18:19 PM
Quote from: ~lork on August 09, 2012, 12:06:20 PM
we have money and also aj cost far less than 10m

AJ was 8 million rising to 10 with add ons etc. Not sure how many add ons Eveton got as he was always injured.

was he not 6 rising to 10, and we only paid about 7.5m of that?

zzamora

Quote from: Mr_Moon on August 09, 2012, 01:21:27 PM
Quote from: ddeuce on August 09, 2012, 12:49:29 PM

Sorry but all of that is just wrong. In 08-09 we scored 39 goals, a measly amount, yet it was our organisation and defence that should be be drawing praise as we only conceded 34 goals which was the 4th best in the division. Andy Johnson scored 7 league goals, that's hardly phenomenal and doesn't deserve the fawning you're giving him. Dempsey scored the same number of league goals as him, where's his praise? After all, he was top scorer in the great escape season, something which prevented the club from relegation and potentially a precarious financial situation. Not that there's even a measure for it, but AJ didn't bring any more money to the club than Schwarzer, Hangeland or even Etuhu did? No. You're also doing a huge discredit to Hodgson who I think might just have a slightly better claim to 'starting this change'.

I'm not saying he single-handedely brought home the europa position, but was an important part of it and so in my mind shouldn't be branded a failure. He brought back his transfer fee getting us to Europe and what that then brought us.

Jambo

Who knows what we have available to spend.  I know that I would have liked a couple of new additions in by now but at the same time we only speculate on what the press speculates as we do our business very much behind closed downs.  I wouldn't be surprised if we spent £10m-£15m on players by the end of the window.  Looking back over the windows we have tended to do our major business late on so its all guess work at the moment.
We all see the game differently, FoF has taught me that.

@jambohunt

http://jameshuntbw.blogspot.co.uk/

btings

I think we have money, but if Dempsey goes we will have more, and if Dembele goes we may have much more, and in either case we will also have new holes to fill.  It's a tricky situation to navigate, and I don't mind Jol moving slowly and carefully, especially since his knowledge of overseas players seems to be pretty good.