watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

anyone else find it odd?

Started by Jack Fulham, August 20, 2012, 10:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Fulham

The season we finished 7th under Roy we scored 39 goals? We scored 5 on sat which we didn't really do under Roy.

Would be interesting to compare the differentiation in results between Hodgson, Hughes and Jol though. Under Hodgson, we kind of laboured against the poor teams but performed very well against the good ones. Hughes was good against poor teams, not very good vs the better teams and Jol has a bit of a mixed bag.

NogoodBoyo

I don't know jack, but I do find it odd, I do.
Nogood "odd todd, itis" Boyo

nose

Roy's teams were very organised and imensely suited to european style football but in my opinion were very dull. We rarely looked in much danger at the back but rarely broke from defence flooding forward. On saturday it was refreshing to see how quickly we turned defence into attack and how many players got forward to join in.
I suspect we will take one or two beatings of a kind we would never have expected from a roy team, but already under jol we have had a few very impressive big wins, and i suspect we will become a much more attacking, attractive side. As long as we score one more than the opposition I am in favour.

HatterDon

What I enjoyed is that -- occasionally -- we broke quickly in counter attack. I know that "route 1 football" is frowned upon, but it does make a nice change of pace from what we did last year: pass the ball sideways 8 or 10 times until the opponents got back in their half of the pitch and in position. It was pretty to watch, but very easy to defend.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Scrumpy

Quote from: HatterDon on August 21, 2012, 04:52:26 PM
What I enjoyed is that -- occasionally -- we broke quickly in counter attack. I know that "route 1 football" is frowned upon, but it does make a nice change of pace from what we did last year: pass the ball sideways 8 or 10 times until the opponents got back in their half of the pitch and in position. It was pretty to watch, but very easy to defend.

Exactly this. Jol has spoken in pre-season with the lads about 'mixing it up'. Last season was all very pretty, but all went down the middle of the field with never an option out wide. And as you say HD, too slow to really catch defences out. The long diagonal ball from Diarra or Hangeland to an on-rushing full back is creating a shed load of chances for us now. This began to work well towards the end of last season, once Riise got his fitness back, and has got better and better since.

I have to say that I am enjoying watching the present team (ie from about Christmas last year to date) more than any other since the Tigana Championship season. Is it too early to start worrying about the fact that Jol's contract only runs to the end of this season?  fp.gif
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: Scrumpy on August 21, 2012, 05:01:19 PM

Exactly this. Jol has spoken in pre-season with the lads about 'mixing it up'. Last season was all very pretty, but all went down the middle of the field with never an option out wide. And as you say HD, too slow to really catch defences out. The long diagonal ball from Diarra or Hangeland to an on-rushing full back is creating a shed load of chances for us now. This began to work well towards the end of last season, once Riise got his fitness back, and has got better and better since.

I have to say that I am enjoying watching the present team (ie from about Christmas last year to date) more than any other since the Tigana Championship season. Is it too early to start worrying about the fact that Jol's contract only runs to the end of this season?  fp.gif

Dont worry - the club have an option for a further year on Jol, so unless there is a disaster, I am sure he will be staying.

Berserker

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on August 21, 2012, 05:16:35 PM
Quote from: Scrumpy on August 21, 2012, 05:01:19 PM

Dont worry - the club have an option for a further year on Jol, so unless there is a disaster, I am sure he will be staying.

I had an discussion with a Chelsea fan yesterday who said he didn't see a problem with changing managers every year. He said that people critize Chelsea for it but they have won more trophies than anybody else, plus it hasn't done any harm to Real Madrid.
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

SP3

Makes a bit of a difference though if you can buy pretty much whoever the new bloke wants.

Berserker

Quote from: SP3 on August 21, 2012, 07:56:39 PM
Makes a bit of a difference though if you can buy pretty much whoever the new bloke wants.

Very true
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Scrumpy

Ah, that's good news. Cheers.
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.