Started by stokesy, August 18, 2012, 05:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hongkongfulham

Quote from: nevzter on August 18, 2012, 10:48:08 PM
Quote from: MJG on August 18, 2012, 10:44:25 PM
Quote from: nevzter on August 18, 2012, 10:22:49 PM
Quote from: MJG on August 18, 2012, 10:10:37 PM
Quote from: SaltfordWhite on August 18, 2012, 09:52:05 PM
I find it quite surprising that so many people would struggle to fit our player of the year from last season into the side after one game without him.
and that is the problem with Dempsey and why hardly any team has come in for him and also why five managers have started with him on the bench.Where do you play him? He's not a winger in that sense, he's not a CF either, that's why managers are not sure about him at the start. He's a hard sell to a chairman I suspect as well.

Are we talking about the same player?  Can't find a place for him after one match?  Of course he comes back in - he knows where the goal is.  Alongside Petric with Ruiz roaming about - that's nasty.  I'd as well love him to come back, but it's highly unlikely...
im not saying he would or should not be in the XI. I was giving reasons why people struggle to fit Dempsey in a team. A team that won five zip today and then potential teams looking at him.
One of the pluses today was our width (on the left) which we lose when he plays the team becomes very lopsided as proved by some stats last season.
Im in the minority but I don't think Dembele/Ruiz/Dempsey can play all together in the front six.

Fair enough, sir.  The width was evident today (at least compared to season's past).

I actually though alot of our width came from Riise on the left the lad does not stop running! not taking anything away from kaca though, just not gonna replace dempsey with similar quality in this window (if there is someone you think i would honestly like to look at them) so as a squad its best if he is about, that much i dont think can be denied.

JimmyDunnesBum

Quote from: mccscratch on August 18, 2012, 07:01:53 PM

Quote from: Terry Angus on August 18, 2012, 06:20:23 PM
if demspey were available today, where would you have him in that starting xi?! unless he can play on the wing, i wouldn't have him in that team anyway. if he signs a new deal, good. if we sell him for £4m or more, even better. worst outcome in my eyes is just being stuck with him without him committing to the club and leaving for free next year

terry could have put his point a different way , that being dempsey isn't indispensable to this current team  . and yesterday went some way to backing up terry's argument .

BarryP

Quote from: hongkongfulham on August 19, 2012, 04:03:42 AMI actually though alot of our width came from Riise on the left the lad does not stop running! not taking anything away from kaca though, just not gonna replace dempsey with similar quality in this window (if there is someone you think i would honestly like to look at them) so as a squad its best if he is about, that much i dont think can be denied.

A lot of our width did come from Riise but it did look like on average Kacankilic stayed wider and was more likely to provide a cross in then Dempsey.  However, Kaka's goal came from taking up a position in front of the goal and taking advantage of an exquisite Petric back heel pass.  It was quite Dempseyesqe in fact but some will conveniently ignore that for the sake of their argument.  

Dempsey is not indispensable as JimmeDunnesBum indicates above but from his comments Jol seems to believe Fulham would be a better squad with Clint than without him and I for one agree.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

MasterHaynes

Quote from: SaltfordWhite on August 18, 2012, 11:37:21 PM
Didn't those three play together last season, and didn't we do sort of ok?
We did, but we are now further along on in the Jol project, we no longer have a big target man in Zamora/Pog with Clint the main recipient for lay offs and late runs while they held up the ball.

Yesterday saw us playing with more width and more mobile forwards in Petric & Rodellaga/Kacalinic, breaking faster from the back using the width of the pitch. Clint may well be able to adapt but he has competition now with more natural players with pace in Rodellaga. Kaca and Frei

epsomraver

Quote from: The Moose on August 18, 2012, 08:46:02 PM
Quote from: Terry Angus on August 18, 2012, 06:20:23 PM
if demspey were available today, where would you have him in that starting xi?! unless he can play on the wing, i wouldn't have him in that team anyway. if he signs a new deal, good. if we sell him for £4m or more, even better. worst outcome in my eyes is just being stuck with him without him committing to the club and leaving for free next year
If he were to sign an extension I would give him his place back. He is a guaranteed source of goals and the interplay with Ruiz and Dembele has been excellent. Kacaniklic looked very good today as well but he won't always play that well.

Nor will Dempsey, he had some poor games as well when he cannot be arsed to try, he is history, move on, Jol told BZ he loved him like a son, look where he is now!

cebu

Maybe "Loved him like a son" is a Dutch idiom meaning "feck off!" Please excuse my Dutch ... :dft009: