watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

if Clint stays....

Started by WhiteJC, August 18, 2012, 07:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

itombomb

You can't play Dempsey and Ruiz in the same team and get the best out of both of them.

I prefer the balance to the side with the free role given to the 10 rather than the left winger as it allows for greater flexibility in midfield.

Definitely wouldn't bring Dempsey in.

jarv

Demps. has an ink blot on his record now.I expect he will have to win over not only Jol but some of his team mates too (if he stays).

God The Mechanic

None of the first teamers are one club players, I'd be very surprised if they think any less of him for wanting a move elsewhere.  The likes of Kaca and Frei will probably be encouraged by it, knowing a starting spot is up for grabs :P

This is bearing in mind we don't know what's gone on or been said behind closed doors...

psand22

Unless he's sold in the next two weeks, he should be in the starting line up....somewhere.

Logicalman

I don't think its because he wants away, but I would imagine they might not be impressed with the apparent refusal to play.

cebu

Quote from: Logicalman on August 19, 2012, 02:30:18 AM

I don't think its because he wants away, but I would imagine they might not be impressed with the apparent refusal to play.

"Refusal to play" - not according to Jol here:

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/live/match-reaction/261563/fulham-5-norwich-0

"To say he refused to play is probably a bit harsh but he wanted to move and if you want to move, you don't want to take risks so you don't want to play in case you get an injury. So for me that was a very awkward situation and it was for him as well.

"There is nothing on the table from Liverpool. Maybe Clint knows more than us but we feel he should stay if there is no other bid."

Logicalman

That's why I used the term 'apparent' ahead of it.

Then again, if I was paid to do a job, and I was likely to be picked to do that job because I was one of the best available, and I didn't want to do so because I didn't want something happening to me, then that's the same as a refusal. He is not currently injured, and, according to MJ, there is no offer on the table from Liverpool. Just because MJ is being diplomatic, and quite rightly so as he wants Demps not to feel slighted at all.

What might be more of interest is the phrase "..Maybe Clint knows more than us but we feel he should stay if there is no other bid.." smacks of distrust on MJ's part, especially as any other club, including Liverpool should be talking to the club, NOT the player first. It's called Tapping Up, and is illegal.

hongkongfulham

Quote from: cebu on August 19, 2012, 02:45:46 AM
Quote from: Logicalman on August 19, 2012, 02:30:18 AM

"Refusal to play" - not according to Jol here:

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/live/match-reaction/261563/fulham-5-norwich-0

"To say he refused to play is probably a bit harsh but he wanted to move and if you want to move, you don't want to take risks so you don't want to play in case you get an injury. So for me that was a very awkward situation and it was for him as well.

"There is nothing on the table from Liverpool. Maybe Clint knows more than us but we feel he should stay if there is no other bid."

Was about to post this. Sounds like MJ is back tracking a wee bit, maybe because of supporter backlash. When all is said and done im sure Clint will come out with his truth whether he is here or not. But at this stage i think its better suited that he leave and we get some compensation for his performances the last couple of season. It can be easy to forget all the good he did us by hearing half truths and rumors but personally, whilst i loved it when he was on song, sometimes he faded from games and i wont miss his persistent attempts at 30 yard screamers.

great result though! bring on utd.

COYW

p.s. who didnt smile a tad when they heard are you watching clint dempsey?

hongkongfulham

Additionally, just to compare, it looks like sinclair wants out of swansea and is in the last year of his contract. However he didnt start yesterday came off the bench, notched, and is training hard according to Laudrup. No situation is the same but food for thought...

Chutney

Kacaliknic is better than dempsey, and a way more professional person as a whole  1499
C O Y W

Berserker

On MOTD Alan Hanson said Jol had handled the Dempsey situation well, then when Lineker suggested Clint might stay with us Shearer suggested not.
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

cebu

Quote from: Logicalman on August 19, 2012, 02:52:49 AM
That's why I used the term 'apparent' ahead of it.

Then again, if I was paid to do a job, and I was likely to be picked to do that job because I was one of the best available, and I didn't want to do so because I didn't want something happening to me, then that's the same as a refusal. He is not currently injured, and, according to MJ, there is no offer on the table from Liverpool. Just because MJ is being diplomatic, and quite rightly so as he wants Demps not to feel slighted at all.

What might be more of interest is the phrase "..Maybe Clint knows more than us but we feel he should stay if there is no other bid.." smacks of distrust on MJ's part, especially as any other club, including Liverpool should be talking to the club, NOT the player first. It's called Tapping Up, and is illegal.

