https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

jol on dempsey

Started by stokesy, August 18, 2012, 05:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mccscratch

Quote from: Mr Fulham on August 18, 2012, 07:25:03 PM
I'd love him to stay
We really showed off today but I think Clint still offers us something we currently don't have in our squad. He is still our best player and I'd be over the moon if he stays with us.

You know, I don't buy into these fine/refuse to play kind of thing.
We're protecting him and Dempsey's agent is generating a fair bit of noise.

It's not over until Jan Molby sings...you never know.

Looks like Danish Jol who ate too many Danish....   :005:

Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise

White Noise

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/8001789/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Jol holds Dempsey hopes

Boss refuses to admit midfielder's pending exit is a formality

By Jamie Casey.   Last Updated: August 18, 2012 7:12pm

Martin Jol: Has not given up on Clint Dempsey's Fulham future

Fulham manager Martin Jol still hopes to hang on to contract rebel Clint Dempsey despite seeing his 'new team' thump Norwich 5-0 in their Premier League opener.

Dempsey has refused to play for the Cottagers as he bids to force a move away from the club, with Liverpool known to be interested in his services.

Jol described the situation as 'embarrassing' earlier in the week, but is optimistic the American will perform a U-turn and stay with the club.

"Hopefully, in the future, he can be involved in the team again," Jol told Sky Sports following Fulham's emphatic win at Craven Cottage.

"Clint scored 17 league goals last season but he wasn't there today. It's not easy for us, it's not easy for the team but today they showed they can do the business.

"We were open about it - the other players have to stand up and give a bit more in their productivity and their goals," he added.

"We've always had goals in this team but, before, they never really showed it.

"Moussa Dembele is a very good player but would only score two or three goals on average, so he should stand up, for example."

Rout

Damien Duff broke the deadlock before a Mladen Petric brace either side of half-time put the hosts in charge.

Further goals from Alex Kacaniklic and Steve Sidwell, who netted a late penalty, confirmed Fulham's dominance.

Jol believes his new-look strike-force came good in the end, despite making a slow start to proceedings.

"It's a new team," claimed Jol, who fielded new signings Petric and Sascha Riether, while Hugo Rodallega made his debut from the bench.

"We've got new players up front and Bryan Ruiz came back from his injury and played in the hole.

"I don't think we started in the way we wanted to but after that slow start we picked up the pace, then we slowed it down again so it wasn't exactly what we wanted from the start."

SaltfordWhite

Quote from: Mr Fulham on August 18, 2012, 07:25:03 PM
I'd love him to stay
We really showed off today but I think Clint still offers us something we currently don't have in our squad. He is still our best player and I'd be over the moon if he stays with us.

You know, I don't buy into these fine/refuse to play kind of thing.
We're protecting him and Dempsey's agent is generating a fair bit of noise.

It's not over until Jan Molby sings...you never know.

Hello everyone.

I couldn't agree more with this.  Dempsey is more than good enough to adapt into that side that played today, and I sincerely hope that he does too.

Motown

Quote from: Patterson on August 18, 2012, 07:23:47 PM
I think this is a case of the media attention unsettling both sides more than it may seem.  I think that if it calms down and things settle down a bit that Clint could very well see that not moving is not a failure for him.  Today certainly helped our chances of seeing him play again in a Fulham jersey.

You know, we've been going off hearsay and second-hand quotes mostly and I don't think any of us know the real situation between Clint and the club.  It may not be as irreparable and ugly as it seems to us on the outside.  The media have a way of turning mundane quotes into MASSIVELY IMPORTANT STATEMENTS.  Things are never as the papers make them seem.

It's quite simple really, and has bugger all to do with the media. CD wants out because he sees a potential rung up the ladder. Any interested clubs (Liverpool being one of them, fact) are merely jockeying to get him on the cheap given the following parameters: his age and the fact that he can walk free and clear after the next season. The 10-12 mill figures I've seen quoted on here are laughable, it isn't going to happen. If we can grind out 4 or 5 mill, the job's a good 'un and I will wish him well.

He'll be gone before the window closes - it's only a question of how much a prospective suitor wants to pay, waiting for a season to get him free, and how much we can squeeze it.

MJG

I think the results of Liverpool and Arsenal today may well make them move quickly if they are really interested in him.
That's what we need to maximize our income..a bidding war.

mccscratch

Quote from: MJG on August 18, 2012, 08:16:07 PM
I think the results of Liverpool and Arsenal today may well make them move quickly if they are really interested in him.

indeed...

I was hoping that Sunderland stole a win in the end just for this reason...
Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise

fulhamben

Quote from: Motown on August 18, 2012, 08:10:24 PM
Quote from: Patterson on August 18, 2012, 07:23:47 PM
I think this is a case of the media attention unsettling both sides more than it may seem.  I think that if it calms down and things settle down a bit that Clint could very well see that not moving is not a failure for him.  Today certainly helped our chances of seeing him play again in a Fulham jersey.

You know, we've been going off hearsay and second-hand quotes mostly and I don't think any of us know the real situation between Clint and the club.  It may not be as irreparable and ugly as it seems to us on the outside.  The media have a way of turning mundane quotes into MASSIVELY IMPORTANT STATEMENTS.  Things are never as the papers make them seem.

It's quite simple really, and has bugger all to do with the media. CD wants out because he sees a potential rung up the ladder. Any interested clubs (Liverpool being one of them, fact) are merely jockeying to get him on the cheap given the following parameters: his age and the fact that he can walk free and clear after the next season. The 10-12 mill figures I've seen quoted on here are laughable, it isn't going to happen. If we can grind out 4 or 5 mill, the job's a good 'un and I will wish him well.

He'll be gone before the window closes - it's only a question of how much a prospective suitor wants to pay, waiting for a season to get him free, and how much we can squeeze it.
laughable? how much did the arsenal player who is the same age with the same length on his contract go for. and how many more goals did he score from a more advanced position.now factor in who spendsmore time on the physios bench and then tell me  its laughable. going rates are going rates. hell wolves value there squad at 200 million.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

cebu

Quote from: mccscratch on August 18, 2012, 08:21:56 PM
Quote from: MJG on August 18, 2012, 08:16:07 PM

indeed...

I was hoping that Sunderland stole a win in the end just for this reason...

I'm sure Wenger will be pi$$ed off enough because of the draw - he needs a £10m+ free scoring midfielder, but Arsenal don't have him, we do!

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Ordar on August 18, 2012, 06:16:27 PM
Arsenal and Liverpool will come in for him. I think thats absolutely certain. £10-12 mil would be impossible to turn down. Looking at those 2 sides though, I cant see either accomplishing anything this year
Liverpool just signed a left sided midfielder and Arsenal don't generally sign players close to 30. If he is to go anywhere it will probably be West Ham. That will be very hard to take.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Terry Angus on August 18, 2012, 06:20:23 PM
if demspey were available today, where would you have him in that starting xi?! unless he can play on the wing, i wouldn't have him in that team anyway. if he signs a new deal, good. if we sell him for £4m or more, even better. worst outcome in my eyes is just being stuck with him without him committing to the club and leaving for free next year
If he were to sign an extension I would give him his place back. He is a guaranteed source of goals and the interplay with Ruiz and Dembele has been excellent. Kacaniklic looked very good today as well but he won't always play that well.

Terry Angus

Quote from: The Moose on August 18, 2012, 08:46:02 PM
Quote from: Terry Angus on August 18, 2012, 06:20:23 PM
if demspey were available today, where would you have him in that starting xi?! unless he can play on the wing, i wouldn't have him in that team anyway. if he signs a new deal, good. if we sell him for £4m or more, even better. worst outcome in my eyes is just being stuck with him without him committing to the club and leaving for free next year
If he were to sign an extension I would give him his place back. He is a guaranteed source of goals and the interplay with Ruiz and Dembele has been excellent. Kacaniklic looked very good today as well but he won't always play that well.

where would you put him though? you'd have to put him on the wing, which wouldn't work so well, or push ruiz out wide, and i think ruiz will be our most important attacking player.

i'm not being facetious. his entourage will surely hammer me for daring to question the talent of the USA's/world's best player (see about 15 posts up) but i'm genuinely curious as to where jol/fans would slot him in after today.

