https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Eduardo in talks discuss and Douglas to choose between us and newcastle

Started by Tooting legend, August 21, 2012, 11:13:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lighthouse

Quote from: jelmo on August 21, 2012, 12:19:38 PM
Quote from: Lighthouse on August 21, 2012, 12:08:03 PM
I am a little scared that we are interested in Douglas. I fear it means we will lose a member of the centre half squad. We seem to have a few of them. But I am told Douglas is class.

I would imagine that Senderos would be the one who would get replaced. Maybe Douglas would be first choice over Hughes.

Also, not sure if we would be able to comete with Newcastle regarding wages so I'd imagine that in a straight choice between Newcastle and Fulham he would opt for Newcastle. You never know though... Its not as if we have spent any cash this window so maybe we have something up our sleeves.

I wonder if Senderos injury is causing doubts over his fitness? But as you say it probably wont happen. Plus who can forget Halliche? Poor bloke squeezes onto the subs bench and we end up being linked with a centre half.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Reindeer

I'm detecting a bit of board snobbery here.  We don't do things like that around here, unless one of us does it, then it's OK.

Back to the original point, Douglas yes, Eduardo is a no no.  Don't think he'll ever be the same player as before.  He is also a bit of a cheat too from memory, a poor man's Suarez, so in the words of Duncan Bannatyne, I'm out.

malcbridger

Douglas has looked class whenever i've seen him play and for 4.5m he would be a bargain. A Douglas/ Hangeland central pairing would be awesome (with no disrespect to Aaron).

As far as Eduardo, much too risky at 7m, 29, injury prone, and mediocre scoring record at best. We need a younger striker if Trotta isn't ready to step up.

It seems that Fulham are definitely willing to splash the cash though, which is very positive. Whether this all depends on the Dempsey outcome, we will see. :group hug:

Mr_Moon

Malcbridger, what's the consensus on the ground about the supposed eventual appointment of Janković?

elgreenio

where's L-Wizzy? he's the go to guy for grammar and punctuation (do they still call it SPAG at school?) iirc.

Eduardo is not worth 7mil, though interesting what Jol said (was it in the program?) about buying quality players who are currently off form so we get them cheaper. Would put Eduardo in that bracket, but not at £7m
touch my camera through the fence

zzamora

Quote from: elgreenio on August 21, 2012, 12:39:57 PM
where's L-Wizzy? he's the go to guy for grammar and punctuation (do they still call it SPAG at school?) iirc.

064.gif  065.gif

Lighthouse

I gave up on pretending to spell and write with punctuation when it became acceptable to say Haitch for the letter aitch (H).
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Berserker

Wow argueing about grammer, that's abit highbrow. Anyway isn't there more important things to 'Discuss', haha ;-)
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Ordar

Eduardo is not worth 7mil, though interesting what Jol said (was it in the program?) about buying quality players who are currently off form so we get them cheaper. Would put Eduardo in that bracket, but not at £7m

That is worth bringing up actually. Jol seems to have a fine record of both bringing young players through and also picking up out of form players for cheap and revitilising them.

If we're going on that basis, in the Prem I think we could be looking at...

GK - None. Our GK situation is incredibly strong.
DF - Already picked up Reither who I'm happy with
MF - Huddlestone, Jenas, Ireland, Adam Johnson, Arshavin, Adam, Makoun
ST - Chamakh, Bendtner, Hernandez

Few decent names in there. Obviously some are a bit unlikely, and we'll probably look overseas anyway

Apprentice to the Maestro

Quote from: Ordar on August 21, 2012, 01:00:47 PM

That is worth bringing up actually. Jol seems to have a fine record of both bringing young players through and also picking up out of form players for cheap and revitilising them.

If we're going on that basis, in the Prem I think we could be looking at...

GK - None. Our GK situation is incredibly strong.
DF - Already picked up Reither who I'm happy with
MF - Huddlestone, Jenas, Ireland, Adam Johnson, Arshavin, Adam, Makoun
ST - Chamakh, Bendtner, Hernandez

Few decent names in there. Obviously some are a bit unlikely, and we'll probably look overseas anyway

You are right that Jol has a fine record of finding young upcoming players and cheap out-of-form experienced players.