"Then again, if I was paid to do a job, and I was likely to be picked to do that job because I was one of the best available, and I didn't want to do so because I didn't want something happening to me, then that's the same as a refusal." Refusal is what Modric allegedly did at Spurs and was fined wages because of it, whereas being scared of injury and not putting your body on the line 100% isn't. But it is a reason not to want a player in the squad.

"Just because MJ is being diplomatic, and quite rightly so as he wants Demps not to feel slighted at all." Did you chat to Jol? From here it looks like classic management back pedaling from some awkward (usually self-inflicted) position.

"... Tapping Up" indeed is well known to be illegal - but if MAF/his legal team perceived it to be the case, that L'pool had tapped up Dempsey, I suspect that MAF once more would have his day in court because of it.

Lighthouse

Jol has dealt with the whole thing very well. Dempsey wants to leave and really why even include him unless he wants to play. Dempsey hasn't dealt with the situation very well. So has had to put up with fair and unfair criticism. All he had to do was put in a transfer request, spout some rubbish about loving Fulham but feeling it is time to move on and we would have loved him.

As for MOTD using the joke for the second time on the BBC about MAKEPEACE WITH DEMPSEY. Well it is not what it was.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

sumofallparts

Tevez and Mancini buried their grudges and ego's - Dempsey and Jol can patch it up easily. It will all be forgotten once he scores with his right, he scores with his left.......

fulhamben

Quote from: sumofallparts on August 19, 2012, 02:12:51 PM
Tevez and Mancini buried their grudges and ego's - Dempsey and Jol can patch it up easily. It will all be forgotten once he scores with his right, he scores with his left.......
tevez was on a big contract which no one else could afford. didnt some brazilian team try to buy him but failed to produce the funds. in short tevez had no where to go. westham put in a half decent bid for dempsey. and lets not forget dempsey has been telling people he is going to the plod meaning he has gone behind our backs and spoken to them, either in person or through his agent.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Jack Fulham

what is the point in him staying? he'll just want to leave in jan or next summer.

Jack Fulham

unless he is doing this to get a better contract.

NogoodBoyo

"... Tapping Up" indeed is well known to be illegal - but if MAF/his legal team perceived it to be the case, that L'pool had tapped up Dempsey, I suspect that MAF once more would have his day in court because of it."  said cebu.

Unfortunately, MAF has a poorer record in the courts than did Andy Murray.  Maybe, Pool can be MAF's Olympic gold.
Nogood "go for it, Mo" Boyo

cebu

Quote from: NogoodBoyo on August 19, 2012, 02:29:54 PM
"... Tapping Up" indeed is well known to be illegal - but if MAF/his legal team perceived it to be the case, that L'pool had tapped up Dempsey, I suspect that MAF once more would have his day in court because of it."  said cebu.

Unfortunately, MAF has a poorer record in the courts than did Andy Murray.  Maybe, Pool can be MAF's Olympic gold.
Nogood "go for it, Mo" Boyo

That's why I wrote "has his day in court"  :011:   MAF's track record has to improve some day.

BarryP

Quote from: Lighthouse on August 19, 2012, 01:03:24 PM
Jol has dealt with the whole thing very well.

Jol perhaps but has the club? We all want to believe that the club has handled this situation well.  I know I want to believe it is true but just on face value of Jol's statements after the initial Fulham public relations piece I am not sure that is entirely true.  

Just to be clear I am not accusing the club of being dishonest but we do need to acknowledge that the first Jol interview released discussing the Dempsey situation was not an interview it was a Fulham public relations piece designed to elicit a public reaction.  The club was in full control of the questions, the answers, the people asking and answering the questions and the editing and airing of the media piece.  There was nothing unbiased about it and it was 100% Fulham. It certainly elicited a reaction and once that reaction was elicited the club immediately began to soften their stance with the subsequent press interviews.  

One of two things seems true with regard to the public relations piece from Jol's interviews yesterday.  Either the club released a piece they knew would paint Dempsey in a bad light that the club always intended to back away from to offer him a way back or the piece received a stronger reaction than they anticipated or a reaction the club did not foresee and they felt the need to soften their stance so Dempsey could see a way back.    

If the club intended to paint Dempsey in a bad light and then soften their stance because they felt that put the club in the strongest possible position with relation to Dempsey's contract fair enough because Dempsey is attempting to do his own thing but let's also be honest and admit they are toying with the fans emotions by doing so.  If the club got an unintended response to the piece then we can't say the club has handled the situation well.    

I am going to put this in bold so certain posters have a harder time missing it. All of this in no way excuses Dempsey if he is flat out refusing to play when the club is requesting that he do so.  If that is the case.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."