watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Books, John Irving

Started by BalDrick, August 29, 2012, 01:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BalDrick

Okay, to move away from all the Dembele stuff, anyone read any John Irving?

I have read, and quite enjoyed without being blown away, The World Acciording to Garp, but that was a while ago. Had a scroll through various reviews of his stuff on Amazon, seems atad on the gilry side but perhaps I got the wrong impression?
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

NickW

Just finished 'A Prayer for Owen Meany'. Brilliant read, thoroughly recommend it.

FFC1987

50 shades of gray is supposed to be good?

FP

I've read The World According to Garp some years ago. A dark readable novel, I highly recommend it

BalDrick

What about The Hotel New Hampshire and The Cider House Rules - anyone read either of them?

HatterDon

Quote from: BalDrick on August 29, 2012, 02:34:49 PM
What about The Hotel New Hampshire and The Cider House Rules - anyone read either of them?

I read both -- really loved the former; so-so on the latter
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

AmericanJames

Quote from: NickW on August 29, 2012, 01:18:55 PM
Just finished 'A Prayer for Owen Meany'. Brilliant read, thoroughly recommend it.

I read that jr year of high school (grade 11) and loved it, one of those books that kind of sticks with you. Elements of the plot still will randomly pop into my head.
Some people are literally too stupid to insult

RidgeRider

Quote from: HatterDon on August 29, 2012, 07:17:17 PM

agree. A Prayer for Owen Meany was quite good as well.

NogoodBoyo

A good New England boy who writes good New England prose about tortured family relationships and ....New England.  I love his books.
Nogood "more than seven dembele threads and a disgruntled Liverpuddlian, isit" Boyo

HatterDon

Quote from: RidgeRider on August 30, 2012, 02:13:35 AM
Quote from: HatterDon on August 29, 2012, 07:17:17 PM

agree. A Prayer for Owen Meany was quite good as well.

Yes it was. It completely bewitched me.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Berserker

I've read The Cider House Rules. I might have a read of the others now you mention them
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

BalDrick

Thanks all, may make the plunge later on today. Think The Hotel New Hampshire is winning - get the feeling Owen Meany may be his best, so may not enjoy much after that.

FFCAli

I've read most of his and always enjoyed them.  Not a quick read tho', you need a solid period of time  -  maybe on holiday?

The Equalizer

Never read any of the books, but I have seen all of the films!
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

domprague

I liked 'Brazil'. Would recommend it.
You came all this way ... and you lost, and you lost.

PokerMatt

This thread has inspired me to get A Prayer for Owen Meany on the old Kindle. I'll add it to my list of about 10 books and 15 long-form articles... so will get back to you in a year.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

BalDrick

Quote from: PokerMatt on August 30, 2012, 11:12:37 AM
This thread has inspired me to get A Prayer for Owen Meany on the old Kindle. I'll add it to my list of about 10 books and 15 long-form articles... so will get back to you in a year.

That soon?

I have ordered Hotel New Hampshire (plus found there was a Mankell in my basket which it seemed rude to delete). Currently hugely enjoying Keep the Aspidistra Flying

PokerMatt

Quote from: BalDrick on August 30, 2012, 12:41:35 PM
Quote from: PokerMatt on August 30, 2012, 11:12:37 AM

That soon?

I have ordered Hotel New Hampshire (plus found there was a Mankell in my basket which it seemed rude to delete). Currently hugely enjoying Keep the Aspidistra Flying

Yeah good point, I'd do well to read 10 in a year... maybe I'll bump it up the list.
Follow me: @mattdjourno