News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Clint back training with the first team today...

Started by mccscratch, August 21, 2012, 09:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nightwind15

Anyone with ambition whether it is a office executive or footballer always keeps their options open and their resume's out there.  Leaving may be a mistake as may staying I am sure Dempsey has been pulled in two directions on this potential move as he has a great deal to thank Fulham for and vice versa.  If this move is not consummated then he will likely only have two more chances.  One will depend on how he performs this fall and the other next summer.  After that he will likely finish he time in the Prem with us and then go back to the States.  
I played in the first match I ever saw!

BarryP

Quote from: Mr Fulham on August 22, 2012, 11:18:40 AM
Quote from: NogoodBoyo on August 22, 2012, 01:58:55 AM
To me, he no longer wanted to be part of the club.  

That's rubbish, sorry. He wants/wanted to move to a bigger club who can guarantee him european football or Champions League.

It's every players dream (I can't really see why, but that's a different matter) so they obviously try and get there.

It was more of a case of him wanting to use his great form of last season to seal a transfer and not him not wanting to be part of this club anymore.  

As he once said...'I am a loyal dude'.

Loyalty yes, but the ambition to improve too. That's why he's such a good player in my opinion.

There are certain things on message boards that amuse me.  One that I have found amusing on here lately is some of the same posters that have long complained about Dempsey publicly saying he wanted to leave Fulham for Champions League Football are quite alright with Dembele's statement that he is using Fulham as a stepping stone.  A six and two three's as far as statements go in my mind with the only difference being the player that made the statement.  As one erudite poster recently noted, sometimes haters are goanna hate.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

LordNelson

It's jilted lover syndrome combined with a dash of xenophobia--"Oh really, you want to see other people, well guess what, you never really satisfied me.  I WAS FAKING IT THE WHOLE TIME.   :012:"
"The Right Honorable Lord Viscount Nelson K.B., Vice-Admiral of the WHITE ... Fulham expects that every man will do his duty!"

Jack Fulham

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on August 22, 2012, 12:53:59 PM
Quote from: Jack Fulham on August 22, 2012, 11:16:11 AM
Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on August 22, 2012, 01:22:43 AM
Quote from: ddeuce on August 21, 2012, 11:37:34 PM
This means he's probably realized his mistakes.

Good news...

and the club theirs

And they were?

1. Going public with it.....at all. Fulham have such a good reputation for keeping transfer dealings private and just getting on with their business. They could've kept all of this to themselves and just dealt with Demps and whichever clubs were/are interested.

2. Damaging the public reputation of a player that they want to keep and doing it for no good reason.

That's two that I know of. I'm sure there are more, just like I'm sure there are more on Clint's side of things than we don't know about.....be they minor or major.

by going public they've tried to encourage bids because we've had none and the player wants to leave. Clint damaged his own reputation.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: Jack Fulham on August 22, 2012, 02:29:44 PM

Good news...

and the club theirs

And they were?

1. Going public with it.....at all. Fulham have such a good reputation for keeping transfer dealings private and just getting on with their business. They could've kept all of this to themselves and just dealt with Demps and whichever clubs were/are interested.

2. Damaging the public reputation of a player that they want to keep and doing it for no good reason.

That's two that I know of. I'm sure there are more, just like I'm sure there are more on Clint's side of things than we don't know about.....be they minor or major.

by going public they've tried to encourage bids because we've had none and the player wants to leave. Clint damaged his own reputation.

All they needed to do was state that they've reached an impasse with the player and that he's now for sale. Instead, they chose to devalue him further by labeling him a malcontent. Unnecessary mistake.

We're still only going with the club's story here. So, he may have damaged his reputation and he may not have. The club certainly damaged his reputation. This benefits the club exactly how. Unnecessary mistake.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on August 22, 2012, 02:35:25 PM

Good news...

and the club theirs

And they were?

All they needed to do was state that they've reached an impasse with the player and that he's now for sale. Instead, they chose to devalue him further by labeling him a malcontent. Unnecessary mistake.

We're still only going with the club's story here. So, he may have damaged his reputation and he may not have. The club certainly damaged his reputation. This benefits the club exactly how. Unnecessary mistake.

Considering the club never mention transfers until they are completed, the Dempsey case must be particularly special. They also let go a few salient facts which would be completely pointless to say if they were untrue, such as the fact that Dempsey told everyone he was going to Liverpool.

What I think happened was that the club had reached a point where there needed to be some movement on Dempsey - either by him committing for the season or him moving on so Fulham could bring in the replacement.

It was not going to look particularly good for either side, but it was a calculated risk because Martin and Alistair probably wanted to know how the team would shape up for the coming season. Dempsey is a big part so his future roles is important.

Now what has happened, it would appear, is that all is quiet and Dempsey is once more training with the team with no bids being made by clubs he is interested in going to. This would seem to be a positive result for the club - Dempsey back in the fold and possibly looking to contribute next season.

LordNelson

063.gif
Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on August 22, 2012, 02:42:02 PM

Good news...

and the club theirs

And they were?

Considering the club never mention transfers until they are completed, the Dempsey case must be particularly special. They also let go a few salient facts which would be completely pointless to say if they were untrue, such as the fact that Dempsey told everyone he was going to Liverpool.

What I think happened was that the club had reached a point where there needed to be some movement on Dempsey - either by him committing for the season or him moving on so Fulham could bring in the replacement.

It was not going to look particularly good for either side, but it was a calculated risk because Martin and Alistair probably wanted to know how the team would shape up for the coming season. Dempsey is a big part so his future roles is important.

Now what has happened, it would appear, is that all is quiet and Dempsey is once more training with the team with no bids being made by clubs he is interested in going to. This would seem to be a positive result for the club - Dempsey back in the fold and possibly looking to contribute next season.

Excellent point, mate. Well put. I wonder if our upcoming match this weekend has anything to do with it as well?  No canaries to pluck on Saturday.
"The Right Honorable Lord Viscount Nelson K.B., Vice-Admiral of the WHITE ... Fulham expects that every man will do his duty!"

BarryP

Good news...

and the club theirs

And they were?

I think if the full facts were to ever come out you would be very close to spot on.  Pure speculation on my part of course.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

ToodlesMcToot

Good news...

and the club theirs

And they were?

My only point is that I believe both parties likely mucked this situation up moreso than it should've been. It seems, internally speaking, that it may have become a little more than just business and that, since, both parties have cooled it a bit.

It'll work out how it works out. Clint will continue the business of playing football and Fulham will continue the business of running their club. Let's just hope they're both successful at it however this ends up.

cmg

Now what has happened, it would appear, is that all is quiet and Dempsey is once more training...

Excuse my ingnorance, but do we, in fact know that this is the case?

This whole 4 pages of comment, speculation, invective, punching, biting and gouging has, it seems, been engendered solely by the reported and unconfirmed twittering, tweeting or twattering (whatever is the correct term) of a supposed, unidentified teenager from Wiltshire making a fleeting visit to Motspur Park. Nowhere else can I find any mention as to whether, or not, our wayward Texan hero has been embraced back into the fold. Four whole pages...and counting. What happens if we ever get any real information...'the goddam Library of Congress'?

Or have I missed something?

PaulUMD

Quote from: MJG on August 22, 2012, 08:33:50 AM
Quote from: grandad on August 22, 2012, 08:13:56 AM
All the gossip in the papers today tells of all the possible clubs interested in Dempsey are interested in other players. They all seem to have dropped him like a wet fish.
And does anyone have any reasons why clubs don't seem to want him?
I have given my tactical reasons before why we are not being trampled down by clubs, just wonder what other people think?
I will say I don't think it has anything to do with him 'being on strike'

I don't know, I bet if he was born in Nacodoches-On-Trent he'd be gone and we'd be sitting pretty with 12M quid to spend on a replacement by now.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: cmg on August 22, 2012, 03:03:22 PM

Now what has happened, it would appear, is that all is quiet and Dempsey is once more training...

This whole 4 pages of comment, speculation, invective, punching, biting and gouging has, it seems, been engendered solely by the reported and unconfirmed twittering, tweeting or twattering (whatever is the correct term) of a supposed, unidentified teenager from Wiltshire making a fleeting visit to Motspur Park. Nowhere else can I find any mention as to whether, or not, our wayward Texan hero has been embraced back into the fold. Four whole pages...and counting. What happens if we ever get any real information...'the goddam Library of Congress'?

Probably four more pages of "I knew it all along", "See. I told you so.", "You misunderstood me. What I really meant was..."

BarryP

I don't think you have missed anything.  This thread is pure speculation and either hopefulness or (insert your choice of despondent adjective) that Clint may have returned to training with the first team.

Apprentice to the Maestro

Good news...

and the club theirs

And they were?

1. The club had not said anything from when Dempsey returned to last week but how were they supposed to not say anything in the pre-match press conference? Maybe they should have put make-up on Kacaniklic and sent him out in a Dempsey shirt?

2. The club explained Dempsey's absence. If there was any damage to Dempsey's reputation it was through his own actions. If it was substantially untrue then Dempsey would have responded by now. He used to be a regular tweeter, I believe.

AlFayedsChequebook

You have not missed anything.

This board is 99% conjuecture and 1% fact, as with most things in life.

Quote from: BarryP on August 22, 2012, 02:16:51 PM

That's rubbish, sorry. He wants/wanted to move to a bigger club who can guarantee him european football or Champions League.

It's every players dream (I can't really see why, but that's a different matter) so they obviously try and get there.

It was more of a case of him wanting to use his great form of last season to seal a transfer and not him not wanting to be part of this club anymore.  

Loyalty yes, but the ambition to improve too. That's why he's such a good player in my opinion.

There are certain things on message boards that amuse me.  One that I have found amusing on here lately is some of the same posters that have long complained about Dempsey publicly saying he wanted to leave Fulham for Champions League Football are quite alright with Dembele's statement that he is using Fulham as a stepping stone.  A six and two three's as far as statements go in my mind with the only difference being the player that made the statement.  As one erudite poster recently noted, sometimes haters are goanna hate.

I don't think Dempsey said that he "wanted to leave Fulham for Champions League Football" but that he would like to play Champions League football. There is nothing wrong with that answer to a question about his future and I cannot recall posters making much fuss about that. So the situation over statements is similar to that with Dembele.

The difference is that Dembele has said that he is happy to stay and played on Saturday whereas Dempsey has said he wants to leave and didn't play on Saturday.

Is that clear now?

BarryP

Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on August 22, 2012, 03:28:16 PM
Quote from: BarryP on August 22, 2012, 02:16:51 PM

I don't think Dempsey said that he "wanted to leave Fulham for Champions League Football" but that he would like to play Champions League football. There is nothing wrong with that answer to a question about his future and I cannot recall posters complaining at that. So the situation over statements is similar to that with Dembele.

The difference is that Dembele hasa said that he is happy to stay and played on Saturday whereas Dempsey has said he wants to leave and didn't play on Saturday.

Is that clear now?

You have made thirty posts on this forum.  Perhaps there is a reason why you can't recall the statements I am referring to.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on August 22, 2012, 03:18:23 PM

Good news...

and the club theirs

And they were?

1. The club had not said anything from when Dempsey returned to last week but how were they supposed to not say anything in the pre-match press conference? Maybe they should have put make-up on Kacaniklic and sent him out in a Dempsey shirt?

2. The club explained Dempsey's absence. If there was any damage to Dempsey's reputation it was through his own actions. If it was substantially untrue then Dempsey would have responded by now. He used to be a regular tweeter, I believe.

1. I don't recall seeing anyone putting a gun to anyone's head. No need to throw out the kind of detail they threw out. How can one possibly assume that would make the situation better?
2. Yes. They explained his absence. And then they "qualified" their statements after the game. Do you know Demps personally? Or his agent? If not, how can you possibly know when or how he would respond. You are correct that he used to be a regular tweeter.

Good news...

and the club theirs

And they were?

Dempsey is under contract to play for the club for another year. So any `impasse' is of Dempsey's making.

PaulUMD

Greg Selzer, who, with apologies to Grant Wahl and Brian Straus, is the foremost expert on American footballers abroad, says that Fulham asked Dempsey not to train with the first team.  Not the other way around.  Jol's backing away from the "refuse to play" language makes this plausible.  He also intimated that Fulham has been shooing away potential bids, which has irritated Clint to some degree. 

Selzer has impeccable credibility over here and I can't remember him being wrong about something like this. 

For what it's worth.