I was a little disappointed with your list though. To me players like Jenas, Chamakh and Bendtner have been there or thereabouts but have never broken through into the top rank. Similarly players like Ireland and Arshavin have had one great season or shown their ability in flashes but you wonder if they can sustain it. Also, many will be on high wages.

I would be happier looking at players with class such as Douglas or Derek Boateng, or someone with potential like Jordan Rhodes.

Nightwind15

Quote from: Tooting legend on August 21, 2012, 11:13:09 AM
Discuss....... What do you think about these 2? 7million for eduardo and 4.5 million for Douglas....
I think if MAF has that much money to burn he should give it to Dempsey and get this over with. 
I played in the first match I ever saw!

Steven Ageroad

Perhaps Ruiz (Ex FC Twente) could have a word in Douglas' ear and tell him what a great club this is, in London, with a stadium that has great atmosphere, down by the river. Who wants to live in the North East anyway?!

Re Eduardo, NO, never been the same player since he broke his leg with Arsenal. Shame really because he was a very good player.

Senior Supporter

The mods adopt the sensible system of merging threads when appropriate, but I wonder whether there is a case for splitting them with ones like this. So confusing.  fp.gif

Anyway, to the point. I would be delighted if Douglas joined us, but not so thrilled if we signed Eduardo.

Oops no, sorry, what I intended was to ask ddeuce whether it is correct to say "get out of bed the wrong side". Shouldn't it be "get out of bed ON the wrong side"?

Ordar

Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on August 21, 2012, 01:32:44 PM
I was a little disappointed with your list though.

I would be happier looking at players with class such as Douglas or Derek Boateng, or someone with potential like Jordan Rhodes.

I agree with you. I was just looking at Premiership players to be honest. My knowledge of out of form, but decent players in other leagues is limited, so I thought I'd just mention some options that I know about.

Saying that, Bendtner Johnson and Hernandez would be good signings

MontenegroWhite

Why the hell we always look outside of EPL when we sign someone... Douglas is Brazilian, and I don't really think he is type of stopper we need (if we need... cause we have 5-6 CB already in the team). Bassong was far better option if Jol really need another central-defender. I think we look for players who will need much more time to adapt to EPL. That's why I preferred Fulham to sign Simpson from NUFC than Riether. I was wrong with that obviously :D

And I wouldn't be happy if we sign Eduardo (yes, he knows Petrić very well) but they are similar players. We need taller striker, like... Cameron Jerome type, strong tall target man.

zzamora

Quote from: MontenegroWhite on August 21, 2012, 02:27:11 PM
Why the hell we always look outside of EPL when we sign someone... Douglas is Brazilian, and I don't really think he is type of stopper we need (if we need... cause we have 5-6 CB already in the team). Bassong was far better option if Jol really need another central-defender. I think we look for players who will need much more time to adapt to EPL. That's why I preferred Fulham to sign Simpson from NUFC than Riether. I was wrong with that obviously :D

And I wouldn't be happy if we sign Eduardo (yes, he knows Petrić very well) but they are similar players. We need taller striker, like... Cameron Jerome type, strong tall target man.

Douglas> Bassong by about 100 miles.

FFC1987

Cameron Jerome and Bassong, I can't believe that I'm reading. While we are at it, why don't get get Titus Bramble and Carlton Cole...

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: FFC1987 on August 21, 2012, 02:35:13 PM

Cameron Jerome and Bassong, I can't believe that I'm reading. While we are at it, why don't get get Titus Bramble and Carlton Cole...

:005:

ToodlesMcToot

I wonder if the reason we are seemingly going after a CB "early" (don't seem to need one) is that we are further apart than we think with Hangeland's extension.

Just a thought.

That aside, we should definitely get Douglas if we can afford him and still address more pressing needs.

It's a no on Eduardo for me. Just can't see spending the money on him. Apply the money to picking up Rhodes and the player from Brescia.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude