watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - favourite live band / best gig

Started by Herbie, August 26, 2012, 09:23:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herbie

BBC 3 are currently showing the Foo Fighters' headline set from Reading Festival live and If I could only choose one more gig to go to ever it would be the Foo Fighters. They truly do rock, even more so if you see them live at a gig! (i couldn't find a rock emoticon)   :drums:

It got me wondering what mixture of musical tastes we have amongst the FoFers.  I know we sometimes have the music threads on here, but what are the best gigs that you've been to?  Any funny stories? Anyone met their idols?

CULTUREVULTURE

Most recently Joe Bonamassa. Saw him at Hammersmith last year, Brighton this year + Shepherds Bush next March.

fulhamben

best gig i ever went to was prince at the o2. the man can put on a show. plus he is one of the greates guitarists ever. also loved the killers at the o2 aswell
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

TWFL

Friendly Fires in Victoria Park, one of my favourite bands.

The Bronsons

I saw AC/DC in the Nashville in Fulham in about 1976. They had just come over from Australia and it was free entry as they weren't very well known. Absolutely brilliant.

If I could go back in time, though, I'd go see the Lurkers at the Red Cow in Hammersmith. Happy days.

Bassey the warrior

Godspeed You! Black Emperor. I'll be impressed if anyone's heard of them. Saw them in Butlins of all places. There's a festival there called All Tomorrow's Parties.

Berserker

I do go to quite a few live gigs so it's a bit of a job to say but i liked P J Harvey at Albert Hall, Pulp at Albert Hall, Public Image ltd Reading in a club, Hives at the Borderline, Primal Scream at Edin Hogmanay.
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Berserker

Oh yes Vaccines at Brighton were excellant
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

spikey norman

saw led zep at earls court 1975 absolutely awesome and queen in brighton with freddie mercury brilliant and bob marley  also in brighton absolutely jammin

HatterDon

I'm always pleased to discover that there is an band organized to fight Foo. It comforts me no end.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Mitch

Just got in from this gig (live in Windsor, so came home this morning for a clean up and back for the Foo's!).

Grohl knows how to work an audience and the Foo's are seriously all killer, no filler.

ToodlesMcToot

I have never seen a Flaming Lips show that I wasn't amazed by.

The early days of The Mars Volta.

James Brown when Maceo Parker was still in the band.

Prince.

Springsteen.

A one off show of some of the best Atlanta, Ga. musicians performing "Exile on Main Street". I still get goose bumps thinking about that show. Simply once in a lifetime since I was too young to have seen The Stones with Mick Taylor perform any of it.

U2 in front of about 1000 people......early days in The States.

.....off the top of my head. There are plenty more I could name.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

zzamora

Hands down, Hard Rock Calling this year.

Bruce Springsteen mega set,including acoustic Thunder Road, and then Paul McCartney and Him played I Saw Her Standing There and Twist and Shout.

Something Special.

Black Keys have a special part of my heart for being my first standing gig, and they have a top live show.

dont stand me down

Can I go for 2-
Brian Wilson-Pet Sounds tour festival Hall January 2002,and Dexys Midnight Runners,Don't Stand Me down tour Dominion Theatre 1985.I love posts like this.My next gig strangely is Dexys in September,is there anyone on here who doesn't think Kevin Rowland is a god like genius.

sacffc

My #1 is Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band at Georgetown University (Washington, DC) on December 6, 1975.  The album Hammersmith Odeon, London '75 was recorded 3 weeks earlier ( Bruce's first time in England), and when I bought the album (HIGHLY recommended) it brought back wonderful memories.

The show started with Thunder Road accompanied only by piano -- Bruce opened the show ddeuce mentioned above the same way and made reference to this show.  Material is from the first 3 albums only (all that was out at the time).  The band stretches out more than they did later in his career, to great effect.  My recollection was that they played Kitty's Back for half an hour, with everybody soloing.  It turns out it was only 17 minutes.  One of many awesome songs.

If you like Springsteen, you really should look for the album.
My music blog:  If you just Stand There and Play, is it worth listening to?

nevzter

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on August 27, 2012, 12:17:29 AM
I have never seen a Flaming Lips show that I wasn't amazed by.

The early days of The Mars Volta.

James Brown when Maceo Parker was still in the band.

Prince.

Springsteen.

A one off show of some of the best Atlanta, Ga. musicians performing "Exile on Main Street". I still get goose bumps thinking about that show. Simply once in a lifetime since I was too young to have seen The Stones with Mick Taylor perform any of it.

U2 in front of about 1000 people......early days in The States.

.....off the top of my head. There are plenty more I could name.

Amen, sir.  The Mars Volta are brilliant...I'm not a prog fan (are they prog?) but they rock. 
"To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable."

michaelread

he's from your country, no idea how popular he is, but frank turner puts on the best live show I have been to.

Recently his stuff has blown up in the scene, as it should, he's a tremendous writer and very humble, but back in the day before he had a backing band, he used to come out to Australia and play venues with just him and a guitar, he would take whiskey shots with us and we would all sing along to his songs all night until they shut the bar down.

Phenomenal performer.

Other than that, The National have to be my favourite live band. What an experience.

Legate21

Mumford and Sons, Radio1 tent at Reading 2010 for me. Had missed out tickets to see their warm ups, but wow, they were incredible. The atmosphere in the tent was just insane.

TonyGilroy

Best gig I ever attended came as a complete surprise to me.

Lionel Hampton closing the Capitol Jazz Festival in 1974. Not my sort of thing but the noise and energy was unbelievable and this was Hampton past his prime. He was all over the stage and most of the instruments with Illinois Jacquet and Arnott Cobb blasting out the riffs. I'm excited just thinking about it.

One of the happiest was Duane Eddy with Richard Hawley's band a few weeks ago. The band loved playing with him, he loved them and everyone in the audience was beaming.

Obviously not music as most people these days understand it. Their loss.

Mitch

Speaking of tents, I was in the middle of the tent for Greenday's secret gig in the NME/Radio 1 tent at Reading Festival on Saturday morning; pretty epic. Right at the end they re-opened the gates that they'd used to restrict capacity and literally tens of thousands of people charged to the tent for the finale. Felt good to be there watching them, considering they weren't even on the bill.