SaltfordWhite

I find it quite surprising that so many people would struggle to fit our player of the year from last season into the side after one game without him.

BarryP

Quote from: SaltfordWhite on August 18, 2012, 09:52:05 PM
I find it quite surprising that so many people would struggle to fit our player of the year from last season into the side after one game without him.

I find it almost amusing that people who were insisting that we should listen to what they thought Martin Jol said in his interview yesterday don't have the same thought process today.

Actual quotes from Martin Jol

"I don't want to hear the fans were chanting against him because he was a terrific player for us,'' Jol told a press conference. "He was the most productive midfield player in the whole league last season.''

"Hopefully he will play for us again,'' the Fulham boss added.

As others have pointed out Dempsey would slot right back in on the left where he has played in the past if he returns and Kaka will return to the bench.  As much as we don't want it to be as fans a big part of football is business and sometimes business is harsh in both directions.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

MJG

and that is the problem with Dempsey and why hardly any team has come in for him and also why five managers have started with him on the bench.Where do you play him? He's not a winger in that sense, he's not a CF either, that's why managers are not sure about him at the start. He's a hard sell to a chairman I suspect as well.

nevzter

Quote from: MJG on August 18, 2012, 10:10:37 PM
and that is the problem with Dempsey and why hardly any team has come in for him and also why five managers have started with him on the bench.Where do you play him? He's not a winger in that sense, he's not a CF either, that's why managers are not sure about him at the start. He's a hard sell to a chairman I suspect as well.

Are we talking about the same player?  Can't find a place for him after one match?  Of course he comes back in - he knows where the goal is.  Alongside Petric with Ruiz roaming about - that's nasty.  I'd as well love him to come back, but it's highly unlikely...
"To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable."

MJG

Quote from: nevzter on August 18, 2012, 10:22:49 PM

Are we talking about the same player?  Can't find a place for him after one match?  Of course he comes back in - he knows where the goal is.  Alongside Petric with Ruiz roaming about - that's nasty.  I'd as well love him to come back, but it's highly unlikely...
im not saying he would or should not be in the XI. I was giving reasons why people struggle to fit Dempsey in a team. A team that won five zip today and then potential teams looking at him.
One of the pluses today was our width (on the left) which we lose when he plays the team becomes very lopsided as proved by some stats last season.
Im in the minority but I don't think Dembele/Ruiz/Dempsey can play all together in the front six.

nevzter

Quote from: MJG on August 18, 2012, 10:44:25 PM
Quote from: nevzter on August 18, 2012, 10:22:49 PM

Are we talking about the same player?  Can't find a place for him after one match?  Of course he comes back in - he knows where the goal is.  Alongside Petric with Ruiz roaming about - that's nasty.  I'd as well love him to come back, but it's highly unlikely...
im not saying he would or should not be in the XI. I was giving reasons why people struggle to fit Dempsey in a team. A team that won five zip today and then potential teams looking at him.
One of the pluses today was our width (on the left) which we lose when he plays the team becomes very lopsided as proved by some stats last season.
Im in the minority but I don't think Dembele/Ruiz/Dempsey can play all together in the front six.

Fair enough, sir.  The width was evident today (at least compared to season's past).
"To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable."

SaltfordWhite

Didn't those three play together last season, and didn't we do sort of ok?

HatterDon

Quote from: SaltfordWhite on August 18, 2012, 11:37:21 PM
Didn't those three play together last season, and didn't we do sort of ok?

Yes, and Ruiz and Dempsey had this magic synergy between them, but we don't want to be talking facts here.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

cottagecornerreject

"Someone told him Liverpool wanted him and his head was turned, but for us there was nothing on the table."

Have a feeling it was clints' worthless agent and he caused all of this which was completely unnecessary and caused so much harm on both sides.